Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Am I ready for a Z?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Plague_oc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I ready for a Z?

Well, Ive been looking at getting a Z for a few months now, going to be going to college soon and I'm wondering if it is the right time to buy a Z.

I have been driving my parents Honda and corolla for two years now and am planning to practice driving a cheap beater manual for a good part of the summer. My question is, do you think this is the right time to get a sports car?
Would I need more experience? I am turning 19 and I don't want to make the mistake of buying a sports car too early only to wreck it and get myself hurt in the process. Cant say I'm not looking forward to owning one though
Old 05-27-2007, 02:19 PM
HDPDZO6

If you have to ask a question like that, then don't get one yet.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:36 PM
acelesson

Z is not for you. Get an RSX or something.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:40 PM
dbasal

If you can not buy it without help, then you are not ready.

I would wait until after college to buy a nice car. Doesn't make any sense to have one while in school. There are other things you should be concentrating on instead of a car.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:42 PM
iceagetlc

I got mine at 18 (19 now), and it was hardly "too much power". RWD in the rain is your only concern, although easy to master, if you have years of RWD driving under your belt.

But as blasphemous as this is, I wouldn't really consider the Z a "sports car" in the sense you mean as far as shear power. In fact I'd probably have traded it in by now if I wasn't planning on Vorteching it this summer. It's a good looking and handling car, but good numbers are expensive to put down without FI.

RSX would wear off in months. This is a good car to grow into.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:44 PM
moflow

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

get a cheap, fun car for college. I had a Celica all-trac from 1988. Fast enough to be fun, but still cheap. I'm very happy I waited until after college to get the Z. It would've gotten messed up in school. You might take good care of your car but the other thousands of drunk 18-22 year olds who you live with wont.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:45 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by Plague_oc
Well, Ive been looking at getting a Z for a few months now, going to be going to college soon and I'm wondering if it is the right time to buy a Z.

I have been driving my parents Honda and corolla for two years now and am planning to practice driving a cheap beater manual for a good part of the summer. My question is, do you think this is the right time to get a sports car?
Would I need more experience? I am turning 19 and I don't want to make the mistake of buying a sports car too early only to wreck it and get myself hurt in the process. Cant say I'm not looking forward to owning one though
This car is extremely easy to drive when stock! It does not have that much power and handles OK with the stock suspension. I think its the best starter sport car someone could get. I would get a used 05 track, that way you have a rev-up motor and the cool brembo brakes. Good Luck!
Old 05-27-2007, 02:45 PM
Zridder19

You should be ok....as long as you respect it, and respect the power. You can definatly get yourself into trouble if you get too cocky. Gotta watch out where you park too, especially going to school like that. Too many irresponsible people that dont respect others. damn door dings
Old 05-27-2007, 02:46 PM
iceagetlc

Originally Posted by moflow
You might take good care of your car but the other thousands of drunk 18-22 year olds who you live with wont.
That's a good point. As cool as it is to have a nice car at my age, I always leave it in a place far from people when going out. If it's not at home, it's in empty, well lit parking lot. I'd rather bum rides or drive my dad's 1987 plymouth voyager than draw attention to myself from a bunch of chavs.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:46 PM
Plague_oc

Thanks for the advice guys
Old 05-27-2007, 02:51 PM
iceagetlc

And I know I'll take some heat for this, but every one of these "Should I get a Z" topics expects a few elitist middle-aged Z owners who take it as an opportunity to lessen the pool of people who drive this car, as if owning one submits the newcomer to this honoroble country club where everyone else has to endure their abnoxious noobiness. Why deny someone the spirit of the Z, regardless of their respect of the history?

I'm not saying this should be your FIRST car, but it's definitely no prized yellow bird porsche.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:53 PM
Plague_oc

Well I speak of the Z as something spectacular partly because Ive never driving anything faster than a Honda CRV
Old 05-27-2007, 02:56 PM
iceagetlc

Originally Posted by Plague_oc
Well I speak of the Z as something spectacular partly because Ive never driving anything faster than a Honda CRV

Ha, that's one reason. My little brother (15) owns two 280z'. One to be turbocharged and shown, the other simply a classic to be restored to its original state.

It's nice to go for a ride in an older Z and notice the style cues (see: 07 hood bulge), and experience the history of the Z legacy.

Then there's the type who sees it, says, "that's cool, I want one", and can enjoy it all the same. I don't let it get to me.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:57 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iceagetlc
And I know I'll take some heat for this, but every one of these "Should I get a Z" topics expects a few elitist middle-aged Z owners who take it as an opportunity to lessen the pool of people who drive this car, as if owning one submits the newcomer to this honoroble country club where everyone else has to endure their abnoxious noobiness. Why deny someone the spirit of the Z, regardless of their respect of the history?

I'm not saying this should be your FIRST car, but it's definitely no prized yellow bird porsche.

Sounds like something a teenager who's parents bought the car would say...
Old 05-27-2007, 02:59 PM
NISMOdtc

yeah the Z is definitely hard to keep safe in a college town...i woke up one morning to my back glass completely shattered in my own apartment complex...drunk *******s tend to mess up things that are nice
Old 05-27-2007, 03:01 PM
Divergent13

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
lol +1. he didn't pay for it so why should it be a prized possession when they'll just buy him another one.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:02 PM
iceagetlc

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
Would you like a copy of my driver's license along side the insurance and registration forms bearing only my name? And my bank invoice deducting the payment every month? Or will you just stfu on your own accord?
Old 05-27-2007, 03:06 PM
iceagetlc

Originally Posted by Divergent13
lol +1. he didn't pay for it so why should it be a prized possession when they'll just buy him another one.

Yea, I missed out on the part where I said it wasn't a prized posession. Let me read over the post again....

Nope, still don't see it.

All I said is it's not a rare collector.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Plague_oc

just curious ice, do your brother's turbo Z perform better than the 350z? I remember seeing something on Top Gear not sure if it was about this though.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:20 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Divergent13
He's probably mad the old man wouldn't buy him the Porsche or Bimmer HE wanted.

*stomps feet*

Quick Reply: Am I ready for a Z?