Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Wet Weather Spin Out

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 08:53 AM
PM-Performance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i promisd my Z, I would drive her in the rain at all. I jut had to though to see how it would be, to get used to it. deff not as assy as my Supra.
Drive it like a baby in new conditions to get used to it.

Also, to get to know your car more, I suggest taking it to an auto x. Get to rip on it and learn how it handles in turns at higher revs and speeds to see how it reacts. If you hit a cone or go sideways, no big deal. nothing to hit out there
Old 05-25-2007, 08:55 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Waveridingone
I didn't hit a curb or anything just slid sideways and backways. I was lucky nobody was coming the other direction. I did turn the traction control off earlier in the drive home yesterday. The tires are potenza and the rear psi is around 38/39. Since I've only had it 4 weeks I'm just wanting to make sure I didn't cause any damage. Yeah, the dealership service person they those things out and also said to check my front tires for wear on the insides and that would help to verify if I knocked the alignment out. I keep saying to myself it was a slick wet road and I didn't hit anything so how could it have done any damage. It did kill the motor and I had to restart after I check my pants and seat. I do have an auto transmission. Thanks for the reassurance.
How many miles in the tires?

The Z is fine. You can do donuts all day long without adverse effects.

Last edited by davidv; 05-25-2007 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:08 AM
Waveridingone

When I got the car it had 10k miles on it. The tires have good tread front and rear. I'm glad to hear that from all the replies the Z is fine from the spin out. After driving it in to work it seemed fine but there is that little voice in the back of your mind going "did that just feel normal" or "I don't think it felt the same" kind of thing going on. I guess I have new owner jitters. After have two european vehicles the Z is by far the most enjoyable.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:13 AM
jeff91ta

Originally Posted by abyss
my bad I skimmed over that somehow.

No problem..... I was wondering if you were just being sarcastic and I missed it.... too tired after watching the Pistons last night!
Old 05-25-2007, 09:22 AM
Waveridingone

No problem. If I had done something to the Z my wife would have never let me live it down. She wanted me to get an Audi or an RX8. So when I said I had an interesting drive home yesterday she instantly thought of how much would it cost kind of thing. She still hasn't gotten over the premium fuel thing either.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:45 AM
z-u-later

Like other members already posted, you need to lower your tire pressure (32-35psi) when it's raining to increase contact patch. Also, always leave your TCS on -- rain or shine. You never know when you'll come across an emergency situation. If you're feeling aggressive and need to loosen up the Z a bit, turn the TCS off but make sure you're in a safe environment. TCS is always off when I auto-x or at the track.

Attend an HPDE or local auto-x event to learn more about your Z, and yourself. You'll be amaze how much your Z can handle. You'll be even more amaze how much more you can improve as a driver.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:50 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

I didn't hit a curb or anything just slid sideways and backways. I was lucky nobody was coming the other direction. I did turn the traction control off earlier in the drive home yesterday. .....
I'm not sure why one would turn traction control off in the rain. Leave it on during rain, and if you must, turn it off when it's dry outside. Safe driving my friend, we don't want your next thread to be, "I totalled my Z"
Old 05-25-2007, 09:58 AM
jeff91ta

She still hasn't gotten over the premium fuel thing either.
Sorry to get off topic but...

Look at it this way(just some estimates): 12,000miles per year / 21mpg = 571 gallons of gas per year....

$0.20 extra per gallon of premium over the 87 stuff x 571 gallons =

$114 extra per year

Then you can tell her it's no big deal
Old 05-25-2007, 10:00 AM
Z MANIA
psychedelic one

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did turn the traction control off earlier in the drive home yesterday.
Noob. Leave this on until you have a much better appreciation of the car's power. I think that you know that you got away with one here. Be grateful..be careful.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:22 AM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

Originally Posted by Z MANIA
Noob. Leave this on until you have a much better appreciation of the car's power. I think that you know that you got away with one here. Be grateful..be careful.

I believe that if you shut your car off and start it again the TCS resets to the on position. You have to manually shut it off everytime you drive.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:23 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by Z MANIA
+1, I didn't want to be the one to say it.

Vo(likes to give people the benefit of the doubt)
Old 05-25-2007, 10:35 AM
zdrift78

what im wondering is how did the engine stall if it's an auto??
Old 05-25-2007, 10:35 AM
abyss

Originally Posted by Richy350Z
I think I am the only one on this forums that has had this happened to him.

First night I bought My Z , I ran into a G35 (on the highway). We went 160mph+ STRAIGHT! My car jumped and I was spinning 180degrees both sides. Until I gained control. Thank god, I did at that speed! Anyways, once I got control I pulled over to thank god and check my car around. Tires were brand new but due to me losing control and sliding. ALL TIRES had one bald spot down to the wire from the sliding. Everything else was fine, except for a bumpy ride back home from the bald tires.
I'd change that last line in your sig.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:55 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by zdrift78
what im wondering is how did the engine stall if it's an auto??
Not sure how's his stalled, but I know on the MT's there's some type of fuel cut-off gizmo that shuts the fuel down when you go into any type of spin out. I tried it once in an empty parking lot after it rained to see if it worked. It worked, you just have to turn you key to the off position before trying to crank it over again. This probably goes the same for AT's also.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:58 AM
push

What is 'low speed', 5-10? Going straight at a light at low speed and doing a 180 just doesn't make sense to me. Either you weren't as easy on it as you are saying or you were driving in reverse. I had my z in the rain a ton and the only time I even came close to pulling a 180 was getting it sideways around a turn. If you gas it with the wheel straight you should be able to stop well before you pull a 180. Sounds like you need to take it out and learn the car, I highly doubt anything is damaged to it if you didn't hit anything. Keep the TCS ON until you learn how to drive it, I don't need you driving up z insurance any more than it already is
Old 05-25-2007, 11:07 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by push
I don't need you driving up z insurance any more than it already is
Tr00f. Ask Wren, his premium just went up to $3300/year.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Waveridingone

Thanks for all the feedback! I went out during lunch and left the traction control ON! I'll have to take it easy with this car. I certainly don't want to wreck the thing. I just glad that everyone things that it didn't harm the suspension etc... That is a relief! Does anyone know if there is an HPDE or local auto-x event in the Dallas area?
Old 05-25-2007, 01:07 PM
jtabraham

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the feedback! I went out during lunch and left the traction control ON! I'll have to take it easy with this car. I certainly don't want to wreck the thing. I just glad that everyone things that it didn't harm the suspension etc... That is a relief! Does anyone know if there is an HPDE or local auto-x event in the Dallas area?

There are auto-x events all over the place. Check with your area's SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) website for dates. In the Northeast, a lot of BMW and Porsche clubs will also host auto-x events as well, so look at those local websites as well.

Welcome to the board by the way!
Old 05-25-2007, 01:14 PM
S8ER95Z

What the hell would you guys do with some real power to the wheels?? I see guys on here spinning/wrecking their cars bone stock... if they are really that dangerous it raises two things in my mind...

1) how the hell could you claim the 350z is a great handling car if it spins out at the first sign of moisture...and...
2) how the hell do the modded guys keep their car from just flying off the road
Old 05-25-2007, 01:18 PM
UGOTZ'D

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
What the hell would you guys do with some real power to the wheels?? I see guys on here spinning/wrecking their cars bone stock... if they are really that dangerous it raises two things in my mind...

1) how the hell could you claim the 350z is a great handling car if it spins out at the first sign of moisture...and...
2) how the hell do the modded guys keep their car from just flying off the road

IT'S ALL ABOUT DRIVER'S EXPERIENCE/ COMMON SENSE!

Quick Reply: Wet Weather Spin Out