Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

flooded my Z yesterday =(

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 10:52 AM
tightwhip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flooded my Z yesterday =(

So, yesterday we had 2" of rain in 20 minutes... So, I took a back road because the street lights were out because of the rain. BAD IDEA!

I'm following this SUV down the road and one of the 'wakes' from their car went over the hood of my Z, turned my car into the other lane and it stalled out. I sat there panicing for a few minutes watching the water rise until it completley covered my floor board, then I bailed out... water continued to rise and I estimate there was about 6" of water inside the car before the water started to go down.

Have any of you ever flooded your car? What did the insurance do... total it? It's an 06 with 7k miles...
Old 05-15-2007, 10:56 AM
06blueZ

Thats not good. Does it run now? maybe you hydrolocket the motor...

Since the water was over your rear diff, you need to drain that and replace the gear oil, its vented. As long as there was not much more than 6 inches of water in the car it will most likely just be a good cleaning of the carpets since the ecu and other controls are mostly higher up in the car, depending on how high the water got it could cause alot of electrical problems...
Old 05-15-2007, 11:02 AM
tightwhip

I didn't try to crank it after it stalled out. I had it towed to a storage lot and an insurance adjuster is coming to look at it tomorrow to appraise it. I've been told that most of the time they total flooded vehicles and if they don't total it your factory warranty gets voided... if this is the case I hope it's totaled.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:12 AM
savvy

you can add that to the pwned thread that got started ealier. Sorry to hear that man.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:14 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

6" inside would cause minimum harm to elec. Fluids need to be changed, just cuz. By rights , carpet and seats should be pulled fo complete dry out and all connectors dryed and Dielec greased. No big deal if you dont want it to be. I had a vehicle under 4 feet once after a lot of work was perfect and to this day driving.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:15 AM
HardTech

Is there something you’re leaving out? How high was the water you where going through, and any intake mods? I have a hard time believing just the wash over from a truck would out right kill your car. I had a 10 wheeler go though a 1-2 foot thing of water next to my contour (when I had it) and I had water coming in though all the seals but the intake even near the front was dry.

Sorry for your loss but you should not go through water that’s would be almost a foot+ deep for a car. Glad your safe, and all but hope your learned something and not destroy another Z
Old 05-15-2007, 11:41 AM
tightwhip

Originally Posted by HardTech
Is there something you’re leaving out? How high was the water you where going through, and any intake mods? I have a hard time believing just the wash over from a truck would out right kill your car. I had a 10 wheeler go though a 1-2 foot thing of water next to my contour (when I had it) and I had water coming in though all the seals but the intake even near the front was dry.

Sorry for your loss but you should not go through water that’s would be almost a foot+ deep for a car. Glad your safe, and all but hope your learned something and not destroy another Z
The water was probably 3 feet deep when I got out of the car... when I opened the door water just rushed inside. It was probably 2 feet deep when it stalled out though... the water just kept rising because of this great drainage system we have here in Houston...
Old 05-15-2007, 11:56 AM
Azrael Z06

Originally Posted by Eazzzzzzy
6" inside would cause minimum harm to elec. Fluids need to be changed, just cuz. By rights , carpet and seats should be pulled fo complete dry out and all connectors dryed and Dielec greased. No big deal if you dont want it to be. I had a vehicle under 4 feet once after a lot of work was perfect and to this day driving.
Also if you stalled the engine (hydrolocked it) then you need to remove the plugs and hand crank or starter bump the engine to get any fluid out of the combustion chambers. Make sure they don't compress or your will bend a rod... After letting everything dry out and treating everything make sure you change your oil/filter as well!
Old 05-15-2007, 12:52 PM
Accordaleer

My father had 2 cars get flooded, one at home, that car got totalled because it stunk and had horrible electrical problems and the other recently while he was at work, the parking lot flooded. He vaccumed the water out and it didnt smell so he thought everything was okay until a few weeks later strange things started happening. He brought it to the dealership to get it looked at and they asked him if he had been in a flood. The wires in the car were corroding and weird things were going on with the lights and radio etc.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:04 PM
crskillz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I work in Wayne NJ. Last month I was forced to drive thru a flood on Route 46. I couldn't back up or anything. The rear axle was definitely under water as well as the the muffler...however, I made it through. I was pissed because I only had the car since January and I couldn't back up on the highway, everything was flooded...The car has been driving well and I haven't had any problems... however, after reading this thread, I'm concerned..... Since then, I had my oil changed (I'm @ 6000 miles). What suggestions can you offer for me to have Nissan check? Sorry to thread jack!
Old 05-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Mazinger Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by savvy
you can add that to the pwned thread that got started ealier. Sorry to hear that man.
I think "he's" a "she" LOL...sucks, hope your insurance covers it...
Old 05-15-2007, 01:53 PM
zeekle

That really sucks.

I expect they will total it if it is as bad as it sounds.

Now how much you will get is another matter. They are only going to give you wholesale value on the car so be prepared to fork out some cash to get into another one.

Good luck let us know what the insurance folks say.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Zmazing03

Why would you drive a Z through several feet of water, in the first place?
Old 05-15-2007, 06:56 PM
crskillz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zmazing03
Why would you drive a Z through several feet of water, in the first place?
I highly doubt he drove through the water on purpose...I can relate to this story....I live in a flood zone and sometimes it's hard to judge the water coverage on the road until you're in it....I'm sure most of the Z owners that live in the tri-state area can relate to this from this past month when we experienced a similar rain storm which flooded a lot of highways....no one plans to test the Z as a boat!
Old 05-15-2007, 09:50 PM
ZThang

I'm in houston too, Where did this occur? I saw a ton of cars flooded out on 290 near Hollister/Tidwell. As for everyone else reading this thread...it was literally like 2 feet of rain in 5 minutes. I was on the freeway and all of a sudden I couldn't see anything.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:29 PM
hatchboi

so that is where the rain went, sorry bout hearing your lose but that sh**T was raining hard over in the NO too
Old 05-16-2007, 05:09 AM
tightwhip

Originally Posted by ZThang
I'm in houston too, Where did this occur? I saw a ton of cars flooded out on 290 near Hollister/Tidwell. As for everyone else reading this thread...it was literally like 2 feet of rain in 5 minutes. I was on the freeway and all of a sudden I couldn't see anything.
It happened at Westheimer and Seagler... close to Beltway 8.

I have "gap" insurance, so if they total it, that should pick up the difference right?

Any YES... "he" is a SHE - Samantha
Old 05-16-2007, 05:17 AM
MasterRacer

Originally Posted by tightwhip

I have "gap" insurance, so if they total it, that should pick up the difference right?

Yep if the car is totaled your gap insurance will cover any
amt that is not payed by insurance, its usually a few grand
if your upside down or w/e ! lol

.................................ummm.. pics?..........wheres ur myspace
Old 05-16-2007, 05:19 AM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear that though! Shouldnt be a problem with insurance its to new of a car.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:35 AM
Ataru074

Unhappy

Originally Posted by tightwhip

that's the reason we haven't the electricity for a while... (gessner / briar forest) I guess at the same time I was driving on btw8 coming back home

good luck for your Z.

Matteo

Quick Reply: flooded my Z yesterday =(