Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Would this improve aerodynamics? or not

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 05:15 AM
ickysz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would this improve aerodynamics? or not

I had this on my mind all night, took me forever to go to sleep because I had an idea but didnt know if it was logical or not, what do you think?

When the wind flows over our cars going down the road, it also enter's the grill, right? Then the wind also slams into our radiator, does this cause med/high resistance? I dont know much about car's (as I'm sure you can tell) but I'm trying to learn,& it just seems logical to me to make an internal grill insert that is angled upward towards the engine, forcing the extra air to flow upward around the engine to not just create better aerodynamic's (since the air isnt slamming into a flat surface & making our car push against the wind)but to make the engine bay cooler.

I'm already making a ram out of 4" pipe w/ a 90 degree angle on the right side of my grill (the inside), for cool air to shoot up in the area of my intake, but then I had this idea.

It wouldnt be hard to make & I would do a DIY w/ tons of pictures, but would it really help anything?

Last edited by ickysz; 06-21-2007 at 05:17 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:17 AM
Ghost 350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 06-21-2007, 05:35 AM
IcW@TeR

uhhhh wait sooooo ya wanna divery the cool air away from hitting the radiator?
Old 06-21-2007, 05:46 AM
ickysz

The air wouldnt be directed over the radiator, but shooting higher up, so it could spread over the engine as well.
Anybody... would this improve aero' or am I just waisting my time w/ this post....
Old 06-21-2007, 05:50 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

air flows through the radiator. Hell people install radiator cooling plates/shrouds to puch more air into the radiator for more cooling power.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:50 AM
abyss

Dear god you post some wierd shit ever. lol
Old 06-21-2007, 05:54 AM
jtabraham

You would screw with the aerodynamics, and hurt your cooling by doing this.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:54 AM
ickysz

Thank you Abyss haha topic closed..
Old 06-21-2007, 05:55 AM
ickysz

Oh yeah, would the ram be fine then? Saw someone do it on here, seems smart. It wouldnt block off the radiator air flow
Old 06-21-2007, 05:59 AM
jtabraham

In my opinion, a well designed hood would meet your goals easier than any ram air tube. Realize that with a tube coming from the grill section, any bend you put will incur a pressure drop, and the length of the tube will also lead to pressure loss. Additionally, if you wanted to uniformly cool the top of the engine you would need to diffuse the air, but at normal speeds I'm pretty confident you'll get little to no cooling effect at all.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:59 AM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

does not sound like a good idea
Old 06-21-2007, 06:06 AM
ickysz

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction-diy/44933-ram-for-aem-nismo-cai.html What about this guy?
Old 06-21-2007, 07:40 AM
ickysz

AND what about the ram some of you have cut out of your bumper,so air can blow into the car? Wondering if they experiance pressure drops? I need someone to explain how adding a rather small ram pipe behind the grill on one side can cause a "pressure drop" ? But theres do not?
Old 06-21-2007, 08:01 AM
jtabraham

Originally Posted by ickysz
AND what about the ram some of you have cut out of your bumper,so air can blow into the car? Wondering if they experiance pressure drops? I need someone to explain how adding a rather small ram pipe behind the grill on one side can cause a "pressure drop" ? But theres do not?
If you are referring to an air duct such as Titek or Varis, that that is simply a duct opening designed to target air towards the intake inlet.

You are talking about putting in a pipe with some 90 degree bends to redirect air from the grill to the top of your engine for cooling. First off, you need to give more information, such as the diameter of piping you plan on using, the number of bends you will incorporate and their angles, the inlet size, the outlet size, what your goals are, where you want to spot-cool the motor etc.

Any piping material will have an absolute roughness (measured in mm), which prevents the fluid flow from being perfect. Instead of a laminar flow, you will get a gradient of turbulence on the walls of the tubing which essentially makes the piping diameter smaller. Because no flow is perfect, your inlet pressure will always be higher than your outlet pressure (assuming piping diameter stays constant) because frictional forces within the system cause pressure drops.

So far, all we've received from you is "I want to prevent air from 'slamming' in the radiator, by redirecting it over the engine. I think this will make it cooler and be better aerodynamically." Again, I responded by saying, I believe you will get better results from a properly vented hood since you have very limited build plans.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:12 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Any air that is not going though your radiators (including engine, oil, trans, ps, brake coolers whatever) or into your intake is a loss. Air only moves so fast through the radiator so this area in front of it becomes high pressure and full. Sort of like a funnel, you can pour all the water you want in the top but at some point it will over flow because the opening at the other end meters it out slowly. This blocked/overflowing air then travels over/around/under the car instead and at least the over/around is helping you keep the car stuck.

If you allow more air to flow past the radiator, you are effectively making the small side of the funnel larger but since this air has no use and it will most likely exit through the bottom of the car, you will get the exact opposite of what you want.

Chris
Old 06-21-2007, 09:12 AM
modzs

You post some weird crap. You seem like the type of person who should be driving an Integra or Civic.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:52 AM
GG06Si

Listen there are people called engineers who get paid good money to think like that and Im pretty sure that if that Idea worked it would have been incorporated already. But yeah engine cooling would have to more important than a simple gain of aero efficiency
Old 06-21-2007, 08:47 PM
evolved326

I always thought the engin got cooling from that god damn stupid unaerodynamic radiator? Angle the engine too so the air goes and cools your head.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:54 PM
NightRida

varis duct anyone?
Peace!
Old 06-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Grammar Police

Originally Posted by GG06Si
Listen Comma required.there are people called engineers who get paid good money to think like that [The phrase that ends in "...think like that" does not convey your message effectively. See my revision.] and [This should be a new sentence.]Im [I am: I'm. An apostrophe is compulsory] pretty sure that if that [This is stylistically imprudent.] Idea [No capitalization is required. It would be if you were writing in the 18th Century.]worked [Ideas don't "work"; consider revision.]it would have been incorporated already. But yeah [Comma required. This clause is unnecessary so omission is preferable.]engine cooling would have to [This doesn't make sense.] more important than a simple [Why "simple"? gain of aero efficiency [Sentences end in periods.]

Global comment: Use periods.

Consider this revision:

Engineers are paid to consider things like aerodynamics, cooling, etc.. I'm certain that these engineers have already considered your idea. If they found it beneficial, it would have been incorporated into the design of the vehicle. However, it was not. A likely explanation is that engine cooling is more important than the small aerodynamic gain achieved by deflecting air away from the radiator.

Quick Reply: Would this improve aerodynamics? or not