Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Me vs. my friend (Who is stupid?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 08:16 PM
fr0ng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoolin Z
You and your friend are both wrong actually.

Both you and your friend will wear your syncros by rev matching that way. In order to properly rev match a downshift to put no wear on your syncros you should:

1. Press in the clutch
2. Select neutral
3. Release the clutch
4. Blip the throttle
5. Press in the clutch
6. Select the gear
7. Release the clutch

You can do this within a fraction of a second with some practice. I taught my girlfriend to do this over a year ago and its made her downshifting much smoother.

Your way is better than his because its smoother, however you're still causing your syncros to do some work. If you do your method while braking, its not as bad (many road racers will do this because its the fastest way to slow down). Of course true road racers only care about their tranny lasting for the race they're currently in.

not double clutching like you should
lolz.

have you ever been on a race track?
Old 04-28-2007, 08:33 PM
skaterbasist

Spoolin Z...

It IS pointless to double clutching on our cars. Double clutching might have been beneficial on older cars, but it is completely pointless on out tranmission.

Simple rev-matching should do the job.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:49 PM
GG06Si

I downshift when I brake, nothing fancy just release th clutch slowly after going down a gear
Old 04-28-2007, 09:55 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this was the 40s, or early 50s, I could see this "discussion". The 40s/early 50s were the last time cars required double clutching.

Its 2007: no, you don't need to double clutch!
Old 04-28-2007, 10:05 PM
GG06Si

If spoolin wants to double clutch let him, what is it to you guys what he does to his car? If he belives it is good for the transmission than that his opinion
Old 04-29-2007, 06:59 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by Miko
Does double clutching really wear the disk, pressure plate, bearing, or other components?
Yes. Your pushing in the clutch twice and releasing it twice instead of once. It's like pushing on the brakes twice you get more wear than once. It's not worth it to save the syncros when the syncros are made for it. You will burn your clutch out faster this way.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:01 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

GG06Si he is trying to tell others that its bad on the car to not double clutch which is misinformation.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:16 AM
Mansmind

the synchros will do less work if you double clutch vs just straight downshifting. (I say less instead of none at all b/c noones perfect)

I typically stay out of these "discussions", but I'd be very interested in hearing why you think the above is true.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:29 AM
Spoolin Z

Originally Posted by Mansmind
I typically stay out of these "discussions", but I'd be very interested in hearing why you think the above is true.
Here is why:

When you do a simple rev match downshift, the green shaft (input shaft) matches the road speed which are the blue gears on the yellow shaft (output shaft). However the two shafts are connected by the red shaft (the layshaft) which matches the speed of the input and output shafts within the transmission. By just doing a simple rev match downshift you match the green shaft with the yellow/blue shaft however the red shaft is still spinning at the previous gears speed (slower) because that is the last speed at which the clutch was engaged. This means that your synchros will have to do some work to match the speeds of all three shafts (as they were designed to do).

When you double clutch, the green shaft (input shaft) spins with the red shaft because the clutch is engaged in neutral. (clutch pedal up with shifter in neutral). Once you push in the clutch and select the lower gear the green and red shafts are still spinning at the same speed and connect to the yellow/blue shaft. This means that the synchros will have to do little to no work to make all three shafts spin at the same speed since you did most of the work for them.

If this still confuses you, I'll try to find a simpler diagram that I can make a description for.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:41 AM
Spoolin Z

Originally Posted by G35_TX
Yes. Your pushing in the clutch twice and releasing it twice instead of once. It's like pushing on the brakes twice you get more wear than once. It's not worth it to save the syncros when the syncros are made for it. You will burn your clutch out faster this way.
It will put more wear on your throwout bearing and pressure plate fingers, however these two items should be replaced at every fresh clutch install (despite being able to use them for at least two clutch installs). Both of these items are included when you buy a new clutch and both will outlast the actual clutch disk by a good amount. Therefore, it is costing you nothing more to double clutch and its saving some wear on your sychros.

Synchros aren't expensive themselves, however it is very labor intensive to drop a tranny and pull it apart to replace individual synchros. So when the time does come, expect to spend no less than $1500 on a tranny rebuild. Of course this is something that will only occur many years/miles down the line.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:43 AM
ASW

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
I thought it was pointless to double clutch with our tranny?
it is. doubleclutching became pointless when synchros came around.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:45 AM
Spoolin Z

Originally Posted by fr0ng
not double clutching like you should
lolz.

have you ever been on a race track?
Yes I have, but I'm far from a pro and still ride with instructors.

Here is a video of some of the techniques I practice while driving on the track.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j-3xIZK-Bk
(notice the pumping of the clutch twice during the heel toe downshift).
Old 04-29-2007, 08:48 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

A clutch will last 150k of miles if you drive it properly. Double Clutching I can promise will cut the life in half. I have been driving standard cars for over 18 years and never had a issue with Syncros till my 04 G35 which had the known Syncro problem.

The Syncros in our Tranny are designed to not use Double Clutching. THERE IS NO REASON to do this. So stop spewing BS. We are not in the 50s anymore.

It will put more wear on your throwout bearing and pressure plate fingers, however these two items should be replaced at every fresh clutch install (despite being able to use them for at least two clutch installs). Both of these items are included when you buy a new clutch and both will outlast the actual clutch disk by a good amount. Therefore, it is costing you nothing more to double clutch and its saving some wear on your sychros.

Synchros aren't expensive themselves, however it is very labor intensive to drop a tranny and pull it apart to replace individual synchros. So when the time does come, expect to spend no less than $1500 on a tranny rebuild. Of course this is something that will only occur many years/miles down the line.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:52 AM
Mansmind

Here is why:

When you do a simple rev match downshift, the green shaft (input shaft) matches the road speed which are the blue gears on the yellow shaft (output shaft). However the two shafts are connected by the red shaft (the layshaft) which matches the speed of the input and output shafts within the transmission. By just doing a simple rev match downshift you match the green shaft with the yellow/blue shaft however the red shaft is still spinning at the previous gears speed (slower) because that is the last speed at which the clutch was engaged. This means that your synchros will have to do some work to match the speeds of all three shafts (as they were designed to do).

When you double clutch, the green shaft (input shaft) spins with the red shaft because the clutch is engaged in neutral. (clutch pedal up with shifter in neutral). Once you push in the clutch and select the lower gear the green and red shafts are still spinning at the same speed and connect to the yellow/blue shaft. This means that the synchros will have to do little to no work to make all three shafts spin at the same speed since you did most of the work for them.

If this still confuses you, I'll try to find a simpler diagram that I can make a description for.
I didn't say I was confused, I just said I wanted to see why you believe it. Thanks nonetheless.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:07 AM
07TouringZ

I'm still going to have to +1 on Spooling Z's explanation - the diagram explains how it was always explained to me, this is what I have always done...and I have a 360K mile clutch with original syncros on an '87 Golf to prove it
Old 04-29-2007, 09:07 AM
07TouringZ

either way, I think we can all agree to disagree on this one - doesn't look like we are making any headway. Cheers.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:12 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by 07TouringZ
I'm still going to have to +1 on Spooling Z's explanation - the diagram explains how it was always explained to me, this is what I have always done...and I have a 360K mile clutch with original syncros on an '87 Golf to prove it

Strange, I never did it this way and I had 389k on a old Nissan Pickup with the original clutch and syncros.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:15 AM
Miko

Wow, double clutching cuts clutch disc life in half. If true, I'll never double clutch again!
Old 04-29-2007, 09:19 AM
07TouringZ

Originally Posted by 07TouringZ
either way, I think we can all agree to disagree on this one - doesn't look like we are making any headway. Cheers.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:22 AM
Mansmind

Actually I think it's pretty simple. There was a time before synchros, double-clutching was necessary. Now we have them, and it's not.

Yeah, I suppose it will save wear on the synchros, but that IS what they're there for. Last thing I double-clutched was a tractor.

Personally, I've driven vehicles in excess of 300k miles with no issues whatsoever on a stock clutch/transmission. Being that I've never experienced a synchro problem in the last 24 years, I think I'll use the advantage of having the synchro.

Quick Reply: Me vs. my friend (Who is stupid?)