07 350Z vs 07 S2K vs 06 GTO. Opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 07:24 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5ZliO4rUPvg

STI vs GTO

Older one, but look at that lean and poor handling.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xPS5EDY7Z3g

And a 350z vs a GTO 6.0

Need I say more.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8kzdPCuHh_A

Thank you, you just got owned. And I am done fighting over the internet with kids.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:53 PM
twitch579

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now the Z is a hands down winner in my book. I would never even think about a S2K, thats like a little 2 Miata to me.

But the GTO is a nice car! DONT get these confused with crap american cars. GTO is Aussy Made 100%. The interior easily rivals the Z's!! I actually think its higher quality!! Also guys dont forget GTO has a LS2 not a LS1. Thats a serious motor, and 3700Lbs sounds like alot but 400Ft Lbs will carry that like nothing. Its a nice car, to me its really in a different catagory.

Its a muscle car!
Old 05-23-2007, 07:58 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by twitch579
Now the Z is a hands down winner in my book. I would never even think about a S2K, thats like a little 2 Miata to me.

But the GTO is a nice car! DONT get these confused with crap american cars. GTO is Aussy Made 100%. The interior easily rivals the Z's!! I actually think its higher quality!! Also guys dont forget GTO has a LS2 not a LS1. Thats a serious motor, and 3700Lbs sounds like alot but 400Ft Lbs will carry that like nothing. Its a nice car, to me its really in a different catagory.

Its a muscle car!
Solo 350 seems to think they are heavy slugs. He obviously has no concept of power to weight ratio. I wonder if he will think the new GTR is a bloated pig, seeing that it will weigh about the same, if not more than the LS2 GTO. I also don't believe he has a clue as to what an LS2 motor is.

I only have two gripes against the GTO.

-Plain Jane exterior look
-Wimpy stock tires.

Other than that, it is fast and quick, has a very nice interior, and that awesome V8 rumble.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:04 PM
pimpsahab

Originally Posted by Zmazing03
Eats gas? Uh no. It gets the same gas mileage as a Z.

The GTO will beat a Z substantially in the 1/4. High 12s all day long. And for those of you who think it doesn't handle, think again. Sure, the Z handles better, but the GTO is no slouch. Also, the Z can't go 180 mph.

It isn't ugly, its just boring looking IMO.

If you like to mod, GTO > Z by a long shot.

I love how people bash the GTO. That is one hell of a car. Drive one, and see what I mean.
+1
Old 05-23-2007, 08:07 PM
bacalhau16

Solo, I was listening to what you had to say, and thought you were holding your case pretty well. With that in mind, take down the 350z vs GTO street race because that is stupid and doesnt compare the cars great at all. Street racing should not be used to compare cars, its stupid!
Old 05-23-2007, 08:10 PM
bacalhau16

Also, the STI vs. GTO comparo video is funny, only because it compares a 400hp GTO to the older 03-05 STI's which are not as good as the 07 STI's. Not that there is a huge difference, but the 07's are that much nicer.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:16 PM
tjeter

I'm sorry to jump in, i know this is my first post but the 06 GTO runs atleast 13.3 i read it in a motor trend magazine and thats coming from a magazine, half the time better times can always be achieved. That car is very capable i don't know about the 180 mph top speed but they are no slouch thats for sure.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:18 PM
tjeter

Plus i've seen better times posted on forums for the GTO, but i'm going to stick to whats written in ink. (i.e. the magazine)
Old 05-23-2007, 08:29 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by tjeter
Plus i've seen better times posted on forums for the GTO, but i'm going to stick to whats written in ink. (i.e. the magazine)
I wouldn't rely on magazine times. If that were the case, then the 350Z would not be as good as it is real world. Most magazines rate the '06 at or about 14 seconds flat in the quater and 0-60 times close to 6 seconds. And it's already neem proven that there are much beter stock times to be had in the real world.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:02 PM
2003DropTopGT

I think the OP REALLY needs to go out and test drive these cars. I have, and from personal preference, I think the Z topped them all.

However, the others are very respectable.

I still can't forget how the GTO (06) will still pull hard in 5th gear at 35 mph. That was unbelievable to me (My 4.6 can't come close to doing that) The interior was hard to believe as well, I never knew a "dumbestic" could have such creature comforts inside!

The S2000 (AP1) was a great, easy car to drive. The clutch is incredibly short, throw was really short, and it stays incredibly flat while turning, stock. Everything just felt so stable in the car, even when pushing it around corners.

However, after driving the Z, I had such a charismatic experience, that I can't help but smile when I think back on it. Neither of those cars could match it.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:10 PM
Zmazing03

Wrong. The GTO can barely do 13s. It's a boat. The Z can do 13.3 obviously for a 07 model. That is faster than a GTO!

The GTO can't go 180 mph either. Get your facts straight buddy. This is from a old LS1 owne
First off, the OP is talking about a 2006 GTO, which is what I am talking about. And it can't go 180 mph? Okay. I've been in the car when it was done. Maybe it was 178, 179, close enough. No, it can't do 180 stock, its governed. I did say my buddies car was tuned? Yeah, it could do over 180, with two other people in the car.

Wrong. The GTO can barely do 13s. It's a boat. The Z can do 13.3 obviously for a 07 model. That is faster than a GTO!
LMFAO. Even GM says it can do 13 even. I've seen time slips for high 12s on stock GTOs. I have yet to hear of a 2007 Z running a 13.3. Best I have heard of is 13.45 or so. Define boat? Whats a GTO weigh, 300 lbs more than a Z? Please.

SOLO-Z is an idiot. You go race an LS2 GTO and let me know how it works out, that is if you even get the Z. Unless he sucks at driving and you are excellent, you will lose. Period.

Lesson of the Day: Do not **** with a LS2 GTO in any year Z34, unless you are FI or spraying.

I agree HDPD350Z. I am not a fan of most American cars, but if the GTO looked better and wasn't so plain, I would own one. Simple as that. Yes, the stock tires are wimpy (I think 245s?), but that can be fixed. The looks are a little harder to change.

Let's do a Quick Rundown for the GTO haters out there:

0-60: GTO
1/4 mil: GTO
Top Speed: GTO
Braking: GTO
Handling: Z
Aftermarket support: GTO
Looks: Z
Price: GTO
Interior: GTO
Fuel Mileage: Z

From that list, the GTO wins 7-3. Problem is I can't get over the looks.

Last edited by Zmazing03; 05-23-2007 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:19 PM
turismo

Gearing plays a huge roll in the times that the Z's see. An 07, with a 3.9 swap, should see 13.0 easly. I like the style of the GTO, but cant agree with the 3800lb wieght that it carries. My choice would be between the S2000 and Z. And for the people that say, torque is non existant in the S2000, I say this; your only going to be out of your powerband in 1st gear, once your past that, the ability to control what gear your in is up to you, therfore you can match revs vs gear and optimize your torque
Old 05-23-2007, 10:34 PM
jelly

i know this is a z forum, and i love my z as well... but man, some of you are so biased lol.
05-06 gto is a freaking BEAST. yeah sure a stock 07 z will maybe do a 13.3 with a great driver on a cold day... but a stock gto will do at least 13.3 with weak driver all day long, literally. slap on some cheap bolt-ons on that 6.0 gurgling motor? it's over, hands down. on rolling starts or freeway race, the z will be... well.... raped.

and no, you can't do a 13.0 on a stock Z "easily" -_-;;
Old 05-23-2007, 11:10 PM
Karma_Hunden

The reason I asked that question is because I'm not afraid of giving the pros and cons to those that come asking at the forum Im in. I own a MazdaSpeed6 btw. Today somebody asked what should they pick, wrx or Speed6...I asked him what he wanted to do, and he said autox, I more than gladly pointed at the wrx. Notice how I refer myself to everyone being bias before I posted; I am aware of that, but I figure most of you are capable of giving me your honest opinion and are not brainwashed like most of the people are with their cars.

SOLO, the LS2 GTO is pretty fast, you might be coming from an LS1, but and LS1 and an LS2 are two different beasts. The 04 GTO is slow compared to thee 5.7L LS2 on the 05...pump that to a 6.0L LS2 and you got the 06. Nothing to mess with on a long strip of highway. However, everyones opinion seems to be right on target. I know about the GTO but not much about the Zed/S2K, hence my questions.

BTW, about that video of the Z vs GTO street race, I PM the guy asking him why he wanted to sell his Z (he said it on a comment) if it was mad fast and sounded pretty sick and this is what he replied with--->
I am not much of a quarter mile guy. I road race and built the car for it. but, I am moving on to something faster after extracting all the performance I could (reasonably) from the Z. it has been an exceptional car, still getting great gas mileage after 60,000 miles and many performance mods. the cars were about even in this video, mike the GTO owner had not done much to his car although he had more than he claimed in this thread. I don't think he was running the car the whole way to redline. this would be neither the first nor last time I have beaten a car much faster than my own, so who knows!

richard

So I asked him what was he looking for...he replied-->
I have an order on a Lotus Exige 255 Cup which I am waiting to arrive. As I mentioned I am a road racer, and the power to weight situation with the Lotus makes it the best bargain in its segment esp. on the types of highly technical tracks I race at. The cup car (not the same as an exige or exige s) is just as fast as any of the big GT cars I race (F40, F50, Enzo, etc) due to the insanely high cornering speed. Weighing 1000 pounds less than the competition has its advantages -- especially around turns

richard
and thats that.

Thanks for your opinion guys keep'em coming!!

Last edited by Karma_Hunden; 05-23-2007 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:36 PM
Cerebra1

SOLO-Z is an idiot. You go race an LS2 GTO and let me know how it works out, that is if you even get the Z. Unless he sucks at driving and you are excellent, you will lose. Period.

Lesson of the Day: Do not **** with a LS2 GTO in any year Z34, unless you are FI or spraying.

I agree HDPD350Z. I am not a fan of most American cars, but if the GTO looked better and wasn't so plain, I would own one. Simple as that. Yes, the stock tires are wimpy (I think 245s?), but that can be fixed. The looks are a little harder to change.

+1

My dad owns the 06 GTO and trust me they are a beast to drive, you can tell there is alot of power there, and its effortless with the torque. I'm not sure about the speed limiter, but I got it to 160mph ~ and it felt like there was still room to move. Personally I love the looks, but maybe because I'm an Aussie and there is just no muscle cars here (z06 starts at 260,000). Stock for Stock the GTO is superior. When you put ur foot down your instantly pushed back in your seat, not like the Z which usually comes on around 4500rpm. With just an exhuast Dad ran 12.3s all night, while I struggle getting 14.3s, although I have the 2003 model and bone stock.

It all comes down to what you prefer, if performance and 'bang for ur buck' is what your after, get the GTO. Also having rear seats is a big plus if its your daily driver. I wouldnt even consider an s2k, just a tiny pos 4 banger. I know it sounds like im hating on the Z, but im defiently not, else I wouldn't of bought one. I guess im just reinforcing that unless you have driven the LS2, your opinion doesn't hold any grounds, just get out there and test drive them both and make up your own mind, with pro's and con's in relation to your life.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:45 AM
Riley07

The GTO has good handling??? My friend has a 06 and it's handling is horrible!!!! The handling just feels sloppy along with the shifting..Feels real cheap..Maybe it's just the steering, but I wouldn't spend the money on that car by no means... Everyone makes fun of it because him and the car because it looks so much like a Grand Am...We have ran a couple of times and stock for stock, it's pretty much even...If he was to start modding, that would be a different story..We are both decent drivers...Just go test drive all of them and you will like the Z more...I had a 03 S2000 and the handling on it was awesome, but as everyone else has said, it has no TORQUE!

Last edited by Riley07; 05-24-2007 at 03:47 AM.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:22 AM
Zmazing03

Whats a GTO hold on the skidpad, .85 g? And the Z is like .89?

Don't tear me apart on that one -- I am trying to remember what it said without looking because I have to get to work.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:29 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z
Solo 350 seems to think they are heavy slugs. He obviously has no concept of power to weight ratio. I wonder if he will think the new GTR is a bloated pig, seeing that it will weigh about the same, if not more than the LS2 GTO. I also don't believe he has a clue as to what an LS2 motor is.

I only have two gripes against the GTO.

-Plain Jane exterior look
-Wimpy stock tires.

Other than that, it is fast and quick, has a very nice interior, and that awesome V8 rumble.
LOL! I don't know what a LS2 is? I have opened up a LS1! LS2 isn't that much different than a LS1 sir.

3750-3800lb in car weight is heavy! 400lb of TQ yes is nice but still the weight factors in. You really need to read up more. I swear the kids these days. You have NEVER OWNED a LS powered car and your talking like you know everything about them.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:37 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Wow you just proved how much of a idiot you are.

The GTO can not do the topspeed you specified STOCK. We are talking STOCK. You really think that car can do that fast? Dream on. EVen the GTO guys said its not possible. The video even shows how slow of a crawl it does and it literally stops at 166. And that car had no speed limiter on it. since the Speed limiter kicks in around 163.

You need to do more research. A Z has done 13.3 here on the site with a bad clutch. That was bone stock 2007. The GTO weighs about 400-500 lb more than a base Z, or about 300lb more than a loaded Z.

Oh yea, the 350z is a Z33 not a Z34. Again you have no clue what your talking about.

GTO does 60-0 in 124 ft last I looked.

The Z does it like in 108. Again WRONG.

1/4 time is a toss up since both are getting the same times stock. 0-60 questionable.

Originally Posted by Zmazing03
First off, the OP is talking about a 2006 GTO, which is what I am talking about. And it can't go 180 mph? Okay. I've been in the car when it was done. Maybe it was 178, 179, close enough. No, it can't do 180 stock, its governed. I did say my buddies car was tuned? Yeah, it could do over 180, with two other people in the car.

LMFAO. Even GM says it can do 13 even. I've seen time slips for high 12s on stock GTOs. I have yet to hear of a 2007 Z running a 13.3. Best I have heard of is 13.45 or so. Define boat? Whats a GTO weigh, 300 lbs more than a Z? Please.

Quick Reply: 07 350Z vs 07 S2K vs 06 GTO. Opinions.