Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Reliability _and_ performance ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 09:04 AM
jisidoro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliability _and_ performance ??

Theres definitely a lot of talk about performance figures.. e.g. 0-60.. There definitely seems to a few cars quicker than the 350Z.. But, is there one that is quicker _and_ would be considered to be more reliable?? I can't seem to think of any off the top of my head. Its really tough to beat a normally asperated Japanese car (at least ones from Nissan/Honda/Toyota/Subaru/Mazda ) in terms of reliability.

Can you think of an example??

Old 07-30-2002, 09:11 AM
NissaNZ

Yeah, Skyline GT-R
Old 07-30-2002, 11:20 AM
john0213

i do remember it's out of the price range
Old 07-30-2002, 06:22 PM
rai

Default Re: Reliability _and_ performance ??

Originally posted by jisidoro
Can you think of an example??

There is a little known car called the acura NSX.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:12 PM
NissaNZ

Default Re: Re: Reliability _and_ performance ??

Originally posted by rai

There is a little known car called the acura NSX.
Yes it's little known since it gets its *** chewed out by the Skyline GT-R.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:28 PM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

How can we compare anything to being as reliable as the new 350Z without having reliability data on the 350Z? Seems kind of hard to do since it hasn't been released yet, actually it's IMPOSSIBLE to do. And don't try to argue the 3.5L VQ motor in this or that because that has nothing on the 287hp motor or the new chassis/body 350Z. In 5 years lets have this conversation, until then it's only worthless speculation.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:23 PM
NissaNZ

Originally posted by LS350Z
How can we compare anything to being as reliable as the new 350Z without having reliability data on the 350Z? Seems kind of hard to do since it hasn't been released yet, actually it's IMPOSSIBLE to do. And don't try to argue the 3.5L VQ motor in this or that because that has nothing on the 287hp motor or the new chassis/body 350Z. In 5 years lets have this conversation, until then it's only worthless speculation.
You answered your own question, it's going to be very reliable since you're starting with an already proven formula the VQ35, I agree that this is a higher output version which is a first but it should fair well since the engine was designed to handle in excess of 450hp.
Old 07-31-2002, 12:59 AM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

Reliability is more then just the motor. You've got the new chassis, new body, new interior, a whole new car. Sure it shares some of the same motor design as other 3.5L VQ motors but that arguement alone is bogus.

An example. 1999-2000 Honda Civics came with a B16A2 motor, 1.6L DOHC VTEC. This motor has been around since early B16 motors in Japan in 1988 on up. Supposely a reliable motor and tranny combo. Key word, supposely. Honda has had the bigger brother B18s in Acura Integra GSRs since 1994 and even the bigger brother B18C5 in the Integra Type Rs, both here and overseas.

Now to my point. The supposed great B series motor/trannies in the 99-00 Civic Sis has several problems that are known. 1. Bad syncros. 2. Very bad AC compressors. 3. **** poor waterpumps , and 4. **** poor ignitions (especially the coils and ignitors).

Now how again are you going to argue that the 3.5L VQ motor has proven it's reliablity enough to show the 3.5L motor in the 350Z is reliable? You can't. Like I said, in 5 years lets talk, until then you can only speculate.
Old 07-31-2002, 01:22 AM
jisidoro

I'm gauging of reliability based on a companies past track record
for similar cars.

NSX, didn't think about that one.. Certainly seems to satisfy the constraints. Its a lot of money for only a little extra
performance.

I'm not sure about the skyline being more reliable given the fact that it's a turbocharged engine. Almost any N/A Nissan will do 200k miles with proper maintenance. I was under the impression turbochargers in general won't last for 200k miles due to the high heat and rotational speeds. I could be wrong though.

Can anyone think of any others faster _and_ more reliable??

John
Old 07-31-2002, 01:25 AM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Originally posted by LS350Z
Like I said, in 5 years lets talk, until then you can only speculate.
We certainly CAN'T have any speculation here, I mean NOONE has EVER speculated here. We don't need to, not with the wealth of info we get from Nissan. (Please read the previous in a sarcastic voice.) Think we'd have a pretty dry web-site, if noone ever speculated here.
Old 07-31-2002, 03:13 AM
Boomer

Default reliability and performance

Originally posted by jisidoro
I'm gauging of reliability based on a companies past track record
for similar cars.

NSX, didn't think about that one.. Certainly seems to satisfy the constraints. Its a lot of money for only a little extra
performance.

I'm not sure about the skyline being more reliable given the fact that it's a turbocharged engine. Almost any N/A Nissan will do 200k miles with proper maintenance. I was under the impression turbochargers in general won't last for 200k miles due to the high heat and rotational speeds. I could be wrong though.

Can anyone think of any others faster _and_ more reliable??

John
Not faster, but very reliable. My 91 MR2 Turbo had 128,000 miles on it and the service manager at Toyota dealership told me the drivetrain, including the turbo, would last for 200,000 miles due to how well I took care of it. I never failed to allow the turbo to idle down after I drove it, even for in-town driving. Traded with the original turbo in situ, without a turbo timer or other addons, and took it to redline every day in one gear or another. Used a quart of Mobile 1 every 800-1000 miles; probably would have not used as much if I had babied it. I didn't buy it to baby, but to perform at high revs. The Acura Service Manager next door, same company, bought it the same day I traded it for the Accord.

Boomer--tough car, and damn quick on roll-on starts. Surprised a lot of 6s and 8s, especially F-bodies. Our man in Dallas with the clean white MR2T, w/bodykit, probably has some tales to tell.
BR/FR/AT

Last edited by Boomer; 07-31-2002 at 03:39 AM.
Old 07-31-2002, 03:42 AM
rouxeny

Haven't heard "in situ" used much in terms of cars, but I guess it still applies.
Old 07-31-2002, 08:15 AM
Boomer

Default R&E

Originally posted by rouxeny
Haven't heard "in situ" used much in terms of cars, but I guess it still applies.
Just Boomer babble.