Old 06-18-2007, 05:32 PM
LouiZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the Z is a beast going to redline i cant believe u've never done it before
Old 06-18-2007, 06:07 PM
BabyZiLLa

Its Japanese. There Rev Happy.

Hell my RB26 Reved to 9000 and that thing bounced all day long..

*Off Topic* man i miss my screamer 9000 redline
Old 06-18-2007, 06:11 PM
Mid117

sell the Z and buy a toyota prius...you won't have to redline that to bring out the full potential.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:55 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So ? Are well all relining our babies now ?
Old 06-18-2007, 07:28 PM
StewartZ

Originally Posted by ickysz
The time that I've had my Z so far, I've never redlined it, the Miata I had before the Z ... that's a different story, I would redline that thing almost everyday (stupid I know), the car heald up & ran great even past 120K miles, but I get this feeling if I redline my Z to see just how fast she is, I'de end up regreting it.... just feels like it would blow up, I pushed my car a few times & It's always felt that I get more power & torque when I dont run up to peak high rpm's before shifting.. anyone have input on this? I have my rpm's set on 4900, that's the highest I'll go.. just to be safe.

Oh & is it normal when downshifting to rev the engine a little as I put it in a lower gear? No idea why I do this, no one told me to do it.. just seems like it's less stress on the engine

Dude how can you feel comfortable to redline a piece of sh*t mazda but not a true sports car.. come on dude
Old 06-19-2007, 02:37 AM
Kolia

Originally Posted by StewartZ
Dude how can you feel comfortable to redline a piece of sh*t mazda but not a true sports car.. come on dude
You shold drive a Miata one day. You might be surprised at what they can do...
Old 06-19-2007, 05:08 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jtabraham
Um, the Revs are limited. Otherwise, the thread title would have been "how many of you have hit the 'car-jerker' or 'automatic-gear-up-shifter'"

Seriously though, you engine speed is just electronically limited, so instead of hovering around red-line, once you hit the rev-limiter point, it brings it back down to 4k RPMS or so.
WTF I can tell you know what your talking about, once you hit limiter WOT, you can bounce the car at redline all day. It wont kick you down to 4000 or even 5000rpm's that just silly.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:15 AM
ickysz

I use to race my Miata a least once a day because everytime I would go out, someone would taunt me, so I'de have to show them up, This might sound a lil rice but.. I beat a Mazda 6, honda civic,RSX & a lot more, I did get my *** handed to me though by a lot of cars... In first gear a Miata can jump ahead of most street cars, the torque in first gear is awesome & the handling was amazing. Car was to small though, a 2000, had a "ractive" dual fart can lookin thing, graphics all down the sides (till I took them off).. That car could take a fukcing beating. BTW- I do remember racing a 350z once... and it whooped my *** after we hit second . Heres a few pics of the car, and then the death of her...
Had a wreck in birmingham, woman slammed her brakes at a greenlight, I put mine on & just slid... camry deserved it haha, then someone leaked oil out of my car & my guage didnt tell me it was low, so I heard my pistons clunking & bam, engine exploded, last but not least... It was night & I was driving down the road, switched to the right lane & BOOM! some truck dropped logs in the road , slammed into them destroying everything... bent rims, underside of engine was tore to hell.. bumper smashed, so then it was totalled.
I've raced my Z maybe twice, this car is a completly different type of story.

When I slid under that camry, my whole life flashed before my eyes... god that sucked lol

edit :Guess I should post that camry pic huh? haha
Attached Thumbnails How many of you have redlined your Z?-p1010333.jpg   How many of you have redlined your Z?-deadmx5.jpg   How many of you have redlined your Z?-deadmx53.jpg   How many of you have redlined your Z?-p1010492.jpg  

Last edited by ickysz; 06-19-2007 at 05:18 AM.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:25 AM
ickysz

This pic is after it slid down my car some, there tailpipe busted threw my windsheild ,glass flew in my face & gas poured all over my car...
Attached Thumbnails How many of you have redlined your Z?-thewreck.jpg  
Old 06-19-2007, 05:39 AM
jtabraham

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alberto
WTF I can tell you know what your talking about, once you hit limiter WOT, you can bounce the car at redline all day. It wont kick you down to 4000 or even 5000rpm's that just silly.

You're right (I don't know where i pulled out that 4k number ). But if I hit the limiter, it doesn't allow me to bounce around that rpm range. It sort of just bogs down a little and keeps it under redline for a moment, but no quick bouncing.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:43 AM
vaughn1576

Originally Posted by ickysz
This pic is after it slid down my car some, there tailpipe busted threw my windsheild ,glass flew in my face & gas poured all over my car...
I hope you have SIGNIFICANTLY better luck with the Z.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:46 AM
z-u-later

OP - Did you purchase a used Z? If you did, guess what? The previous owner probably redlined it already. If new, guess what? Drivers test driving it probably redlined it also. Drive it like you stole it? Redline every shift . . . it won't hurt the Z.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:24 AM
Kegsbane

Yeah, that's pretty ignorant. Miatas are nice.

I don't know about reliability but drivability is pretty sweet.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:59 AM
ZBigDog

Yeah for sure, running against a STI the day I got it and against an NSX a couple weeks ago...no problems
Old 06-19-2007, 09:14 AM
bailey bill

Originally Posted by jtabraham
You're right (I don't know where i pulled out that 4k number ). But if I hit the limiter, it doesn't allow me to bounce around that rpm range. It sort of just bogs down a little and keeps it under redline for a moment, but no quick bouncing.
Most cars have a rev-limiter that actually shuts the engine down usually by shutting the injectors off one you hit it, then turning it back on once RPM drop below setpoint. And with this cioncept, "bouncing off the limiter" is an accurate dexcription.

But the Z limiter actually acts like a governor. It truly "limits" you in the sense that it will no longer acellerate, but it will allow you to hold it right at RPM limit. It does NOT "bounce off the limiter".

bill
Old 06-19-2007, 09:19 AM
bailey bill

I sold my '97 Miata when I bought the Z.

I would argue that the Miata is MORE of a "sports car" than the Z. The Z is really a high performance GT-type car.

And I probably redlined the Miata even more than I do the Z. Frankly, I hope the Z holds up to my agressive driving nearly as well as the Miata did.

Owned the Miata 3 years, and about 35K miles. Zero problems, zero repairs.

bill
Old 06-19-2007, 09:24 AM
BabyZiLLa

Originally Posted by bailey bill
I sold my '97 Miata when I bought the Z.

I would argue that the Miata is MORE of a "sports car" than the Z. The Z is really a high performance GT-type car.

And I probably redlined the Miata even more than I do the Z. Frankly, I hope the Z holds up to my agressive driving nearly as well as the Miata did.

Owned the Miata 3 years, and about 35K miles. Zero problems, zero repairs.

bill
I really hate the styling of the Miata. Too femine for my likes. But man is it ever hard to find a driver that dislikes them.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:33 AM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

if you don't wanna redline and or fast you shouldn't have gotten a Z
Old 06-19-2007, 01:04 PM
SunsetZ33

Uhhh, how many of you have never redlined your Z?
I don't think I've ever driven mine without redlining it. 6600 rpm comes up quick!
Old 06-19-2007, 01:14 PM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by SunsetZ33
Uhhh, how many of you have never redlined your Z?
I don't think I've ever driven mine without redlining it. 6600 rpm comes up quick!
Truth.

Hell, I redlined every one that I test drove.

Quick Reply: How many of you have redlined your Z?