Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

19,750 miles and radiator cracks

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 11:35 PM
dfdub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 19,750 miles and radiator cracks

Actually, it was the condenser that cracked. I came out to the garage and saw my poor Z bleeding antifreeze all over the floor. Well under factory warranty, I decide to call the local nissan dealership. Long story short... my car is fixed, but THE TOW TRUCK GUY scratched hell out of my front bumper.

Of course they will look at it and tell me it is hardly noticeable, happens all the time when towing low vehicles, blah blah, etc...

anyone ever run into a similar situation before? Im dealing with Urban Nissan of Duncanville just in case anyone is wondering.

my mad/sad face =
Old 06-08-2007, 07:54 AM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) There is no antifreeze in the condensor. Anti freeze ("coolant") flows through the radiator. Refrigerant flows through the condensor.

2) If you have a problem with the dealership/service department/towing service, you need to adress that problem to them.

bill
Old 06-08-2007, 07:58 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL Bill doesnt want to hear your problems!!
Old 06-08-2007, 09:02 AM
bailey bill

Originally Posted by Alberto
LOL Bill doesnt want to hear your problems!!
It doesn't have anything to do with "wanting to hear about it".

Regardless of how many people hear about it on a message board, if he he wants if fixed, the people that must hear about it is the dealership/service department/tow company.

bill
Old 06-15-2007, 07:55 PM
dfdub

I contacted the dealership to let them know. She told me she would 'call me right back'. Well I am in the middle of moving to Houston to start my new job and about 1 week later... she finally calls. I have the name and number of the tow service but I doubt I will have the time to drive my car back to dallas for them to see it. Oh well. It looks like I will be living with this one.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:01 PM
pearl07

This is my first post, so HI everyone.

We just bought our first Z at Urban, and I have to say, I hated every minute of it. The guys there are such dicks. Especially our salesman. We only bought it there, because a friend of my wife is good friends with the GM. I hope it all works out for you.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Many of the newer A/C systems use a floresent Green Dye for leak detection----Havent a clue as to what the deal is here, But it looks very much like Coolant
Old 06-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Eazzy

So we have learned something here today and didnt have to involve the Dealer
Old 06-16-2007, 02:40 PM
bailey bill

Originally Posted by Eazzzzzzy
So we have learned something here today and didnt have to involve the Dealer
OK, I give up. What is it that we have learned?

bill
Old 06-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Eazzy

Originally Posted by bailey bill
OK, I give up. What is it that we have learned?

bill
That if you crack your condenser, you will have a Green Liquid (Dye, mixed with oil) that looks identical to Green Antifreeze to a untrained Eye.

I was not standing in this mans Garage when he spied the green liquid on the floor, so I can only offer an explaination to the possibility to an alternative.

And the sharing of a bit of knowledge to others that may find the same perlexing puddle on THEIR garage floor
Old 06-16-2007, 02:51 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill, having a bad day? You seem more grumpy than usual.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:54 PM
Eazzy

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
Bill, having a bad day? You seem more grumpy than usual.
Took the words out of my mouth....was thinking maybe the word "Dealer" pushed a button
Old 06-16-2007, 04:38 PM
bailey bill

Any liquid in the A/C system must share the same pressure/temperature curve as the refrigerant. The compressor can only handle gas, not liquid.And at atmopspheric pressure, 134A boils (becomes a gas) at 15F below zero. So unles its colder than -15F where your at, I guarantee you tht you will never see any liquid discharged from any A/C or refrigeration system.

"R-134a TETRAFLUOROETHANE (CH2 FCF3 ) R-134a, tetrafluoroethane, is very similar to R-12, the major difference is that R-134a has no harmful influence on the ozone layer of the earth's atmosphere and is a replacement for R-12 applications. Noncorrosive, nonflammable, and nontoxic, it has a boiling point of -15°F at atmospheric pressure. Used for medium-temperature applications, such as air conditioning and commercial refrigeration, this refrigerant is now used in automobile air-conditioners."

http://www.free-ed.net/sweethaven/Me...Num=4&modNum=1

Perhaps you can find a website that will describe this magic green liquid and post the link?

BTW, I have been a state licensed HVAC engineer for over 20 years.

bill
Old 06-16-2007, 04:51 PM
bailey bill

BTW, the original poster makes no claim that he has a refrigerant (or "green dye") leak.

Actually, it was the condenser that cracked. I came out to the garage and saw my poor Z bleeding antifreeze all over the floor.
And my response was:

There is no antifreeze in the condensor. Anti freeze ("coolant") flows through the radiator. Refrigerant flows through the condensor.
And like I said, unless its colder than -15F, there ain't gonna be any puddle of refrigerant (or dye) on the floor.

bill
Old 06-16-2007, 04:55 PM
Eazzy

Any liquid in the A/C system must share the same pressure/temperature curve as the refrigerant. The compressor can only handle gas, not liquid.And at atmopspheric pressure, 134A boils (becomes a gas) at 15F below zero. So unles its colder than -15F where your at, I guarantee you tht you will never see any liquid discharged from any A/C or refrigeration system.

"R-134a TETRAFLUOROETHANE (CH2 FCF3 ) R-134a, tetrafluoroethane, is very similar to R-12, the major difference is that R-134a has no harmful influence on the ozone layer of the earth's atmosphere and is a replacement for R-12 applications. Noncorrosive, nonflammable, and nontoxic, it has a boiling point of -15°F at atmospheric pressure. Used for medium-temperature applications, such as air conditioning and commercial refrigeration, this refrigerant is now used in automobile air-conditioners."

http://www.free-ed.net/sweethaven/Me...Num=4&modNum=1

Perhaps you can find a website that will describe this magic green liquid and post the link?

BTW, I have been a state licensed HVAC engineer for over 20 years.

bill
For Christ Sakes Bill, I dont make this stuff up !!! Oil is added to the refrigerant to lubricate the Compressor, In the case of 134, a synthetic base. Also added, NOW DAYS,is a floresent Green Dye that shows up under a Blacklight to help find leaks and keep the wicked Ozone depleating freon out of our atmophere
It settles in the condensor,Drier,Accumulator,compressor when the A/c is at rest ----Nighty Night time. If you replace or flush the condensor you add X amount of oil, same with the Comp and the Drier.
If you blow a line, your engine will look like a LSD trip from the 60s under a black light-----It sprays all over. If it sprays, it can leak and if it leaks, it can leave a puddle.
And if its green,which it is, it can be mistaken for antifreeze
Old 06-16-2007, 05:02 PM
Eazzy

If I havent touched it, held it, or smelled it, I dont comment on it . I dont repeat what IV read or what my Neighbor said or what my Daddy told me. I dont trust any of the sources. Daddy was an idiot anyways
Old 06-16-2007, 05:54 PM
bailey bill

. Also added, NOW DAYS,is a floresent Green Dye that shows up under a Blacklight to help find leaks and keep the wicked Ozone depleating freon out of our atmophere
e
I guess I missed the part where he said he used a black light to see the antifreeze.

And BTW 134A is NOT an ODP. That's why it's been the standard automotive refigerant since '94. It replaced R12, which WAS an ODP.

But I guess the original poster just needs to set us straight. Did he observe antifreeze from the radiator, or refirgerant from the condensor?

The only thing we know for certain is he did NOT see antifreeze discharged from teh condensor, which was all I said to begin with.

bill
Old 06-16-2007, 07:19 PM
Eazzy

I guess I missed the part where he said he used a black light to see the antifreeze.

And BTW 134A is NOT an ODP. That's why it's been the standard automotive refigerant since '94. It replaced R12, which WAS an ODP.

But I guess the original poster just needs to set us straight. Did he observe antifreeze from the radiator, or refirgerant from the condensor?

The only thing we know for certain is he did NOT see antifreeze discharged from teh condensor, which was all I said to begin with.

bill
You missed nothing and he was a guy , like most guys, that didnt have a clue as to what he saw, other than the fact it was green but was told he had a busted condenser. Then a grouch came on the scene and yelled at him because "antifreeze is green and could only come from a radiator"

Then a patient fatherly figure came on the scene and explained that, infact a green substance could have come from the Condenser. ( Green leak detecting dye mixed with oil)

Then the Grouch scared the OP to the point of uncontroled tears.

Then the patient fatherly, Saint like figure threw up his arms and poured a tall Scotch on the Rocks

Last edited by Eazzy; 06-16-2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Eazzy

And like I said, unless its colder than -15F, there ain't gonna be any puddle of refrigerant (or dye) on the floor.

bill
And NO, there will not be any refrigerant, It is a gas as you well know. But there WILL be a puddle of oil with green dye in it on the floor that looks like antifreeze.

Poor kid will never celibrate St Patricks day again......he will go kicking and screaming at the site of Green after the trauma of this Thread
Old 06-17-2007, 04:04 AM
bailey bill

You missed nothing and he was a guy , like most guys, that didnt have a clue as to what he saw, other than the fact it was green but was told he had a busted condenser. Then a grouch came on the scene and yelled at him because "antifreeze is green and could only come from a radiator"

Then a patient fatherly figure came on the scene and explained that, infact a green substance could have come from the Condenser. ( Green leak detecting dye mixed with oil)

Then the Grouch scared the OP to the point of uncontroled tears.

Then the patient fatherly, Saint like figure threw up his arms and poured a tall Scotch on the Rocks
Overly sensitive people should avoid message boards.

And Happy Father's Day, you patient, fatherly, saint-like figure.

bill

Quick Reply: 19,750 miles and radiator cracks