Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Wet Weather Spin Out

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 07:17 AM
Waveridingone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet Weather Spin Out

I recently purchased my 350Z and yesterday I spun out while it was raining. The light changed and I barely started going when the my backend spun around I ended up sliding backwards across the other side of the road. I think their must have been something like oil on the road because it felt like I was on ice. I didn't hit anything and the speed was low. My question is could I have damaged anything? It drives normal but I'm still freaked. I called the service department and they said that I might have knocked it out of alignment or damaged the axel seal. Does any of that sound right? Thanks.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:23 AM
XtoZ

unless you hit a curb or something, i wouldnt worry, sounds like the stealership wants your money!
Old 05-25-2007, 07:31 AM
Nalizan

Are you driving on the stock potenza tires ? After I first got the Z I felt the back end slip a little the first time it rained. I noticed that the tires where at 41psi. I lowered them to the recommended 35psi and they feel like they have alot better grip now. It could also be that I am just more used to the car now too. It is good that you did not hit anything or anybody though. Hope the car is ok
Old 05-25-2007, 07:39 AM
PM-Performance

the techs are retarded. They figured if you called to ask that, they can rip you off from not knowing better.
If you didnt hit anything, a little sliding wont hurt anything.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:40 AM
Waveridingone

I didn't hit a curb or anything just slid sideways and backways. I was lucky nobody was coming the other direction. I did turn the traction control off earlier in the drive home yesterday. The tires are potenza and the rear psi is around 38/39. Since I've only had it 4 weeks I'm just wanting to make sure I didn't cause any damage. Yeah, the dealership service person they those things out and also said to check my front tires for wear on the insides and that would help to verify if I knocked the alignment out. I keep saying to myself it was a slick wet road and I didn't hit anything so how could it have done any damage. It did kill the motor and I had to restart after I check my pants and seat. I do have an auto transmission. Thanks for the reassurance.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:43 AM
jtabraham

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When it first begins to rain, a lot of oil and other greasy residue in the road will come to the surface and make the road more slick than normal water would make it. This happens especially at stop signs and traffic lights, where you will find more oil and grease residue.

Regarding throwing your alignment off...remember that people here track and autocross their cars frequently, exposing their Z's to much harsher conditions than your spin out, with no damage. If it still feels funky in dry weather, maybe have it looked at, but my bet is that you're fine and just encountered a slick patch of road.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:47 AM
stein

OP, what model z did you get? I am guessing one w/o traction control.... If so then I suggest you be a bit more careful and learn the limits of your car and how rwd works.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:53 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stein
OP, what model z did you get? I am guessing one w/o traction control.... If so then I suggest you be a bit more careful and learn the limits of your car and how rwd works.
+1 and i highly doubt you hurt anything. with experience next time you will know to immediately left off the gas once the car starts to get sideways.
vaughn1576

Avoid that dealerships service department like the plague!
abyss

Originally Posted by stein
\/
Originally Posted by Waveridingone
I did turn the traction control off earlier in the drive home yesterday.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:56 AM
jeff91ta

I can't believe no one has asked how hard you mashed on the gas at the light!!! There's no way a Z will do a 180 and fly across the road if you "barely started going"... UNLESS

you had traction control off on purpose because it was wet out and you wanted to see how far you could go with the wheels spinning.... and then you lost control.

Drive Safe... you're lucky you didn't F up the new ride.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:00 AM
Fluid1

If you don't know how to drive your own car under specific conditions, then don't drive during that time.
You should check your tire pressure every time before getting into the vehicle.

I suggest that you go get some driving lessons.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:02 AM
abyss

Originally Posted by jeff91ta
I can't believe no one has asked how hard you mashed on the gas at the light!!! There's no way a Z will do a 180 and fly across the road if you "barely started going"... UNLESS

you had traction control off on purpose because it was wet out and you wanted to see how far you could go with the wheels spinning.... and then you lost control.

Drive Safe... you're lucky you didn't F up the new ride.
Who said anything about a 180? He said he got alot of wheel spin and slid backwards into the other lane. Sounds like he was on an incline, and everyone knows roads are slicker than shit when the rain first starts.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:05 AM
Waveridingone

I was light on the gas because the car in front of me slipped when they moved forward and I experience the same slippage. I got going and then in a split second I was going sideways and then backwards all the while I'm mashing on the brakes. That's what leads me to believe that something was on the road.

Last edited by Waveridingone; 05-25-2007 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:11 AM
stein

Originally Posted by abyss
\/
ahh.... OP, keep traction control on when it rains! Personally, unless I am planing on getting sideways [rare] I always keep TC on if it is raining. I also keep it on when on the highway.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:14 AM
jeff91ta

Originally Posted by abyss
Who said anything about a 180? He said he got alot of wheel spin and slid backwards into the other lane. Sounds like he was on an incline, and everyone knows roads are slicker than shit when the rain first starts.

and I barely started going when the my backend spun around I ended up sliding backwards across the other side of the road.

Spun the car until facing the other direction --> 180
Old 05-25-2007, 08:25 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The tires are potenza and the rear psi is around 38/39.
That's a little high, especially if the tires are cool as they would be in rain. Overpressure reduces the contact patch - making traction worse than normal.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:28 AM
abyss

Red face

Originally Posted by jeff91ta
Spun the car until facing the other direction --> 180
my bad I skimmed over that somehow.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:30 AM
Waveridingone

Sounds like I need to reduce the tire pressure in the rear to 35 psi and leave the traction control on. Thanks for all the great feedback.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:43 AM
Richy350Z

I think I am the only one on this forums that has had this happened to him.

First night I bought My Z , I ran into a G35 (on the highway). We went 160mph+ STRAIGHT! My car jumped and I was spinning 180degrees both sides. Until I gained control. Thank god, I did at that speed! Anyways, once I got control I pulled over to thank god and check my car around. Tires were brand new but due to me losing control and sliding. ALL TIRES had one bald spot down to the wire from the sliding. Everything else was fine, except for a bumpy ride back home from the bald tires.

Quick Reply: Wet Weather Spin Out