Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

New 2007 350Z - A concern and a question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 06:39 AM
Nando61

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2007 350Z - A concern and a question

I bought my new 350Z Enthusiast (~ 100 miles showing when I first drove it) two weeks ago, and so far so good (Nah - it is grrrrreat!!), but I have one concern, about which I don’t believe anything can be done, and one question.

My concern is that when the deal was complete and I was ready to drive the car home, I asked what the break-in procedure was, and the answer from the dealer was, “There is none – just drive the car and enjoy it.” So on the way home I had it up close to 7K RPM on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd one time each. Also, when I initially test drove the car, I must have had it around 5K or 6K once or twice.

Then, when I got home and read the manual, I learned that there indeed is a break in period, and that as opposed to the many new cars I have bought in the past, all of which had a break-in period of 500 miles not to exceed 50 MPH, the 350Z’s is 1200 miles not to exceed 4K RPM!

Needless to say, I am closely observing the 350Z’s procedure now, but what damage may I have done to the engine? And what about other interested parties or lookers who test drove the car previously – remember, it had about 100 miles?

My question has to do with wax and finish protection. I made the ‘mistake’ (not really) of googling for the best wax and protection. Result: I am afraid to do anything now! From the wax vs. the paint sealer, to the synthetic vs. the carnuba, and the zillions of different brands and advices, I am more confused than not.

What I did for now was to give it a light waxing using Meguire’s Quick Wax.

What good options are there for paint protection for a new 350Z?

Thanks!

Nando
Old 06-02-2007, 07:08 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome and congratulations.

a. The break-in period is a recommendation. Its easy to tell if you have abused a new car: there will be a hole in the bottom of the motor and a big puddle of oil.

b. Most likely the paint has been prepared by the dealer. New cars need little or no attention. Plenty of detailing suggestions in the detailing forum.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:15 AM
brooke

The first 30-40 miles is the best time to seat the rings for a proper break in.. I'm saying abuse the car and bouce it off the rev limiter but don't drive like a grandma...
Old 06-02-2007, 07:20 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
Welcome and congratulations.

a. The break-in period is a recommendation. Its easy to tell if you have abused a new car: there will be a hole in the bottom of the motor and a big puddle of oil.

b. Most likely the paint has been prepared by the dealer. New cars need little or no attention. Plenty of detailing suggestions in the detailing forum.
+1 You're car is fine.

About the detailling, many are using the Zaino products with great success.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:22 AM
Karma_Hunden

i say just break it in even though you have already pushed, most probably you didnt do much to the car, but just dont keep doing it until you reach 1200miles.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:13 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just follow manual from here on out. Doubt you did any damage.

Lots of products for wax, etc out there. All will work. Zaino gets the most votes here.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:15 AM
Bevo

I would try to follow the break-in recommendation the best i can.

About detailing, try Zaino, it's pretty good.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Z-T

I had similar concerns re. break-in too. I bought my '07 2 weeks ago. I've been driving it nicely, slowly increasing RPM throughout. At about 1000mi I'll probably start driving it as I normally do (which is like a wuss for the most part anyhow).
I think engines come pre-broken-in these days (meaning they're pretty much ready to go unless you're racing/towing). I don't think you should put it on a track, but I'm sure it's fine.
I use Menzerna products with a lot of success. A good polish, glaze and sealer will do wonders for your Z. Also, look at Griots for cleaning products.
Good luck and have fun!
T.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Ztalker

Originally Posted by Z-T
I think engines come pre-broken-in these days (meaning they're pretty much ready to go unless you're racing/towing). I don't think you should put it on a track, but I'm sure it's fine.
T.
correct me if i'm wrong, i thought bimmers are the only engines broken in from the factory.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:15 PM
Nero

itll be fine, if it has 100 miles on it, then someone MUST have been revving it with all the test drives and what not...just take it easy from now to 1.2k
Old 06-02-2007, 09:41 PM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

The dealer told me to beat it up right out of the lot. He said the break in period is unnecessary and you can't hurt the engine just by running it hard. I figured I'm better off safe than sorry, so I've been keeping it under 4k, ran it up to around 5k once or twice. But then again, the car had 70 miles on it when I bought it, so I'm pretty much sure it's taken some abuse while it was at the dealer...test drives and what not. Just stick to the manual for now, if you're like me and watch the odometer increase it might seem like forever haha. Man I can't wait...about 600 miles to go.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:01 AM
orbitalpunk

i would worry. you shouldn't exceed 3000 rpms and dont drive at a constant speed for too long on the freeway. alternate speeds if you can. like 50 for a couple min then 60 and so forth. make sure your not burning oil by checking your oil levels weekly. if you didnt seat you valves well, then oil will slip in. you still can make it worse so taking it easy now is still advised.

and dont ever buy a car with more then 20 miles on it. i dont do 15 miles myself. bought my 07 with 11. so many dealers said its impossible to find something under 15. there liars. lying is very natural to dealers. they dont even think twice about it. next time you buy a car, look up nissan or whatever in google maps and call everyone down the list till you find what you want. drive 50 miles if you have to. one test drive can **** it up. its sports car. everyone is gonna floor it at every chance. dont except that. if your gonna pay new, then get new. im not gonna buy a camera new when someone opened it and took it to the park to take some shots and put it back in the box. would you? Hell NO!
Old 06-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Nando61

Originally Posted by orbitalpunk
... dont ever buy a car with more then 20 miles on it....
Actually, I agree. Looking back at the 11 brand new cars I have purchased in the past, all except for the last two were 'ordered', so when I accepted them they had but a hand full of miles on them. The last two were the TransAm five years ago, and now the 350Z. The T/A turned out well - absolutely no engine problems. I'll keep my fingers crossed with the 350Z; and yes, I am following the breaking-in procedure to the letter. And will check the oil as well.

Thanks!

Nando
Old 06-04-2007, 09:49 AM
tourinz

the problem is the all the dealerships fuel the cars w/ the cheapest gas possible, so either get an octane booster and put it in on the first tank or wait till the first gas tank is empty to WOT... I waited the 1200 miles on my 07 to open it up.....
Old 06-04-2007, 10:21 AM
z-u-later

Drive it like you stole it . . .
Old 06-04-2007, 10:37 AM
quiksilver149

Originally Posted by tourinz
the problem is the all the dealerships fuel the cars w/ the cheapest gas possible, so either get an octane booster and put it in on the first tank or wait till the first gas tank is empty to WOT... I waited the 1200 miles on my 07 to open it up.....
not necessarily true i worked for a Dodge dealership a few years back and they always used premium, and a few buddies of mine have told me the same thing with the Acura dealer i bought my CL-S from.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:28 PM
SargentZ

Originally Posted by tourinz

do not put 'octane booster' in the Z... says so right in the manual.

Reading the manual is the first thing you should do.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:31 PM
SargentZ

one more tip, wait to fill out the 'dealer satisfaction' form. That way they will be more inclined to help you post-purchase. Also, if you didn't like that he lied to you about the breakin, you can tear him a new one on the form. They don't like that, trust me. hah
Old 06-04-2007, 01:19 PM
I1DER

Best advice to new car owners is "read the manual". There are car sales people that know less about the Zs than new customers after 1 hour. There are posters that tell you to do things that Nissan explicitly says don't do. Of course not "all" dealerships use the cheapest gas, but someone that says that is still pointing out something to be on the look-out for. A buyer or new owner ultimately has the responsibility to sift through all the opinions, some worth more than others, and be responsible for their own decisions.

Hint: salespeople usually aren't service people and opinions that use words like always, never, all and none are usually from those that haven't taken the time to verify their prejudices, which we all have and which came from someplace.

The cars don't break or get ruined easily. The fact that you are worried shows that you are more likely to worry too much rather than too little.

Quick Reply: New 2007 350Z - A concern and a question