Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

VDC tried to kill me!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 04:30 PM
Tubbs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3

I've accidently left it turned on during autocrossing and have been surprised that it didn't kick in. Then again, although the wheels were spinning and sliding, I was in control so I assume it saw no reason to stop me.

I was in control as well. It just felt like this was the corner to step in.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:12 PM
zedated

I think VDC is overrated. I too have felt weirdness going into a wide sweeping curve from a long straightaway. You build speed on the straight, then brake in anticipation of the curve, then accelerate through the curve. But for some reason, VDC sees that you're braking and turning and tries to compensate, sending you straight off the damn road! I'd rather control the car myself, thank you!
Old 05-28-2007, 05:14 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by zedated
I think VDC is overrated. I too have felt weirdness going into a wide sweeping curve from a long straightaway. You build speed on the straight, then brake in anticipation of the curve, then accelerate through the curve. But for some reason, VDC sees that you're braking and turning and tries to compensate, sending you straight off the damn road! I'd rather control the car myself, thank you!

Thank you! I would rather buy the car WITHOUT VDC, but Canada allows no such thing.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Tubbs
I don't think I've changed my story except when I said brakes locked up. They were "locked up" as much as much as ABS will allow.

I grew up with a 454 camaro, my 440 68 charger, an old AMC Javelin and a 340 70 Road runner. I also had a 91 talon tsi and my first car was a modded 88 daytona Shelby. I am familiar with many types of vehicles, most of which were more powerful than the 350.

There probably was a hint of slippage at the back, something which is easily controlled without electronics.

As for having VDC on, well sometimes you forget to turn it off. :/
I refer to your "brake lockup" description and your "attitude" change (first scared, and then not scared) that Dave caught (his post pointing this out is about halfway up on page 2 on this thread). Whenever you change your account, your credibility drops.

yes. and the corner was not unique, and my speed was well within reason (gf and her car-sick dog) were with me.
Two major distractions (very pretty gf and a car-sick dog (projectile vomiting all over your Z's interior) that may affect your reporting accuracy. I mean... Who could possibly remember precise details when driving under these circumstances?

I'm surprised you were able to keep the car on the road at all.

--Spike
Old 05-28-2007, 05:22 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by Spike100
I refer to your "brake lockup" description and your "attitude" change (first scared, and then not scared) that Dave caught (his post pointing this out is about halfway up on page 2 on this thread). Whenever you change your account, your credibility drops.
I never changed though. I said when I got back in I was scared shiatless. I couldn't trust the car, plus I had no idea what happened. I wasn't scared when it happened. And the brake lockup... with todays ABS vehicles it was as locked up as it could get.

Two major distractions (very pretty gf and a car-sick dog (projectile vomiting all over your Z's interior) that may affect your reporting accuracy. I mean... Who could possibly remember precise details when driving under these circumstances?

I'm surprised you were able to keep the car on the road at all.

--Spike

Fishtailing at 80mph on a tight sweeper keeps my attention on the car
Old 05-28-2007, 06:37 PM
Kegsbane

My tail comes out in a predictable fashion. Base model FTW.

Glad you're still with us Tubbs.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:56 PM
ke0ki2k

that sucks, i have a base and of late the back end has been coming around when ive been braking during corner entrance. once i was doin 30, completely locked and tried to come around, i let off and straightened it. second was a sweeper, i was doin 65-70, they locked a lil bit, kinda slid through the corner (it was banked). lil nerve racking, but thats what i get for burning up my rears
Old 05-28-2007, 09:35 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by Kegsbane
My tail comes out in a predictable fashion. Base model FTW.

Glad you're still with us Tubbs.

Hey, thanks. It would suck to be killed by a "safety" feature.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:51 PM
Accordaleer

Can we get some testimony from the car sick dog for further credibility please?
Old 05-29-2007, 04:25 PM
angelzhope720

I can't wait till you get into a situation where you're about to crash your car and VDC saves your ***. VDC is the reason I can make it through rough Chicago winters. I believe VDC is useless in dry weather (unless you're doing 80 on twisty roads), you really start to appreciate it in wet weather.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:25 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 98MODMTR
Man, sounds like I need to "drive" my car sometime. I'd like to see what this VDC has got to offer!
Hey, you may be on to something there.

The "new" VDC - Variable Direction Control. It randomly applies a brake to change direction while unexpectedly altering throttle position so you have no chance to compensate.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:32 PM
angelzhope720

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Hey, you may be on to something there.

The "new" VDC - Variable Direction Control. It randomly applies a brake to change direction while unexpectedly altering throttle position so you have no chance to compensate.

lol wow that was excellent
Old 05-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Accordaleer
Can we get some testimony from the car sick dog for further credibility please?
Think about this scenario... It's a beautiful and sunny day. You plan a short road trip driving a stretch of highway you know well, and can really "drive-it." Your gf agrees to ride along, but wants to take her new puppy. "Sure" you say. A buddy calls and asks if he can follow along behind you on his motorcycle (maybe take some action shots of the Z). "Sure" you say.

The drive is great, and your Z has never looked better. You're hitting turns, down-shifting (sometimes slight braking before the turn) and accelerating perfectly out. All is well.

But then, your gf complains you are driving too fast and she thinks the dog is looking sick. You ignore that and keep driving even faster. It is still looking great, but then the dog gets sick... really sick... and throws up. The smell of bile mixed with semi-digested dog food is awful. And, your gf is really pissed. "No wonder the dog got sick... the way you are driving!" She says. Then she yells at you: "SLOW DOWN!"

And... about this time, you hit a tight turn, and your car "goes crazy." You immediately do corrective manuevers, and save yourself, the car, your gf, and her dog. Your gf is pissed, and your buddy riding behind you on his motorcycle pulls up and gives you the "horse-laugh." Not a good afternoon by any means. You blame this on an electronic component in your car meant to prevent rotation.

My story is just that, a story, and probaby does not accurately describe what happened here. Only Tubbs knows the real story.

--Spike
Old 05-29-2007, 06:22 PM
yellowlady

Default tire size

my car came with 275 30 19 and 245 35 19. this has caused the vdc problem exactly as tubbs described. i can't wait to get some new rear tires in the 35 profile. so what size are your shoes?
Old 05-29-2007, 11:11 PM
alcheng

Hey tubbs, what's the size of your tires??

read this:

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires/203755-will-these-tires-work-with-my-vdc-enabled-car-read-here.html
Old 05-29-2007, 11:36 PM
Tubbs

Think about this scenario... It's a beautiful and sunny day. You plan a short road trip driving a stretch of highway you know well, and can really "drive-it." Your gf agrees to ride along, but wants to take her new puppy. "Sure" you say. A buddy calls and asks if he can follow along behind you on his motorcycle (maybe take some action shots of the Z). "Sure" you say.

The drive is great, and your Z has never looked better. You're hitting turns, down-shifting (sometimes slight braking before the turn) and accelerating perfectly out. All is well.

But then, your gf complains you are driving too fast and she thinks the dog is looking sick. You ignore that and keep driving even faster. It is still looking great, but then the dog gets sick... really sick... and throws up. The smell of bile mixed with semi-digested dog food is awful. And, your gf is really pissed. "No wonder the dog got sick... the way you are driving!" She says. Then she yells at you: "SLOW DOWN!"

And... about this time, you hit a tight turn, and your car "goes crazy." You immediately do corrective manuevers, and save yourself, the car, your gf, and her dog. Your gf is pissed, and your buddy riding behind you on his motorcycle pulls up and gives you the "horse-laugh." Not a good afternoon by any means. You blame this on an electronic component in your car meant to prevent rotation.

My story is just that, a story, and probaby does not accurately describe what happened here. Only Tubbs knows the real story.

--Spike
Nope, not distracted at all. The dog was drugged up, and the girl knows not to talk when I'm driving. Good story though.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:41 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by alcheng
Hey tubbs, what's the size of your tires??

read this:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203755

I'm actually running 245/40/18's all around. Perhaps it believed I was slipping from that, but the square setup hasn't caused probs before. And i've driven it hard before this.

People can say all the great things about VDC they want, but from past experience, if the car starts to go out of control, you either continue pushing gas and drive though it or let up easy on the gas. Smooth operations regardless... no throwing the car off balance. VDC operates by hittting the brakes and cutting the gas. Not cool, and I will no longer be driving with it on.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:43 PM
skaterbasist

so you'd be out money too then
Eh, stop being so overconfident. I can bet my G it that VDC is not to blame.

If anything, it was the road and/or driver that caused the situation.

If you're so confident it was a VDC flaw, take it to the dealer.

Nothing personal, but I wouldn't use VDC as a scapegoat.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:48 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Eh, stop being so overconfident. I can bet my G it that VDC is not to blame.

If anything, it was the road and/or driver that caused the situation.

If you're so confident it was a VDC flaw, take it to the dealer.

Nothing personal, but I wouldn't use VDC as a scapegoat.

I wish I could take you up on that bet. I am completely confident in my driving. Nothing wrong with that. And I could tell you every detail you wanted to know from when it happened. Focus was 100 percent on driving.

Unfortunately VDC was probably working as intended. "OH NOES!!! THE BACK IS STARTING TO SLIDE! BETTER SLAM ON THE BRAKES!!"

Quick Reply: VDC tried to kill me!