Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

So I'm interested in the 350Z..

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 10:36 PM
JZA80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I'm interested in the 350Z..

...and I've got a few questions. I know there are forums for everything I'm about to ask, but it's easier to keep track of one post instead of asking a specific question in each forum. So anyway, here are my questions;

- Have any of you 350Z owners previously owned an MKIV Supra? If so, how would you compare the two? I realize the Z would be a little slower in the 1/4 mile; I'm more interested in handling, ride comfort, etc. Asking because this was my previous car and am looking to see if it's gonna be better or worse, if possible. Hope to go test one out at a dealer tomorrow afternoon.

- I'll be getting the 5AT transmission. Have any of you guys had problems with yours so far? Leaking trans fluid, slippage, etc? Also, how are the shifts? Pretty crisp, or more on the sluggish side?

- For those of you with the NAVI system, is it really worth it? I searched through the forums already and it doesn't seem like there are many problems with thesystem at all, so that's good. Just wondering if it's worth getting.

- Are dealers willing to install items available on the track model, but not on the touring model (i.e. diffusers)? I know most of you will ask, why not just get the 6MT and go with a Track model? I'm unable to drive a stick due to a disability, so that's not an option. Anyone even attempted this, and also would it even be worth the addition?

- For those of you who've modified your Z, what kind of gains are you seeing from modifications such as i/h/e? Also, any of you who have gnoe the forced induction route, how is it?

I think that's about it for now.. will edit this post if I think of anything else. Sorry if some of this has been asked before, just trying to gather as much info as I can before taking the plunge.

Thanks, guys.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:56 PM
woogemooge

a close friend of mine has the mkiv supra...i've test driven a Z (haven't bought one yet) and to be honest, the supra in a twin-turbo layout is a lot faster.... the feel maybe exaggerated too, due to the turbos. if you're comparing the Z to an NA supra, then i have no clue...

anyway, i liked the Z a lot when i test drove it, and i should be getting one soon--as soon as i friggin find a buyer for my A4

(btw, 5AT?!)
Old 04-20-2003, 11:14 PM
JZA80

Originally posted by woogemooge
a close friend of mine has the mkiv supra...i've test driven a Z (haven't bought one yet) and to be honest, the supra in a twin-turbo layout is a lot faster.... the feel maybe exaggerated too, due to the turbos. if you're comparing the Z to an NA supra, then i have no clue...

anyway, i liked the Z a lot when i test drove it, and i should be getting one soon--as soon as i friggin find a buyer for my A4

(btw, 5AT?!)
5AT = 5-speed automatic.

And I'm attempting to compare the feel to that of a TT Supra, forgot to specify. :/
Old 04-21-2003, 03:47 AM
I want a 350Z

Originally posted by JZA80
5AT = 5-speed automatic.

And I'm attempting to compare the feel to that of a TT Supra, forgot to specify. :/
Lol, i think he knew that, he just wanted to know why you would want the automatic transmission.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:59 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Originally posted by I want a 350Z
Lol, i think he knew that, he just wanted to know why you would want the automatic transmission.
He stated why in the first post.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:18 PM
woogemooge

Default oh sorry

didn't see the reason for getting the 5AT in the original post...sorry about that...

(haha yeah i knew that 5AT = 5sp auto)

i once saw my friend's dyno chart for his supra tt and it's pretty cool...there's a HUGE spike in torque when the turbos kick in...it was just HUGE...it looks like you're looking at a cliff or something haha
Old 04-21-2003, 04:09 PM
JZA80

Ok, so I answered most of my own questions this afternoon. Made it to a dealer and test drove a silver Touring model. IMHO, the ride was much more comfortable than that of the Supra. Felt a little bit slower, but low-end was nice in comparison since I didn't have to wait for a turbo to spool up or anything. Handled well, body roll was very minimal, and the only thing I wasn't too pleased with was the blind spot I had when looking over my left shoulder. Rear and side views gave me a really good idea of what was going on. Shifts seemed pretty smooth, even for a car with only 21 miles on it.

Found out that dealers aren't willing to install options from the other models.. pretty much its a WYSIWYG kind of deal, but that's cool. There's always the aftermarket when I'm ready for it.

Basically, I was very satisfied with it and plan to go in and get the one I looked at tomorrow morning if everything works out well.

Even still, if you have any additional input that you think I may find useful, please throw it in here. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2003, 04:18 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

The side blind spots bothered me for about a week, but now I don't even notice them. I've always looked over my shoulders anyway before changing lanes (as you should), an all it takes is a quick glance to the side and properly adjusted mirrors.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:46 PM
JZA80

Originally posted by MannishBoy
The side blind spots bothered me for about a week, but now I don't even notice them. I've always looked over my shoulders anyway before changing lanes (as you should), an all it takes is a quick glance to the side and properly adjusted mirrors.
Glad to hear that you adjusted easily to it.. hopefully I'll be able to do the same. After all, I was only able to drive the car for a minimal time today, so I'm sure having one for daily use would allow me to adjust better.

Other than that, I couldn't find anything to really complain about with it. Can't wait to head back to the dealer tomorrow!
Old 04-22-2003, 09:21 AM
meatwad79

when i traded my gti in for one this past thursday, i was scared s**tless, and guilt ridden. but after driving it a little while, that guilt begins to fade.
only thing is, i wish the accelerator pedal was a little less tight
Old 04-22-2003, 04:09 PM
grayfox

Sounds like you've already made your decision, but I'll comment anyway on the Nav.

Love it. Really love it. I originally wanted the enth. automatic in le mans sunset, but when the dealer couldn't find one but had the touring manual on the lot, I bought it instead. I really didn't care one way or the other about the nav, but have used it many times.

The UI is a little klunky, but you get used to it. However, the directions ("Freeway entrance on your left..." you know when you're coming up to an on ramp that's on an overpass and you don't know if the way you wanna go is to the left or right and you sometimes miss it? this thing tells which side it's on...totally cool), the voice and how they lower the volume of your music for the announcement is great.

Cool and annoying at the same time that you can't set directions while the car is in motion (except one of your preset options, like "home"); you can also hear the DVD spinning up if you have no music on - just kinda weird. I don't really hear it anymore.

And it's entertaining, especially when you're driving on a freeway that's so new, it's not in the geographic database (hi, the east extension of the 210!) - it'll constantly redirect you. I keep expecting it to say "Would you please get back on a freeway I know!"
Old 04-23-2003, 11:06 AM
JZA80

Well, I picked up the new car, and must say I absolutely love it. Handles great, feels responsive (from what I can tell.. will look into that more after the break-in is complete), etc.

I picked up the Touring edition with everything short of the NAVI system (I sort of wanted it, but it wasn't really important to me.. just another nifty little feature to have). Either way, I'm pleased with the purchase. Can't wait to take it out and have some real fun with it.

Pics, for those interested: Here
Old 04-23-2003, 01:33 PM
Sixspeed_JA

I was wondering if you traded in your Supra for the 350Z??

-jA

Supra
94 BLK 6Speed
BPU+
Old 04-23-2003, 01:35 PM
JZA80

Originally posted by Sixspeed_JA
I was wondering if you traded in your Supra for the 350Z??

-jA

Supra
94 BLK 6Speed
BPU+
That's a negative. My Supra was a fire victim.. got totalled out by insurance, which led to this purchase.