redsoxfan184524
Nts Nts Nts Nts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 06-25-2007, 08:28 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,662 Posts

Try it , my last car ran better with 89 vs 91, but im also at higher alt. One tank will not ruin anything , not will running it at all time. Our cars will calibrate themselves to the quality of the gas (lower octane only) to prevent any engine damage.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:44 PM
xlucidx

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Try it , my last car ran better with 89 vs 91, but im also at higher alt. One tank will not ruin anything , not will running it at all time. Our cars will calibrate themselves to the quality of the gas (lower octane only) to prevent any engine damage.

thats what i heard from concept Z and a few other tuning places as well as the factory
they told me over time the ECU will compensate for the lower octane fuel and they said as long as i didnt have nitrous or any FI type modifications then the 87 wouldnt hurt it at all
but ill still fill up with 92 next time to take full advantage of the cars capabilities
Old 06-25-2007, 09:29 PM
md350

I put 91 in my car because my manual tells me to do so. If I could not afford to put 91 in my Z, I would not have bought it.

Please, put 87 in your car and go buy that special candy bar you really love inside the gas station with your $2.00 you just saved. On your walk back, use the extra time to think about the damage you just did to that beautiful car, and how it is so worth it.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:33 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,662 Posts

Originally Posted by md350
On your walk back, use the extra time to think about the damage you just did to that beautiful car, and how it is so worth it.

What damage did he cause , if you knew anything about OBD2 and modern ECU's, you would know this. The only thing he is going to lose is a few Hp , he could actually gain Hp .
Old 06-25-2007, 09:36 PM
trains1937

Received 119 Likes on 14 Posts

Read the manual. Read the manual. Read the manual. Why do you buy a car like the Z and mess with fuel requirements?

As for the Civic putdowns. Its a damn good car for its purpose. I've owned 3 of them and they do what there built to do. They're not Zs and Honda never claimed they were.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:48 PM
Ferrari_Jones

Read the manual, it clearly states that you should use no lower then 91 octane unless it is an emergency, which would constitute about a tank of 87, once or twice in the engines life. It also clearly states not to put anything in the tank other then gas, no octane boosters at all, unless voiding warranties is your thing.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Ianmtx

93 Ftmfw
Old 06-25-2007, 10:08 PM
md350

Originally Posted by terrasmak
What damage did he cause , if you knew anything about OBD2 and modern ECU's, you would know this. The only thing he is going to lose is a few Hp , he could actually gain Hp .
You're right. Use 87 for the rest of the car's life.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:40 AM
xbreakerx

poore brother
Old 06-26-2007, 05:43 AM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Diesel fuel ONLY !
Attached Thumbnails pump gas?-tn.jpg  
Old 06-26-2007, 06:21 AM
GalvatronType_R

I will laugh like crazy if your next post is "Blew my engine because of octane knock" or "How many thousands will it cost to rebuild the engine" just because you wanted to save $3 by buying 87.

Reap what you sow, friend...
Old 06-26-2007, 06:35 AM
HardTech

See I am going to be one of those people that will be filling up with 87 (only if I get a new Z).

Cars learn to what they are filled with. Take my moms old 96 thunderbird. It could use the cheapest gas. But my mother always filled it up with Prem when the gas was cheap (remember 1.00 for prem?). Well when it got high ($2) she filled it with regular... it knocked like all anything. Took 3 years (prem/mid, mid, med/reg) to get it back where it liked regular. Now it does just fine on the cheapest gas you can fill it with :/

They tell you to use prem because that’s now they got the HP numbers. It should not burn anything out, if it serves me right Prem fuel burns hotter than regular anyways :/

Oh and FYI the difference for me on reg vs prem in my situation is $45. That’s a water bill, internet bill, or over a period of a year a call bill+

Just something to think about.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:39 AM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by redlude97
you realize that it saved you a whole $3 right? If you don't have 3 dollars to spare, seriously consider selling the Z, its monthly payment is too high for you.
he said it best, end of thread
Old 06-26-2007, 06:41 AM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tac-M
Diesel fuel ONLY !

great pic
Old 06-26-2007, 07:10 AM
GalvatronType_R

Originally Posted by HardTech
See I am going to be one of those people that will be filling up with 87 (only if I get a new Z).

Cars learn to what they are filled with. Take my moms old 96 thunderbird. It could use the cheapest gas. But my mother always filled it up with Prem when the gas was cheap (remember 1.00 for prem?). Well when it got high ($2) she filled it with regular... it knocked like all anything. Took 3 years (prem/mid, mid, med/reg) to get it back where it liked regular. Now it does just fine on the cheapest gas you can fill it with :/

They tell you to use prem because that’s now they got the HP numbers. It should not burn anything out, if it serves me right Prem fuel burns hotter than regular anyways :/

Oh and FYI the difference for me on reg vs prem in my situation is $45. That’s a water bill, internet bill, or over a period of a year a call bill+

Just something to think about.
It is YOUR CAR, I am not going to tell you what to do with it. Drive it into a wall for all I care.

But if you're going with the 87 gas route, do not, I REPEAT, DO NOT come on this board asking how much it will cost to fix the engine or how Nissan makes crappy engines because yours blew up.

Again, reap what you sow.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:53 AM
HardTech

Originally Posted by dave079
So your willing to have a brand new car knock like hell to save you $45 a year? Unbelievable.
$45 a year I would do it, $45 a month though... That equals up.

Know several people with escalades, bmws and other cars that all say prem. If they ran it with regular from day one they have never had issues related to gas. (People breaking in, transmission problems, and electrical problems are unrelated)

Never have ran prem, never will run prem. In my mind its a marketing gimmick

Basically when you read up on it, most car manufactures start with regular (because its common). But when it comes to sporty cars they are looking for #'s. They could not break some barrier so they bumped up the octane and boom they are at the numbers they wanted.

If standard gas breaks an engine on a stock n/a setup ill complain. But most likely the only reason why you would run into issues is bad gas, in which case it doesn’t matter about its rating then.

If some Nissan engineer can prove me wrong, then ill be one of the first at the prem pump. But I have yet to see, or hear a solid argument.

Only thing Nissan has said to me on that subject is that "you will not get the advertised performance that the vehicle was built around, but no harm should come if you keep up with normal maintenance as the car will learn to adapt". They did not say it would void warrantee though, so they will still stick behind there product. I guess they believe nothing should happen too?

Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R
It is YOUR CAR, I am not going to tell you what to do with it. Drive it into a wall for all I care.

But if you're going with the 87 gas route, do not, I REPEAT, DO NOT come on this board asking how much it will cost to fix the engine or how Nissan makes crappy engines because yours blew up.

Again, reap what you sow.
You may have an issue if I drove it into a wall, increase insurance rates FTL.
As for the rest, see the above statement. Getting the ok from Nissan is good enough for me

Quick Reply: pump gas?