2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Sad Realization

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 07:08 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Sad Realization

Originally posted by nodeel
That I cannot afford the Z for at least 2 years.

I had to finance my last 2 years of college w/high interest credit card debt and have amassed 10k in debt.

Couple that with the fact that I'm trying to get engaged and need to save for a wedding ring, coupled with the fact that marriages are expensive.....it just seems as though a $560 monthly for a car.....well, its just not feasible.

I'm 22, and work for the largest Industrial Corporation in the world (we make Aircraft Engines, Medical Systems, etc) making $56,000 a year....and I cant afford a Z

To all you college kids - never touch a credit card....it got me through college, but at such a high cost
dude, it will end. I am 33, I bearly got out of a Honda Civic, I got my masters degree in Physical Therapy (I don't make a whole lot more $$ than you do, my wife only works part time, I have 2 daughters, and Had $116k student loan debt (now down to about $65k), I finally bought the car (my civic was 10 years old), and am getting ready to buy a cheap house (cheap in Orange County means around $300k and you get a SMALL 2-3 bedroom house). I am NOT where I want to be, but it has gotten MUCH better over the past year (I would be embarressed to print my income from only 1 year ago, for a person with a masters degree, it is an shame).

Hang in there, 22 is still VERY young, you have your whole life ahead of you. if you had a Z, you would have a car better than 95% of the rest of the world, waiting a few years will just make you appreciate it more

GOOD LUCK!!!

btw, congrats on the wedding, MUCH more important than a car!!
Old 04-21-2003, 07:08 PM
hockeygabor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well don't feel too bad...I've waited about 25 years before I was finally able to purchase a "Z" and the wait was sure worth it!
Old 04-21-2003, 07:30 PM
rodH

A little background about myself that makes this decision more "rational"

I am 22, i just graduated from university of Illionis (www.uiuc.edu) with a degree in Management Information Systems.

I was recruited by the company I interned for...but to a different branch. I interned at GE Appliances in Louisville Kentucky, but now work for GE Medical Systems in Milwaukee WI.

Originally from Chicago, my girifriend of 4 years is still there. She is practically my high school sweetheard, although we never really dated in high school - i was too busy "living" life by traveling to Europe, but always coming back to Chicago. We knew each other till we went to college - she went to Northwestern and now works for Allstate as an Actuary. When we do get married, our incomes together should cross $100,000 but we'll have married bills to pay.

I'm hoping in 2 years, I'll be ready to sell the Honda Accord couple I just bought today and get the Z, but we shall see.

Heres the picture of the car I JUST bought (2 hours ago) - $16,900 for a 2.4 LX w/5 Spd.

DUDE, over $100k in Kentucky?? umm, you should easily be able to afford a Z, I wouldn't want to tempt you the wrong way, and certainly don't know what bills you and your wife (to be) have, but man, $100k out there??

btw, Accords are Niiiiiiiiice, don't be ashamed!!! next time you think you NEED a Z, and it is driving you crazy, when you are walking out of a grocery store next time, and COUNT the # of cars that you'd rather have than your Honda, I bet money that there really aren't that many. That is what I would always do, when I got down and wanted a new car so bad, even though it was only a CIvic, I treated it like a ferarri, b/c to me, it was. I had some slight mods on it, so it looked good for a cheap car.

btw, some guys buy a Z just to get chics, you got yours, so hang on to her. The Z can come later. When I drove my civic, and had my wife sitting next to me, and I see a rich guy in his S500 with some fugly chic, who do you think was REALLY smiling inside?? HAving a Beautiful wife that you love is FAR more imprtant than a car you drive a few minutes everyday.
Attached Thumbnails Sad Realization-civic.jpg  
Old 04-21-2003, 07:43 PM
2003z

Originally posted by rodH
next time you think you NEED a Z, and it is driving you crazy, when you are walking out of a grocery store next time, and COUNT the # of cars that you'd rather have than your Honda, I bet money that there really aren't that many. That is what I would always do, when I got down and wanted a new car so bad, even though it was only a CIvic,
That has to be the best advice I've seen on keeping a car!
Old 04-21-2003, 08:11 PM
bigworm521

dude put some of that "Z money" you saved by getting the Accord into the market - everything is relatively cheap nowadays...
Old 04-21-2003, 08:36 PM
nodeel

DUDE, over $100k in Kentucky?? umm, you should easily be able to afford a Z, I wouldn't want to tempt you the wrong way, and certainly don't know what bills you and your wife (to be) have, but man, $100k out there??

btw, Accords are Niiiiiiiiice, don't be ashamed!!! next time you think you NEED a Z, and it is driving you crazy, when you are walking out of a grocery store next time, and COUNT the # of cars that you'd rather have than your Honda, I bet money that there really aren't that many. That is what I would always do, when I got down and wanted a new car so bad, even though it was only a CIvic, I treated it like a ferarri, b/c to me, it was. I had some slight mods on it, so it looked good for a cheap car.

btw, some guys buy a Z just to get chics, you got yours, so hang on to her. The Z can come later. When I drove my civic, and had my wife sitting next to me, and I see a rich guy in his S500 with some fugly chic, who do you think was REALLY smiling inside?? HAving a Beautiful wife that you love is FAR more imprtant than a car you drive a few minutes everyday.

LOL

no, i'm not in Kentucky anymore. I originally found this board when i was interning at GE Appliances in Kentucky. I'm not at GE Medical Systems in Milwaukee....significantly more taxes

I agree with the choice that I made - but there is a part of me that wishes I could have my cake and eat it too Think about it, Beautiful wife, home, wedding.....and the icing....350Z
Old 04-21-2003, 09:42 PM
copperhead

Get the 350Z dude. Get all your toys before you get married! When you get married your wife will get pregnaut and you will never, ever get a 350Z. You will get a Minivan!

Get your 350Z now! You make 55K+ a year with only 10K in credit card debt! Get the damn 350Z now! or.........buy a house! while the interest rates are low, then get the 350Z, then get married....but get married in vegas and get a $1000 ring, not a 10K ring or a 20K wedding...crazy, crazy......get the damn 350Z!!!!
Old 04-21-2003, 09:56 PM
rodH

Originally posted by copperhead
Get the 350Z dude. Get all your toys before you get married! When you get married your wife will get pregnaut and you will never, ever get a 350Z. You will get a Minivan!

Get your 350Z now! You make 55K+ a year with only 10K in credit card debt! Get the damn 350Z now! or.........buy a house! while the interest rates are low, then get the 350Z, then get married....but get married in vegas and get a $1000 ring, not a 10K ring or a 20K wedding...crazy, crazy......get the damn 350Z!!!!
what a miserable situation, do people wives really act like that?? What if your wife lets you get it and she likes cars too?? My wife and I have a policy-NO MINVANS!!!

I got 2 daughters, BUT my wife knows my passion for cars (what ever happened to "give and take"??). Guess you just have to marry a cool wife, sounds like lots of miserable people/marriages out there, I feel sorry for you guys. I guess if I had met and married the same girls you are talking about, I would get the Z too.

btw, my car far left, my wifes car far right (modded Jetta)
Attached Thumbnails Sad Realization-mbzvwfront.jpg  
Old 04-21-2003, 10:06 PM
nodeel

what a miserable situation, do people wives really act like that?? What if your wife lets you get it and she likes cars too?? My wife and I have a policy-NO MINVANS!!!

I got 2 daughters, BUT my wife knows my passion for cars (what ever happened to "give and take"??). Guess you just have to marry a cool wife, sounds like lots of miserable people/marriages out there, I feel sorry for you guys. I guess if I had met and married the same girls you are talking about, I would get the Z too.

btw, my car far left, my wifes car far right (modded Jetta)
LOL
My girlfriend would NEVER get a minivan. She grew up in a family of Volvo and BMW station wagons rather than the people movers, and she herself drives a Civic EX 5 Spd. She'll actually be considering the RSX Type S whne i'll be considering my Z in 2 years....hopefully we wont have a rehash of the 90-96 Z, power cutbacks and finally ending the line....
Old 04-22-2003, 01:14 AM
BDM

Default Re: Re: i don't get it

More like $2600 a month after 401k, taxes, medical, etc.
OUCH. That reminds me about my days back when I was in the corporate world (end of '98), I was making 37,300 a year and was due for a raise. I took home a little more than 900 every 2 wks because I had to pay for part of my medical, dental, and life ins. and I was putting a lot into my 401K. I changed careers (to law enforcement) and took a pay cut down to about 32,000 a year. But I took home more because I pay 0 for medical, dental, and life ins. I also end up spending less because we have take home cars and don't use my gas to go to work and back (I was filling up about 2.5 times per week because I worked in another town). It also saves wear and tear on my personal car - and it's resale/trade-in value remains higher because I'm keeping the back and forth to work miles off it. The amount of money I spend on clothes has also gone down - for obvious reasons.

And the best part is - this job is WAY more entertaining than
1) sitting behind a computer crunching numbers to find a more economical freight set-up
2) calling around trying to set up a jet charter for a box of screws so my company wouldn't shut an auto plant down and get charged back $30,000 a minute
3) testing a new freight / inventory system that my company designed and spent over $1,000,000 on and finding bug after bug that they chose not to fix since they later decided to sell the division that was going to use it.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:25 AM
BDM

Think about it, Beautiful wife, home, wedding.....and the icing....350Z
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not do all of this your first year out of college.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:46 AM
jj1814

Sweet Choice!!! (the Accord Coupe)

I trailed my friend to a Honda dealership this morning to drop her '92 Accord off for service (I still think the '90-'93 Accords are SOOO hot!). I was looking at the Accord Coupe and MAN!!! That car is nice. They coulda done away with the Sedan though LoL that thing is hideous in the back.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:19 AM
rodH

Originally posted by nissan350z
Sweet Choice!!! (the Accord Coupe)

I trailed my friend to a Honda dealership this morning to drop her '92 Accord off for service (I still think the '90-'93 Accords are SOOO hot!). I was looking at the Accord Coupe and MAN!!! That car is nice. They coulda done away with the Sedan though LoL that thing is hideous in the back.
agreed, the new Sedan doesn't look that great, I dont like the rear end either.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:11 AM
DeludedBuzz

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Yeah the new Accord Coupe looks nice, while the Sedan looks like *** in the *** But man I wish Nissan would get their NAVI up to date like Honda's. I was thinking about NAVI on the z but didn't because it sucked so much...

But back to the topic...

It's a good thing some of you guys don't live in the Bay Area California. Anything below 100k is living below the poverty level!

Anyways, it's a toss up. Live life to the fullest now when you are young. OR set yourself up financially so that you can enjoy life more for the rest of your life.

If I were you, wait on the Z, pay off your credit card debts, buy a home and then use equity to buy the twin turbo Z when it comes out in 4 years or so (heh).
Old 04-22-2003, 09:53 AM
del105
15 f125

Good advice about buying a house first. It really bothers me when people have really nice cars and park them next to their $500 a month apartment.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:01 AM
jj1814

Originally posted by del105
Good advice about buying a house first. It really bothers me when people have really nice cars and park them next to their $500 a month apartment.
My rent is $685 lol....funny thing is, I dont want a house That high property taxes, a lot more electricity to be paying, house insurance, a yard to keep up....

Well..I think I would get a townhouse.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:09 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Default Re: Re: Re: i don't get it

Originally posted by BDM

And the best part is - this job is WAY more entertaining than...
Thats what I hear from my gf all day (she works for LAPD) .. in fact so much that i'm signing up as a tech reserve.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:21 PM
zeroday

Originally posted by 350zSpeedRacer
It's all good, though. Turns out, I'm kinda on the fast track at my new job--they're prepping me for the CEO position in 10 years.
I think you're probably kidding but just in case I'd be a little skeptical of the person telling you that. Never heard of such a thing. 10 years is a very long stick to be dangling a carrot from in any case.

with this economy i'm totally impressed at the salaries you guys are pulling in fresh out of college! I work for the federal reserve system as a network security engineer and many of you are making more than anyone we've ever hired coming straight out of college...for any position really. I know this because our salary grade levels are public. Our research dept. has a few heavy hitters from Ivy league schools that started around 50k but most are less than that. Having been in IT for 7 years i'm a little ahead of some of you guys as far as pay is concerned but I was making 30k when I graduated 7 years ago from PSU and at the time I thought that was great LOL.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:06 PM
Ozzie

Man, o man, are some of u up urselves...
Old 04-22-2003, 07:19 PM
alex30327

There is no way you make 56K a year and cannot afford a Z! You should go see a finacial planner! Unless you are way into debt beyond anything you have mentioned on your post, you should be able to afford a Z!! I just got engaged, spent $11K on the ring, have to pay for the "Honey moon" etc. and still got my Z and a $270K house. I don't make a whole lot more than you do, and can easily afford my monthly payments of $528.38 a month. Get your priorities straight!! Its either the Z or no woman! For some reason, I have the inclination that maybe you fudged on your salary! If you break it down, after taxes from your tax bracket, you bring home $39,200 after taxes, am I correct? This means that after taxes, you should have around $3,266 cash per month for living expenses. I don't know where you live, or what the cost of living is where you are, but you should easily be able to afford a $500 car payment on that salary!

Quick Reply: Sad Realization