Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is why it costs to insure a 350z (Published study)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 04:56 AM
HardTech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is why it costs to insure a 350z (Published study)

Ok, I hope this is in the right forum. If its old news or unwanted ill delete it.

I work for an insurance company, but do the data side (and only a contractor to top it off). So I cant offer tips or even tell you what they do and why they do it. But every so often I get published material on my desk about crash related stats. Well I got one, its publish date is April 19 2007.

Turns out that basically the study on all cars found that the 350z is a death trap. It has the highest death rates for a car, and even others on the same list will surprise you as well. I just though you should know about this.

This report just came out, so I don’t know if this will effect future rates or not. The list is as an attachment. I would have uploaded it else where but my work has it locked tight.

When I get home (10 hours from now) ill upload the whole pdf.
Attached Thumbnails This is why it costs to insure a 350z (Published study)-pic1.jpg  
Old 05-02-2007, 05:04 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The RSX still beats the 350Z !!! Lol
Old 05-02-2007, 05:09 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Question

Interesting data. Just out of curiosity what do you drive?
Old 05-02-2007, 05:10 AM
HardTech

Sure does.

Just so no one calls BS on this, ill provide the name of the published report, maybe someone can find the PDF

Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
Status Report
"Driver Deaths"
Vol. 42, No. 4, April 19, 2007

Well if someone finds it, provide the link. Else ill upload it to my server when I get home.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:12 AM
davidv

Originally Posted by Kolia
There must be a error in the data. The RSX does not go fast enough to kill anyone.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:13 AM
HardTech

Originally Posted by davidv
Interesting data. Just out of curiosity what do you drive?
I want a 350z, so don’t think I’m knocking it Although this report is kinda a mind switcher. But till think the looks of the Z are damn nice

What do I drive, oh something that’s killed more than its fair share of people. Which lead to a lawsuit and the changing of car and tire history.

The Ford Explorer (1995 XLT)

*Edit*

If anyone wants figures for a car let me know and ill pull them up Just give me time because it will be on my work breaks.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:13 AM
furiousZ

Old 05-02-2007, 05:17 AM
ZSpectrum

Isnt this old?
Old 05-02-2007, 05:21 AM
coreapoc

Originally Posted by HardTech

If anyone wants figures for a car let me know and ill pull them up Just give me time because it will be on my work breaks.

Id like a report on a 97 supra tt.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:29 AM
HardTech

Originally Posted by ZSpectrum
Isnt this old?
Maybe it is, but the report is new. I didnt find it under search. If it is indeed put up already then give me a link and ill ask the mods to delete this thread. But I hoped it was new, yes also hoped it was old news so it has no shock value :/

Originally Posted by coreapoc
Id like a report on a 97 supra tt.
2001-04 models during calendar years 2002-05

Sorry I didnt post that
Old 05-02-2007, 05:34 AM
davidv

I want a 350z, so don’t think I’m knocking it Although this report is kinda a mind switcher. But till think the looks of the Z are damn nice

What do I drive, oh something that’s killed more than its fair share of people. Which lead to a lawsuit and the changing of car and tire history.

The Ford Explorer (1995 XLT)

*Edit*

I suppose that safety is paramount to some buyers. It’s an interesting buying criteria, but not most important to me.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:34 AM
shezzzhot
Abzolutely Zexy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting......
Old 05-02-2007, 05:44 AM
HardTech

Originally Posted by davidv
I suppose that safety is paramount to some buyers. It’s an interesting buying criteria, but not most important to me.
I guess it is, but it helps not to drive like an idiot. I’ve dome some dumb moves in my explorer but nothing close to flipping it. In many instances of trying to find its limits, I found the front gives way before flipping. As in it just starts sliding strait before it will flip.

Now granted I have witness one flip at under 10 mph before so I know it can happen. My question is how people are able to do it.

As for the deaths in the 350z. I think half the accidents here will prove something different from the report. Granted cold hard facts rarely lie, but the 350z from all the hits and bumps(and torn in half) pic’s we have seen around here are a good demonstration to its build.

I would have been nice to know how they looked at these cases, what deaths they included and what deaths they didn’t. Out of that report how many are related to street racing? Good facts and figures to put in, but they where only worried about 2 numbers I guess. The number of vehicles and the number of people that died in those vehicles.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:55 AM
05-Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting data.....my policy went up slightly recently.

Although, I have seen many accident pics on this board (severe) with minimal injuries.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:55 AM
Willie

The Z is safe, it's the drivers that are not. The whole list is made up of cars that are primarily driven by youngsters. So this is not an accurate depiction of overall safety.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:07 AM
HardTech

Originally Posted by Willie
The Z is safe, it's the drivers that are not. The whole list is made up of cars that are primarily driven by youngsters. So this is not an accurate depiction of overall safety.

Wouldn’t say all of them. But all these cars are far far from the cars that have the lowest records. I think it has to do with several things. Sure for the 350z it may be the driver. For the others such as the kia rio its going to be the build quality I bet. I don’t see 9 of them doing anything crazy to begin with. They are to under powered to do much of anything.

At least we have something to show the 17 year olds that wants a 350z that its not the best idea.

I wish in the report they included avg age. This may have helped a bit.

5 Safest Vehicles in order are

1. Chevy Astro (WTF?!)
2. Infiniti G35 (Didn’t see this coming)
3. BMW 7 series
4. Toyota 4Runner (SUV's can be safe too)
5. Audi A4/S4 Quattro

Anyone else surprised that except for 2 vehicles they are under 35k?
Old 05-02-2007, 06:10 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, and the only thing that beats an RSX is Chuck Norris!! Lol!
Attached Thumbnails This is why it costs to insure a 350z (Published study)-untitled2.jpg   This is why it costs to insure a 350z (Published study)-tricycle_l-1-.gif  

Last edited by gothchick; 05-02-2007 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:16 AM
Shift_Z33

^I thought we all agreed to not use that picture^
Old 05-02-2007, 06:16 AM
Willie

Wouldn’t say all of them. But all these cars are far far from the cars that have the lowest records. I think it has to do with several things. Sure for the 350z it may be the driver. For the others such as the kia rio its going to be the build quality I bet. I don’t see 9 of them doing anything crazy to begin with. They are to under powered to do much of anything.

At least we have something to show the 17 year olds that wants a 350z that its not the best idea.

I wish in the report they included avg age. This may have helped a bit.

5 Safest Vehicles in order are

1. Chevy Astro (WTF?!)
2. Infiniti G35 (Didn’t see this coming)
3. BMW 7 series
4. Toyota 4Runner (SUV's can be safe too)
5. Audi A4/S4 Quattro

Anyone else surprised that except for 2 vehicles they are under 35k?
The astro is the safest becaue it is driven by either older women, who don't crash much or drive much for that matter. Or the astro is driven by illegals who do not have insurance and terefore have no claims. The other cars on that list are diven by either older drivers or female divers. So you can really say that they are crash worthly, they are just less likely to be involved in a crash or less likely to have crashes reported.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:24 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sure does.

Just so no one calls BS on this, ill provide the name of the published report, maybe someone can find the PDF

Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
Status Report
"Driver Deaths"
Vol. 42, No. 4, April 19, 2007
The Insurance companys have been playing with numbers for a 100 years, They have become so powerful that fighting them is like fighting Congress, cuz if fact, they, like others, own Congress.
They are experts at blowing things out of proportion and juggling numbers to justify their greed
Rant all you will, and you will rant because they have convinced you to. But the DUI bandwagon is their greatest accomplishment. I have no pity for a drunk, but they have milked it to death and legally profited BILLIONS because they know damn well no one can fight them on it without dealing with the wraith that would be forthcomeing

All the "Big Boys" today started the same way basically in the 1920s. They sold "Death Insurance" ----They have juggled that through the years to "Life Insurance" ( sounds Better ! ) But the deal was this--- They would send their "agents" out, mainly in the South and knock on doors of poor whites and blacks ( Baptists as a rule ) and for a dime a week or whatever, quarantee a "Fancy Proper Burial" If they were late, there were threats and come the time of death all they got was a cheap pine box. ( Hell, Who was going to fight them ?? )

They have changed little

Quick Reply: This is why it costs to insure a 350z (Published study)