Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is why it costs to insure a 350z (Published study)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 06:24 AM
dothemath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let us all remember that the platform for the 350Z, the G35, even the FX's are the same. So lets see...the G35 is near the bottom and the 350z near the top...both created with the FM platform.

IT IS THE DRIVER STUPID.

This stupid comment is not for anyone posting in this thread. This is just another example that statistics mean nothing without background information like driver age and behavior as someone else mentioned.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:26 AM
Kegsbane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HardTech
But all these cars are far far from the cars that have the lowest records.
Except the G35, which is in the top 3 for least deaths. Driver maturity an issue? Maaaaybe.

This is how bad info gets passed around, folks. Do your homework.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:01 AM
HardTech

Heh, didn’t do the report, so don’t shoot the messenger. Doesn’t matter in the eyes of your ins. if they are all built on the same platform or not. They look at these types of reports, I just thought you should know. If there fudging it as one person said they are, well cant stop them. But this report may scare off a few people and make the Z more rare

I’ve seen from this forum what they can and cant do, but your ins. wont look here

I pay more just because I have the "rollover prone" explorer when they found out tires had a huge play in it. And its roll over rates "may have" not been as bad if the tires where right to begin with. The explorer got bad press, so at the same time the Chevy suburban got to slide under the radar. Go back in the report and you can see they had horrid roll over rates. It just got over looked because of bad press. But I still get to pay for it

I’m surprised the EVO and WRX isn’t on the top list somewhere. It always seems a bad crash with one of them = death :/
Old 05-02-2007, 07:02 AM
Anomaly

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ZSpectrum
Isnt this old?

Yes. It's (sort of) a repost.
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....t=deaths+miles
Old 05-02-2007, 07:06 AM
Richy350Z

RSX is #2 ...
Old 05-02-2007, 07:06 AM
coreapoc

2001-04 models during calendar years 2002-05

Sorry I didnt post that
Bah. Im already aware
Old 05-02-2007, 07:07 AM
theseb

any info on the Lotus Elise? I'd like to know how much of a death trap that is.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:08 AM
HardTech

Originally Posted by Anomaly
So it is, but I plan to add where the numbers came from.

http://www.iihs.org/sr/pdfs/sr4204.pdf

If mods want to shut it down or lock it up feel free to.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:11 AM
Anomaly

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

So it is, but I plan to add where the numbers came from.

http://www.iihs.org/sr/pdfs/sr4204.pdf

If mods want to shut it down or lock it up feel free to.

Sorry, dude. Wasn't trying to knock you down or anything. Just don't have time to add anything extra - trying to leave for work (late!!).
Old 05-02-2007, 07:11 AM
HardTech

Originally Posted by theseb
any info on the Lotus Elise? I'd like to know how much of a death trap that is.

Lotus is not on the list. It seems to pertain to "normal" cars. My ins company when I asked for the rates on it, said they dont insure "track" cars. I also dont see any of the highest sport car companies on the list. I guess if you car cost more than 100k you know what your getting.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:19 AM
ArrumnDark

These lists are worthless. It would be better if they had the actual number of crashes, not the average per million.. right?

If only two people on earth owned Z's, then one of them crashed and died... would that not bump the number up to 500,000 deaths per million vehicles?

Edit:
Also, for the Z, the majority of the crashes are single vehicle and rolls.
Those simply don't happen (in high numbers, as this suggests) without the driver being careless.

Sometimes it may be bad weather or a deer or something that would be further from the driver's control, so there will always be some, in any car. Responsible driving is key to not dying!

Unless you get creamed by a Ford...

Edit again... I guess it's Kia who's winning the multi-car death race

Last edited by ArrumnDark; 05-02-2007 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:25 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The list IS interesting but as I said, with a grain of salt, the numbers are juggled and it takes an enlightened public to call them on it
Old 05-02-2007, 07:29 AM
Kegsbane

Originally Posted by ArrumnDark
These lists are worthless. It would be better if they had the actual number of crashes, not the average per million.. right?

If only two people on earth owned Z's, then one of them crashed and died... would that not bump the number up to 500,000 deaths per million vehicles?
You're right in a sense. You have to have a certain number of participants for a survey to be considered statistically meaningful. For example, a survey of two people is not statistically meaningful.

I'm not sure what the actual number is that is widely accepted. Look up analysis of variance if it really bugs you.

I'm pretty sure in this case you have enough numbers to accurately tell you something. I just don't think that what it says is that the top cars on this list are the most dangerous (which, unfortunately, people are sure to imply).

I would guess that this list is of the most dangerous cars which also happen to be the least expensive, as other people have already theorized. Also, if you took Nitto 555s off the market, I bet that number would be a little bit lower. When you think about all the people who aren't on these forums, who still own Zs...
Old 05-02-2007, 08:01 AM
ArrumnDark

Oh, it won't sway my decision, and I'm sure I won't sway an insurance company's.. so, no biggie.

UNLESS, if you bumped something at 5mph and the car immediately burst into flames. Then I might just reconsider.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:18 AM
Vorais

I didn't even see the Audi TT on the list and that is a fairly common car.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:19 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, this is a repost. And as I pointed out in the previous thread, I believe the story is bogus.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....1&postcount=47

To make the long story short, Liberty Mutual Insurance published a report with data from the same source, and their interpretation of the data yielded the conclusion that the Z ranked about average in the "injury" category when compared against others cars in its category. I would trust Liberty Mutual's intrepretation of the data long before I'd believe USA Today's version.

Remember - newspapers make their money by sensationalizing the mundane news.

BTW - If anybody is interested in the Liberty Mutual magazine, you can see it here...
http://www.libertymutual.com/omapps/...ile&blobkey=id

Last edited by DavesZ#3; 05-02-2007 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:26 AM
Eazzy

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3

Remember - newspapers make their money by sensationalizing the mundane news.
Remember - Insurance companys make their money by sensationalizing the mundane news
Old 05-02-2007, 08:34 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Eazzzzzzy
Remember - Insurance companys make their money by sensationalizing the mundane news
Yeah, but you'd figure an insurance company would paint the worse possible picture about a car. Afterall, that would allow them to justify raising the rates higher. Insurance companies make their money on mundane numbers.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:48 AM
trains1937

Received 117 Likes on 14 Posts

Statistics of this type are meaningless unless you have data on the age distrubution of the drivers and conditions under which death occured. If most of those who died were middle aged and died when rearended at traffic lights I would worry. If a large percentage of those who died were young males(late teens or early twenties) involved in high speed accidents I would assume the statistics were skewed by virtue of the fact that this car may be bought by many young, impulsive, speed oriented men who don't know how to control a car traveling at high velocity. As has been said before, it ain't the car, its the nut behind the wheel.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:49 AM
Eazzy

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Yeah, but you'd figure an insurance company would paint the worse possible picture about a car. Afterall, that would allow them to justify raising the rates higher. Insurance companies make their money on mundane numbers.
And thats true, the point I was making was how important it is to keep an open mind and relize numbers in all instances can be manipulated to the advantage of the author

Quick Reply: This is why it costs to insure a 350z (Published study)