Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Quick question about "rev-matching" and wearing on the clutch.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 10:37 AM
fr0ng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Korki Buchek
Up = double-clutch
down = rev match.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:10 AM
RedVisineX

What about engine braking? I take it that hurts the car?
Old 06-17-2007, 03:41 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by bailey bill
Amazing!!!

I've been drving manual trannies for over 50 years, and I never know it was so complicated.

And I never knew clutches and trannies were so fragile. I have abused both pretty badly at times, (showing off, racing, pulling trailers, etc) so I can't understand why I have never broken or worn out either one.

bill
You understand. I have less experience (45 years in my case). I know exactly what you are describing. The "kids" here have no idea.

--Spike
Old 06-17-2007, 05:36 PM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike100
You understand. I have less experience (45 years in my case). I know exactly what you are describing. The "kids" here have no idea.

--Spike
Years ago, when "everyone" drove manual trannys, no-one fretted about "how" to do it. Our school Driver's Ed car was a 3 on the tree.

But now manual trannys are somewhat unique, so those who drive them want to believe its a very complex task, with lots of rules and special techniques, that only the most skilled drivers can master.

But the procedure hasn't changed.

1) Step on the clutch
2) Select the gear
3) Release the clutch

bill
Old 06-17-2007, 06:11 PM
BabyZiLLa

Christ what a bunch of BS.

1.) Engine braking DOES not hurt your car. Does reving your car from 0-5,000 hurt it? No. So why would dropping your rpms from 5,000-0 hurt it. Use your brain.

2.) Double clutch all you want. If anyone can find me ONE in car race showing the driver double clutching I MIGHT believe your not an idiot.

3.) Rev matching is how its SUPPOSE to be done. You've got two thing spinning. The Engine and the drive shaft. Common sense says if your going to engage the two to become one you want them spinning at the same speed. If not one will have to adjust QUICKLY.

So how the f**k would rev matching hurt it?
Old 06-17-2007, 06:44 PM
Korki Buchek

Christ [Needs a comma or an exclamation point] what a bunch of BS. [B.S.]

1.) Engine braking DOES not hurt your car. [Why emphasize "does" but not "not?" That does NOT make any sense.] Does reving [Revving, not reving] your car from 0-5,000 hurt it? No. So why would dropping your rpms from 5,000-0 hurt it. [Usually questions end in a question mark, even if they are "rhetorical"] Use your brain. [Consider an exclamation point]

2.) Double clutch all you want. If anyone can find me ONE [One what?] in car race showing the driver double clutching [Needs a comma.] I MIGHT believe your not an idiot. [You're, not your. And you were doing so well before]

3.) Rev matching is how its SUPPOSE to be done. [Supposed, not suppose.] You've got two thing spinning. The Engine and the drive shaft. [Fragment, consider revision.] Common sense says [The comma is your friend.] if your [You're. YOU'RE!] going to engage the two to become one [Again with the comma.] you want them spinning at the same speed. If not [My kingdom for a comma.] one will have to adjust QUICKLY. [Why emphasize "quickly?"]

So [The last of the missing commas.] how the f**k would rev matching hurt it?

[If you're going to call names, especially names like idiot, you should have a minimum grasp of English. Thank you for your kind words.]
Old 06-17-2007, 07:17 PM
Kolia

1.) Engine braking DOES not hurt your car. [Why emphasize "does" but not "not?" That does NOT make any sense.] Does reving [Revving, not reving] your car from 0-5,000 hurt it? No. So why would dropping your rpms from 5,000-0 hurt it. [Usually questions end in a question mark, even if they are "rhetorical"] Use your brain. [Consider an exclamation point]

2.) Double clutch all you want. If anyone can find me ONE [One what?] in car race showing the driver double clutching [Needs a comma.] I MIGHT believe your not an idiot. [You're, not your. And you were doing so well before]

3.) Rev matching is how its SUPPOSE to be done. [Supposed, not suppose.] You've got two thing spinning. The Engine and the drive shaft. [Fragment, consider revision.] Common sense says [The comma is your friend.] if your [You're. YOU'RE!] going to engage the two to become one [Again with the comma.] you want them spinning at the same speed. If not [My kingdom for a comma.] one will have to adjust QUICKLY. [Why emphasize "quickly?"]

[If you're going to call names, especially names like idiot, you should have a minimum grasp of English. Thank you for your kind words.]
Someone is running out of technical arguments and turning to spellcheck for salvation!

I do agree that BabyZiLLa post was rather lame in its formulation. It's a kids thing I think... Leave be
Old 06-17-2007, 07:20 PM
Kolia

Originally Posted by RedVisineX
What about engine braking? I take it that hurts the car?
Engine braking doesn't hurt the car as long as you don't over rev the engine with an early downshift.

Engine braking might burn more oil thought. Piston oil rings rely on combustion pressure to seal properly. So while engine braking, more oil is left in the cylinder, sloshing around and waiting for the moment you hit the gas to burn and be expelled. No biggies really.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:58 PM
BabyZiLLa

Are you ****in kidding me? Not one argument towards anything relevant.. Just pulling apart gramma and punctuation..

Its a car forum.. You obviouslly know nothing about cars so you turned to English?

Originally Posted by Kolia
Someone is running out of technical arguments and turning to spellcheck for salvation!

I do agree that BabyZiLLa post was rather lame in its formulation. It's a kids thing I think... Leave be
Now im a "kid" cause i missed a few commas? Very witty..

Last edited by BabyZiLLa; 06-17-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:23 PM
Korki Buchek

A) Grammar with an R, grammar.

B) There was not an "argument" in any of your post. You made a few virtually unsupported conclusions relying on "common sense," barnyard physics and name calling. If you offered something in the way of support for anything you said, I could try to make a legitimate response. But the only thing you gave me to work with was some assertions with ****ty punctuation. So, that's what I responded with.

C) I obviously know nothing about cars. You're right, I'm not a mechanic or an engineer. Maybe you could enlighten us. Are you seriously claiming that there is no difference between increasing engine speed from idle to 5,000 RPM in normal driving and dropping from a higher gear so that the engine speed jumps to 5,000 RPM in less than a second? There is no more wear and tear on the engine and drivetrain? This is acceptable for your transmission?

D) I still find it funny that a person who cannot spell, punctuate, or use emphasis correctly would be calling others idiot.

Korki B [Get your prose game up]
Old 06-18-2007, 03:05 AM
Kolia

Originally Posted by BabyZiLLa
Now im a "kid" cause i missed a few commas? Very witty..
Nah, no need to go as far as counting commas to figure that one out. The low in-content, aggressive outburst is enough to see that.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:37 AM
BabyZiLLa

I wont waste my time.

Everyones such a big shot on the internet..
Old 06-18-2007, 06:47 AM
Korki Buchek

Some of us are big shots in real life, too. What percentage is you?
Old 06-18-2007, 06:51 AM
BabyZiLLa

Some of us are big shots in real life, too. What percentage is you?
What percentage ARE you. Nice English from the self proclaimed "big shot".
Old 06-18-2007, 07:22 AM
Kolia

This is getting even more entertaining! Aha!
Old 06-18-2007, 02:30 PM
Korki Buchek

Direct quote/pop culture reference. Thanks for playing.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:03 PM
Spike100

I've read this thread a couple times, and I would rate this one as having the most misinformation, misunderstandings, and ridiculous advice of any thread posted to the Forum.

The term "double-clutching " is not relevant to this discussion since the Z has synchromesh on every forward gear. bailey bill and I had to do this procedure (double-clutching) on cars and trucks we had back in the 1950's and 60's because some the cars we drove in that period had a three speed column-mounted transmission with no synchromesh on first gear; and trucks in the period often had no synchromesh at all (e.g., the 1950's series Dodge PowerWagon did not have synchromesh on any gear, and required rev-matching on both upshifts and downshifts).

Since the Z has synchromesh on every forward gear, you never need to anything except push in the clutch pedal, select a gear (shift), and release the clutch pedal. Upshifting is just that simple, and does not require any attempt to match engine speed to gear speed (i.e., "rev-matching"). When downshifting, it is probably a good practice to match engine speed to gear speed. You do this by "blipping" the throttle (increasing the engine speed to match the higher gear speed when selecting a lower gear). "Blipping" the throttle ("rev-matching") while downshifting has some advantages:

1) Reduces wear on the clutch
2) Reduces stresses on the transmission and engine
3) Sounds cool
4) Provides a smooth transition (no jerking) when going from higher gears to lower gears

And of course, downshifting keeps you in the correct range for optimum torque when pulling out of turns and regaining speed.

I realize that all of what I say above is mostly a repetition of individual messages posted on this thread. In fact, I am mostly paraphrasing what BabyZilla said in his message (the message that Korki corrected grammar and spelling errors). I only wanted to put the information into a single coherent message, which I think this thread deserves. I'm not an expert here, so I welcome any additional comments.

--Spike
Old 06-18-2007, 06:09 PM
spf4000

It's worth noting that most of the misinformation came from the grammar-****.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:17 PM
Spike100

^^ But... It was clever and entertaining... good reading and good humor... probably the best message on the entire thread. I think Korki posted this "in good fun," and he did not mean it to be "mean."

--Spike
Old 06-18-2007, 07:12 PM
BabyZiLLa

Originally Posted by Spike100
^^ But... It was clever and entertaining... good reading and good humor... probably the best message on the entire thread. I think Korki posted this "in good fun," and he did not mean it to be "mean."

--Spike
Fun. Playfull.. Call it what you will.. I call it one misinformed soul that should stick a pipe in it..

Quick Reply: Quick question about "rev-matching" and wearing on the clutch.