Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Sad Realization

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 09:58 PM
nodeel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sad Realization

That I cannot afford the Z for at least 2 years.

I had to finance my last 2 years of college w/high interest credit card debt and have amassed 10k in debt.

Couple that with the fact that I'm trying to get engaged and need to save for a wedding ring, coupled with the fact that marriages are expensive.....it just seems as though a $560 monthly for a car.....well, its just not feasible.

I'm 22, and work for the largest Industrial Corporation in the world (we make Aircraft Engines, Medical Systems, etc) making $56,000 a year....and I cant afford a Z

To all you college kids - never touch a credit card....it got me through college, but at such a high cost
Old 04-20-2003, 10:21 PM
tturbozx66

Default Re: Sad Realization

Originally posted by nodeel
That I cannot afford the Z for at least 2 years.

I had to finance my last 2 years of college w/high interest credit card debt and have amassed 10k in debt.

Couple that with the fact that I'm trying to get engaged and need to save for a wedding ring, coupled with the fact that marriages are expensive.....it just seems as though a $560 monthly for a car.....well, its just not feasible.

I'm 22, and work for the largest Industrial Corporation in the world (we make Aircraft Engines, Medical Systems, etc) making $56,000 a year....and I cant afford a Z

To all you college kids - never touch a credit card....it got me through college, but at such a high cost
Why didn't you get a student loan instead of high insterest cc?
Old 04-20-2003, 10:27 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember that "Got Milk" commercial?

"A cubic zirconia looks just like a real diamond"
Old 04-20-2003, 10:36 PM
nodeel

Default Re: Re: Sad Realization

Originally posted by tturbozx66
Why didn't you get a student loan instead of high insterest cc?
Because since my parents wouldn't co-sign, I couldn't get approved. My parents and I do not....well...lets just say we're not the closest family in the world.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:36 PM
mark_wilkins

Nodeel: You can't expect to afford everything straight out of college! It took me ten years of drooling over this class of car after college to comfortably afford one.

-- Mark
Old 04-20-2003, 11:35 PM
BDM

This probably sounds like odd advice, but buy the Z and DON'T get married. You're 22 and you've spent the last several years of your life working to get to the position you're in. You've probably had to make numerous sacrifices to get to where you are (work long hours at a crappy job while you took classes, tight budget, etc.). You need to recharge and reward yourself - life isn't meant to be something off in the distance you're working toward all the time. Even if the girl you want to marry is the most wonderful person to have ever walked the planet, it's more about you experiencing a few things before settling down with a family. If you're "meant to be together" you'll still be "meant to be together" 2 years from now. Travel to some foreign countries, buy a Z and autocross, take acting classes and join a local theater group, take martial arts and compete in some tournaments, learn to play guitar, etc.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:07 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Originally posted by BDM
If you're "meant to be together" you'll still be "meant to be together" 2 years from now. Travel to some foreign countries, buy a Z and autocross, take acting classes and join a local theater group, take martial arts and compete in some tournaments, learn to play guitar, etc.
Dude you just described almost everything I love doing! I'm 25 and I couldn't agree with BDM more. I plan to marry, but not for another 4-5 years at least.

Although I do film production instead of theater and boxing instead of martial arts -- and yep, I play bass!
Old 04-21-2003, 01:28 AM
xtreme350z

Originally posted by BDM
You need to recharge and reward yourself - life isn't meant to be something off in the distance you're working toward all the time.
Listen to this guy, he speaks the truth. I'm 23 myself and I personally need to remember that sometimes...
Old 04-21-2003, 03:30 AM
j's350z

I just turned 26 and marriage plans are in the back seat..oh wait, we don't have a back seat. Their goes those plans.. Enjoy life, you're still young......
Old 04-21-2003, 04:00 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Buying too much car...

Buying "too much car" is a common mistake like "using your credit card too much". I have seen several people stretch for a dream can only to regret it later.

My adivce (well, you did ask) is not to do it. A first car after school should probably be a little more sensible and reasonably priced. Take the time to dig out of your debt before siging up for more debt. Credit card interest is HIGH and non-deductable so those card balances are killing you.

Right after school is when people move several times, get married, explore the world. That is a good time to keep your money and to drive something that will haul stuff.

The 350Z is a GREAT second car, but a fairly poor "only car".

Just my $.02
Old 04-21-2003, 04:31 AM
christoc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am still single cause I like my toys too much.... 26, and loving the single life.

Toys 350z - 95 GSXR - Women.......
Old 04-21-2003, 04:47 AM
jj1814

I'm 22...just graduated from college in Dec. Right now I'm working for Procter & Gamble (soon to be Hewlett Packard) making $55,000 /year with a raise coming in Nov. I think you would have been alright if you werent trying to get married and if you had taken out a student loan instead of putting it on a credit card (sorry to hear about your folks). I, too, have 10K to pay back in loans for my last 2 years. @ my first school, i had a full scholarship so everything was paid for - but then I transferred, and transfers get NO monetary love! So our situations are similar. There is NO way I'm getting married though because then I have to share my money!! Unless it's a kid, I will NOT be sharing! LoL

And I have no credit cards. How many of you are suprised to see a "girl" with no CC's? LOL

This is not my FIRST car (2000 Nissan Frontier - paid in full@ time of purchase), but this is the first car that I'm financing totally on my own. I will be giving the truck to my parents once I get the Z, so it will be my only car. And when (and if) I decide to move...no biggie. That's what U-HAULs are for!

Last edited by jj1814; 04-21-2003 at 04:56 AM.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:55 AM
MA4

Default i don't get it

10k in loans? thats it? i have 20k on credit cards(5.9% avg interest rate) half of a 130k mortgage, 65k in student loans and i only make 55k a year....my z is parked in a 150$ a month parking garage and i pay 2300$ a year insurance...and i still ahve beer money and food money and money to do anything i damn please....and always pay my bils on time....what are you guys buying that you can't afford a 30k car?

55k a year is like 3500$ a month....either you guys are lieing about what you make or you have a coke addiction..i say stop being a wuss and buy the friggin car. pretend you are buying a 22k car with 8k worth of mods to make it look and drive nice.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:05 AM
WayneTN

Default get out of debt

My advice is, if you are really serious about getting out of debt so that you can have a sports car later on and have the freedom to do lots of those fun things later on, is to do this: take the Dave Ramsey "Financial Peace", 12-13 lesson seminar and do what it says. Check it out at daveramsey.com.

Better things are in your future. If you're making a lot of payments to other people right now, you won't be sorry you took this seminar. Ask someone who has.

(No, I have no affiliation with Dave Ramsey or this seminar and get no $ for referrals.)

WayneTN
Old 04-21-2003, 08:13 AM
shemp

Nodeel:

You're only 22! That's plenty of time to pay off any amount of debt. I say buy the Z because if you're planning on getting married too then in a few years you might end up shopping for a mini-van instead. Live it up now while you're young!
Old 04-21-2003, 08:48 AM
stevew

I just celebrated my 30th wedding anniversary. A wonderful woman to share your life with is worth much more than any car. There will be fun cars available next year, the year after, etc. However, a woman worth your making a commitment to doesn't come along very often. Just my 2 cents....
Old 04-21-2003, 09:03 AM
del105
15 f125

I dont understand what your doing with your money. I'd say you probably take home $3200 a month? even with 10k in loans you should be alright with a $5xx car payment. What kind of ring are you saving for? There is no reason to throw away more then 3000 on a engagement ring, it will not make her love you more. I'd say you are wasting money on something you need to figure out what that something is and stop. I deal with people everyday that have no idea how to manage their money. Quit eating out so much, and buy some beer from the grocery store and get drunk before you get to the bar.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:25 AM
z-extreme

I have the Z on order - I figure when the time comes for me to tie the knott I will. Right now livin it up. Hell only knows when I start havin kids the Z may disappear. So get it while you can.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:34 AM
jj1814

Default Re: i don't get it

Originally posted by explortainment

55k a year is like 3500$ a month....either you guys are lieing about what you make or you have a coke addiction..i say stop being a wuss and buy the friggin car. pretend you are buying a 22k car with 8k worth of mods to make it look and drive nice.

I am not worried about paying for the car - nodeel is. And $55,000 a year = $3,000/mo. when you live in Ohio and are renting an apt. Insurance is only $740+/6 mo. Anyway...my car is due to arrive next week.

My theory: create all my bills now (which are not a lot ~ rent, electricity, cable, car note, insurance) so that when I get my raises, that will be money I can really have to play with.

I dont want to be a tight wad now, save all my money and then create a car note later. That will just make me miss the extra $500 I WAS putting in the bank. I dont like to adjust to lesser money. I like to just get it all out of the way now.

Last edited by jj1814; 04-21-2003 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:43 AM
fanatic6711

I don't understand how you guys that just graduated make so much money.

I just graduated last May from a top school, work for a Top company (Turner Broadcasting) and minimum as an analyst!

Everyone else here went to an Ivy league school and doesn't make crap either!

I don't get it.

But I don't have debt, so the Z comes in July!

Quick Reply: Sad Realization