Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Possible Z buyer. My story and the deal........

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 12:33 AM
Teufel
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible Z buyer. My story and the deal........

Moved from New Owners. Don't own...yet

Hi everyone! Possible new Z owner in the ranks.

Ok sorry, let me do a proper introduction as I think I'll be here a lot in the near future. Raised in a one bedroom house on a farm by my recently divorced mom. Money was SCARCE! My mom woke up at 4AM to start boiling water for my brother and I to take baths before school. Until I was about 18 years old I DREAMED of buying a used Tacoma. I loved cars and read all about the different models, but everything seemed so far out of reach. The Tacoma might as well have been priced the same as a Ferrari as far I was concerned. After 10+ years with her company, my mom made her way through the ranks to eventually be head of benefits (forget actual title).

When I turned 18, my grandfather died and I was handed down his 1993 Buick Century. A car that ran? I'M IN!!!!!!!!! Well "run" is used very loosely. About the same time, my mom married the man she had dated for 5-6 years and my family moved off to S. America and I stayed here basically living out of my Buick and bouncing around from friend house to friends house before college. College paid for by scholarships, grants from the Federal Gov and student loans.

Buick ran on and off and became RIDICULOUSLY expensive to maintain. One thing after another. $1500 for a transmission while make $7/hr. Not fun. Then dieing in the MIDDLE of one of busiest intersections in the Valley DURING my first date with this blonde bombshell. Finally, the thing just basically gave up.....

One day my folks were in town and sized up my situation. They mentioned they'd like to have a car here in the states for when they visit. They called from the dealership and told me to come over. Well, my then g/f took me to the dealership and introduced me to my second love. A 2003 Double Cab TRD Tacoma. I teared up just driving it. They said I could drive it while they were gone as long as I took care of it and did all the maintenance. I literally almost died. I got out of bed literally 5 times a night to check on it for about a month. It was my new baby.

After a short time, I asked if I could buy the car. I gave them a HUGE "IOU."

Fast forward...... I graduated from Business School and landed a good job. Paid the truck off in year and a half and bought a house with my now fiance. When the folks moved back, they bought two cars.... One of which was the 350Z. A GORGEOUS 2005 350Z 35th Ann. Ed. Silver Stone. I couldn't believe she got that car. I was so nervous just driving it. WOW!!! Such a cool car. I couldn't believe it.

My roommate in college owned an older 300ZX and then his parents bought him a 2003 350Z Track for graduation. Needless to say he drove EVERYWHERE when we went out drinking. Bad *** car.

Thanks for reading this far, hopefully not too boring

CURRENT DILEMMA!

My now Fiance's 1997 Camry is asking for too much maintenance for the worth of the car. She needs something different. With a 180K miles and the weather in Phoenix. I will not stand by and let her get stranded in 115 degree weather. We also live near a dangerous part of the city.

Parents just bought a MB SL550 (no words can describe) and they are selling their 350Z 35th Ann. Ed. RevUp Transmission with <21,000 miles. They can probably get more, but they said I should buy it for $22,000. Garage kept and driven by an older woman. The car is immaculate.

From the sound of it, may not be a GREAT deal, but still not bad.

What do you guys think?

Any additional info about the car. I keep reading 287hp on one site and 300hp on another. It is the Ann. Ed., but I can't tell figure out the hp for the RevUp trans.

I am going to give my fiance the Tacoma. I LOVE THAT CAR, but I want my fiance to have a reliable car. It's about as babied a car as I have ever seen. I'm going to miss it.

From my past, you can understand my desire to have a reliable car. Any issues make me nervous. Especially with the Tacoma being bulletproof.

Any really $$$ maintenance?

Thanks for having me! Look forward to any and all responses.

Last edited by Teufel; 06-08-2007 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Better title
Old 06-08-2007, 01:02 AM
Elohite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno, but thats a hell of a life story summary.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:33 AM
michaeljr6

wow.......................................

i can summarize all of that in a sentence but more power to ya and to answer your question...the price they're asking is really fair and that year of the Z is prob one of the best years imo. if it's a manual i'd jump on it. stay away from the 2003 and 2006 that is all i will say. you seem to be a bright person with a lot of things to say i've yet to encounter a post with such a long background of car/ life history like your lol
goodluck and enjoy the fierce power of the Z once you get it.

ps the maintence isn't bad at all moneywise since you could come here and read the DIY. you'll interact with your car while learning more about your car. enjoy your stay at my350Z

Last edited by michaeljr6; 06-08-2007 at 01:35 AM.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:16 AM
SpeedRcr

was there a point to the autobiography to get to the sale of the car part of the story??? did you go to business school at UNT???
Old 06-08-2007, 04:22 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You left out kindergarten, and how much you enjoyed playing with cars.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:22 AM
z-u-later

We don't care about your life story or whatever car/truck you've driven in the past. You're nothing in this forum unless you actually own a Z. However, we do have one requirement before being accepted in this forum:

of your GF
Old 06-08-2007, 07:04 AM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

a 35th for $22k, if its manual, jump on that
Old 06-08-2007, 07:47 AM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Surely a guy that was raised by a single mom in abject poverty, without running water, and was able put himself through college while living in a '93 Buick, and went on to a successful career, really doesn't need to consult a message board about buying a used car!?

bill
Old 06-08-2007, 08:24 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

To answer your question, Zs are generally quite low in maintenance costs. I doubt I've spent over 500 bucks in 4 years & I've maintained it by the book.

The one exception is tires: about $800-$1000 installed with tires lasting around 25,000 miles under "normal" driving conditions.

Sounds like you've earned that Z if it is what gets your blood pumping!
Old 06-08-2007, 10:09 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 208 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv

+1
Old 06-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Teufel
Banned

Originally Posted by davidv

Trade the toy car for a Silver Stone Z and add a 6'0 200lbs white guy with a beard. Same exact face though hahaha
Old 06-08-2007, 10:35 AM
Teufel
Banned

Originally Posted by z-u-later
We don't care about your life story or whatever car/truck you've driven in the past. You're nothing in this forum unless you actually own a Z. However, we do have one requirement before being accepted in this forum:

of your GF
My g/f is 124lbs 5'7 blonde blue eyed bombshell. She looks even better in the Z I think.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:36 AM
Teufel
Banned

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
To answer your question, Zs are generally quite low in maintenance costs. I doubt I've spent over 500 bucks in 4 years & I've maintained it by the book.

The one exception is tires: about $800-$1000 installed with tires lasting around 25,000 miles under "normal" driving conditions.

Sounds like you've earned that Z if it is what gets your blood pumping!
Thanks . That's great news. I'll let you guys know if I take the plunge after driving it around for a while.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:57 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Okay but now we have to see pix of the blond bombshell!!

By the way, my blued eyed blond bombshell was the same height/weight as yours when I married her 33 years ago.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:10 AM
davidv

Question

How is the shopping coming along?
Old 07-08-2007, 07:03 AM
groove269

Where the pics of your "bombshell"? Unless it was all BS!
Old 07-08-2007, 07:11 AM
Morningglorie

I enjoyed your story, you're a good writer.

Please, buy the Z and give it to your g/f. As noted, she would look great in it and I'm sure would much rather be driving a Z than a truck.

Keep the truck for yourself, since it's really your first love.

Marry your girlfriend and if you're lucky, she'll let you drive the Z from time to time. All problems solved happily!! ;-)
Old 08-22-2007, 05:27 AM
davidv

Originally Posted by groove269
Where the pics of your "bombshell"? Unless it was all BS!
The same place as the photos of the 350Z.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:01 AM
Villa67

Wow... I almost with the first part of the story. Regarding giving the Z to you g/f I would recommend to marry her first and then give her the Z as a "Wedding Gift" (that way you still "own" the Z)
Old 08-22-2007, 01:51 PM
zkicker

That was an epic, not a post.

But hey, when I was a kid we couldn't afford ham for our ham and beans. Then I grew up, bought a Z and lived happily ever after. The end.

Quick Reply: Possible Z buyer. My story and the deal........