Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

How is the Z on roadtrips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 11:29 PM
steppinrazor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i made an 8 hour trip in mine and loved it... basicly three days after i had gotten mine<it was used> me and my g/f loved it, was def not as boring as takin a regular 4 door
Old 05-18-2007, 05:37 AM
thepostman

Default great road trip car

imo-the z (i have the touring) is great for road trips. last month I drove from Portland to Sac in 9 hours which is good time considering i went thru icy conditions in the mountains at 3 am. Also, the 6 disc Bose CD is great for audio books which saved me (yes, I know the Bose system sucks...ive had mine replaced once already)!
Old 05-18-2007, 05:47 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

The longest trip I took mine on was from near Philadelphia to Pittsburgh (about 5 hours each way). It was mostly cruising on the PA turnpike and to my surprise the ride was very comfortable. It would have been a bit more comfortable if I had stopped for a stretch somewhere half way so by the time we got to Pittsburgh my lower back was just a bit sore. (Keep in mind that my lower back typically gets sore after driving a long distance in any car). As long as you can keep your luggage to a minimum (At least low enough to avoid blocking your rear view) I think you'll enjoy the Z on a long trip.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:31 AM
Blue Highways

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A few more tips

A lot of the above suggestions were worthy advice for outfitting the Z for a road trip.If you plan it out,as mentioned,the hatch can hold an unbelievable amount of things.So can the bins behind the seat.I keep maps and atlases in the webbing behind the passenger seat,where I can reach them while on the run.I stuff unread newspapers under the seat;I've found a lot of ways to stash things in the Z.

Just one essential caveat--if you get a flat and attempt to carry the wheel and flat tire in the hatch--forget it.Almost all your carefully packed stuff is going to be somewhere besides inside the car.The road wheel/tire does NOT fit into the hole where the spare came out of.You can't fit it under the strut tower.You have to have the hatch opened,so be sure to carry a few bungee cords.
Just REMOVING the little spare involves emptying out the hatch.And it's probably going to be raining...
But the cubby where the wheel sits does make a good spot to store small things,like tools or small bottles of fluids.Just remember to wrap them in a towel,or something,to keep them from rattling and driving you nuts.

Storage in the driving compartment is laughably inadequate.First,there is no glovebox,just a couple of little mail slots to stash precious papers.
The center console is useless,especially if you carry CDs.Put a few of them in there,nothing else can go in.
And the Mystery Hole...what about THAT ???

We all need to carry coins,for things like impulsive newspaper buys or unexpected tolls,and stashing coin in the Z's woefully inadequate stash spots is always a task.You can't put coins in the little slot used as a door pull,because the money rattles if you use the radio.I keep my cellphone in the phony ashtray,so there is no place for coins there.And if you put money into the Mystery Hole,it just spills out when you open the little door.Whadaya gonna do ???
Well,I can carry $7.00 worth of quarters in an old .35MM film cannister.It fits into a slot on a handy carryall that is strapped to the passenger sun visor.The visor can hold all sorts of things--pens,maps,hair brush,parking tickets,toll cards,a pack of Jobs,seven bucks...

I see my car as an almost personalized backpack,and the most essential thing that I take on long trips.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:08 PM
I1DER

Blue Highways, What Mystery Hole are you referring to??
Old 05-19-2007, 07:52 AM
Blackhawk007
Import Owner

I just took a road trip in my 07 From Texas to Chicago 1145 miles. I am new to the Z world and have to say I was very happy with the car. I am 6'4" and 195 lbs. I fit very well and had no problems at all. In fact I learned so much about the car on the trip and grew to love it even more. I got about 28 miles to a gallon on the first tank. I then had fun for the last 500 miles there and back. I have had the car since Feb 15th and now have 8500 miles on it. I know thats a lot but I have no plans to get rid of it......ever.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:53 AM
JCZ33

I drove from San Antonio, TX to Atlanta GA. I enjoyed every moment!

The Z is a great GT car.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:57 AM
Blackhawk007
Import Owner

Just a comment about the coins and cell phone. The 07 has a coin slot in one of the 4 center cup holders. I place my cell phone either on the closed cup holder cover or the cup holders on the door, since nothing else will fit in there. I know the older models lacked cup holders, but come on 6 in a 2 seater.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:58 PM
e_grant

I drove my Z (touring) from Cleveland (OH) to San Diego (CA) by myself in about 3 days, a total of about 2500 miles. I averaged a best of 32 mpg (when I wasn't playing in traffic). Man I was sore for a few days after that! 90% of the time my gas tank held out longer than my bladder did (except in Texas when you stop whenever you get the chance because you don't know when the next one is).
Old 05-19-2007, 05:15 PM
Mps350z

Im from Columbus Ohio, and Im in the Army stationed in Louisiana... I drive home regularly... its about a 1100 mile trip one way, I love the car on road trips it handles great gets decent gas mileage... I end up filling up about 3 times total and I have to fill up one last time once I get to Columbus. That was stock though, once you start adding mods all that goes out the window. but like I said IMO the car is great on road trips.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:13 AM
joselito76

is great ,i love it but it is not the 2003 wrx seats i love those even more and better quality.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:02 PM
Akabir47

Drove from D.C. to atlanta in 8 hours, back and legs were killing me! and i should of put my silencer in, my ears were hurting too.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:15 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, the 20 hour drive from here to Zdayz will give me a good opinion to pass onto you.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:03 PM
j0hns0nc

13hours from atlanta,ga to new york city. averaging 90mph made 3 quick stops for gas,food, and water. wasnt as bad as i thought it would be and im 6 feet tall. i got about 400miles per tank. maybe high 3s. oh btw that trip was about 1000miles
Old 02-24-2008, 08:49 PM
ZMotegi53

its get slightly uncomfortable, not bad for short 3-5 hour trips but damn, 12 hours or so and my leg and back would hurt. Anyone else have a problem with the way you have to position your right arm over the arm dash or so, annoying as hell. Not any better or worse than any other cars in the sports car category.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:17 AM
David M

My long distance travel is usually by motorcycle but now I'm also looking to put some distance on my Z. If you have the travel time available, try Googling for some motorcycle roads. Most roads that bikers would enjoy, Z drivers would likely also enjoy. Here's a start:
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/

You have some great ground to cover. Think about the East to West passes in North-Central Wyoming. Beartooth Pass is spectacular (Red Lodge, Montana south into Wyoming). And then the Chief Joseph Parkway back towards Cody. Western Colorado southbound from about Rangely to Durango is a thrill. I've experienced these on the bike and am going to try them in the Z this year.

You might have a little fun in Colorado by "riding the divide" or I guess that would be "driving the divide". Here are some pic's from my ride a couple years ago.
http://www.ldrider.ca/ridethedivide/index.htm
Old 02-25-2008, 07:31 AM
Xzero

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove from Vancouver Island,BC to Calgary,AB in 11 hours in 1 day and it was the best ride of my life!

I was doing around 200km/h for the most part (a LITTLE slower in the mountain areas as they were crazy!!!) & my buddy was sleeping in passenger,lol! Talk about comfortable! No aches, no pains, just 11 hours of pure driving heaven!

10/10 on long trips,IMO.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:34 AM
terrorist22

I didn't enjoy it. I went from SD to Vegas so it's about 4-6 hours. It's livable but the noise might get to you after a while
Old 02-25-2008, 07:41 AM
Donsred350Z

I think that a great trip as mentioned stops along the way to screcht your legs and back you should fine. I'm planning a 6-8 hour trip in my Z to Galveston or San Antonio when it gets warmer. I usually travel without a rush to get there time, so I have no problem at rest stops.

Hey, take pictures along the way that should be quite a scenic route, the USA is beautiful especially from the window of a 350Z or Z-car.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:01 AM
David M

Originally Posted by Xzero
I drove from Vancouver Island,BC to Calgary,AB in 11 hours in 1 day and it was the best ride of my life!

I was doing around 200km/h for the most part (a LITTLE slower in the mountain areas as they were crazy!!!) & my buddy was sleeping in passenger,lol! Talk about comfortable! No aches, no pains, just 11 hours of pure driving heaven!

10/10 on long trips,IMO.
"...200 km/h for the most part...", I don't think so.

I ride and drive that route regularly and maintaining 200km/h just isn't in the cards. And you go just a LITTLE slower in the mountains ? I don't believe it for a minute.

Quick Reply: How is the Z on roadtrips?