2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pump gas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 08:34 AM
ROSELL0522

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Say it again.. READ THE MANUAL! (The builders of the car!) Nothing below 91. Screw what most dealerships tell you. Find a mechanic that has taken them apart and seen the inside covered in deposits. Stop going by keeping the car for a few years then trading it in(unless that's what you plan on doing then who cares). Think about long term. It will do damage eventually. Just because you might not hear it knock now doesn't mean it's not tearing the inside apart. You don't always hear a warning when your destroying something on the car.....
Old 06-26-2007, 09:15 AM
OverdrivE23

Talking

I just read through the whole thread and no where did anyone say anything about putting 87 in then adding octane booster.

I read that typical OB's bump a 15gal tank up 3-4 "octanes" (haha). So with our 20 gal tank we'd be closer to the 2 marker.

So if we fill up with 89 @ $3.10 = $62.00 for a full tank, plus $3 for octane booster (rough average) you'd be at 91 octane for $65 bucks. Where a tank of 91 octane @ $3.25 = $65.

Hm....see anything weird? Same Price!

Now, if your gas is more expensive (which it will be eventually) I think that the 89+booster would work out in your pocket...but at or less then the values I put together and you'd be better off just saving time and putting 91 in there.

Hope this helps anyone that had that "?" on their mind.

(gas prices & octane prices vary greatly .... so keep that in mind before you flame this)
Old 06-26-2007, 09:21 AM
Fluid1

Buy a bicycle.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:23 AM
Shift_Z33

Why is it so hard to spend the extra $5 for 91? You can afford the car so surely you can shell out enough for premium like the manual calls for. Yes the ECU will adjust timing for you, but I just cant understand why people are so cheap as to buy 87 octane for a sports car that calls for premium. Maybe you are saving that extra couple bucks for a combo meal at BK.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:20 AM
mavtais

Originally Posted by xlucidx
well i guess ill burn the rest of the tank off that i have, should be fun
and fill up with 92
ive been using 87 for a while, hopefully theres no damage

thanks for the serious responses guys
Fun?! If you read the manual, it says if there is no 91 around and you need gas immediately, go ahead and use a lower octane (like 87). Keep the RPMs down. As soon as you get to a gas station with 91, then get it.
You've been using 87 for a while?! Hope you didn't redline it. That's where you'll hear the knock and tear the motor apart.
High octane=harder to explode=higher compression
Old 06-26-2007, 10:37 AM
PhiSig
Wheel Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Friend Blew up his VQ powered altima SE upshifting at 5 grand on 87 -- DON'T BE STUPID, Treat your Z right.

93 and only from SHELL for mine
Old 06-26-2007, 11:28 AM
md350

Originally Posted by HardTech
$45 a year I would do it, $45 a month though... That equals up.

Know several people with escalades, bmws and other cars that all say prem. If they ran it with regular from day one they have never had issues related to gas. (People breaking in, transmission problems, and electrical problems are unrelated)

Never have ran prem, never will run prem. In my mind its a marketing gimmick

Basically when you read up on it, most car manufactures start with regular (because its common). But when it comes to sporty cars they are looking for #'s. They could not break some barrier so they bumped up the octane and boom they are at the numbers they wanted.

If standard gas breaks an engine on a stock n/a setup ill complain. But most likely the only reason why you would run into issues is bad gas, in which case it doesn’t matter about its rating then.

If some Nissan engineer can prove me wrong, then ill be one of the first at the prem pump. But I have yet to see, or hear a solid argument.

Only thing Nissan has said to me on that subject is that "you will not get the advertised performance that the vehicle was built around, but no harm should come if you keep up with normal maintenance as the car will learn to adapt". They did not say it would void warrantee though, so they will still stick behind there product. I guess they believe nothing should happen too?

You may have an issue if I drove it into a wall, increase insurance rates FTL.
As for the rest, see the above statement. Getting the ok from Nissan is good enough for me

$45 a month huh? That means you fill your tank about 24 times a month. Interesting.

That means you drive your Z for hours every day, with below standard fuel.

I sincerely hope you do destroy your car, because it would be a REALLY *******-ish thing to do to sell it to a reasonable human being.

Octane recommendations are made specifically for each car, and their ignition timing is set for exactly that number. Not higher not lower. Oh, and you wanted the OK from Nissan? They wrote it down in your user's manual for you. Because surely you trust a Nissan engineer over an employee at your local Nissan dealersip?

Please, anyone using 87, do the respectable thing - ruin your car before getting rid of it so no one has to deal with problems you intentionally created.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:44 PM
xlucidx

Originally Posted by mavtais
Fun?! If you read the manual, it says if there is no 91 around and you need gas immediately, go ahead and use a lower octane (like 87). Keep the RPMs down. As soon as you get to a gas station with 91, then get it.
You've been using 87 for a while?! Hope you didn't redline it. That's where you'll hear the knock and tear the motor apart.
High octane=harder to explode=higher compression

in my defense, my used car didnt have the manual, sorry
Old 06-26-2007, 01:12 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're really intent on saving money on gas, just drive slower, upshift early, don't go WOT.

The "gains" will be much higher than running cheap gas that forces an engine to kill it's efficiency.

Take the bus once a week if you have to!

Old 06-26-2007, 01:35 PM
s ladd

Anyone on here that is too cheap to put in premium gas in a sports car is pathetic.

1) You will lose power running 87 octane cause it will spark knock like crazy til the computer retards the timing. But it will not retard the timing enough for safety.

2) Maybe you should just drive slower to save gas instead of putting cheap gas in the car

3) If you are not too concerned with the performance of the car or the longevity of the engine, why did you buy a 2 seated sports car? These cars are not the most economical out there.

I had a 2000 Maxima previous to this 2006 350z, and it also had high compression. It was around 10.5:1. It would spark knock very bad on low octane fuel (87 or 89 octane). YES, it would run, but poorly. So for those saying their cars do not spark knock on cheap gas, maybe you are just too dumb to know what spark knock sounds like.

And sorry to burst your bubble about the octane boosters at autozone, but when they mention that it raises your octane 2-6 points.. that is exactly it.. POINTS. that means from 93.0 octane to 93.6 octane. NOT from 93.0 octane to 99.0 octane.

Shaun
Old 06-26-2007, 02:23 PM
mavtais

Originally Posted by xlucidx
in my defense, my used car didnt have the manual, sorry
Please pick the one that is right for you...
http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/local_links.php?catid=53
Old 06-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Z-T

Do the Z community a favor - sell your Z and buy a Honda Civic.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Kolia

Originally Posted by Z-T
Do the Z community a favor - sell your Z and buy a Honda Civic.
Hey, I design Honda's !
Old 06-26-2007, 05:26 PM
ROSELL0522

Originally Posted by dave079
You are dreaming if you think that crap in a can you buy at Auto Zone adds 2-3 octane. points.

+1 Try 0.2-0.3 octane points!
Old 06-26-2007, 06:24 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,290 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Originally Posted by ROSELL0522
Say it again.. READ THE MANUAL! (The builders of the car!) Nothing below 91. Screw what most dealerships tell you. Find a mechanic that has taken them apart and seen the inside covered in deposits. Stop going by keeping the car for a few years then trading it in(unless that's what you plan on doing then who cares). Think about long term. It will do damage eventually. Just because you might not hear it knock now doesn't mean it's not tearing the inside apart. You don't always hear a warning when your destroying something on the car.....
What part of the ECU will retard the timing and adjust to lower octane fuel do you and many of the clueless others not understand?? No damage will happen with these cars running lower octanes.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:28 PM
Kolia

Originally Posted by terrasmak
What part of the ECU will retard the timing and adjust to lower octane fuel do you and many of the clueless others not understand?? No damage will happen with these cars running lower octanes.
Are we sure the ECU is able to retard the timing enough? What kind of combustion will take place then? Are the cats being sprayed by unburt fuel?

I'm asking, I don't know the answer...
Old 06-26-2007, 06:50 PM
s ladd

Originally Posted by Kolia
Are we sure the ECU is able to retard the timing enough? What kind of combustion will take place then? Are the cats being sprayed by unburt fuel?

I'm asking, I don't know the answer...
The knock sensor is what detects knock and it sends the signals to the ECU to do 2 things..

1) retard timing
2) dump MORE fuel to cool the combustion chamber -- so yes, damaging the catalytic converters also

The ECU definitely retards timing so it will not do as much damage on the engine. However, that is not enough. No matter how much you retard the timing, the compression is still too high for 87 octane fuel. Think about what detonation is... its pre-ignition of the air/fuel mixture. So that means it ignites BEFORE there is ever a spark. Therefore, no matter when the ignition spark is, if you are getting detonation, you are causing damage.

The logic for using cheap gas is just dumb. The car will also run with 1 quart less oil in it.. with no short term damage. However I am sure in the long run, it will not be a happy VQ. Why don't you start skimping in that area also. And while you are at it with these money saving ideas.. TAKE OUT YOUR AIR FILTER. The car will run great for the short term. Now in the long term you may see a little blowby, but its all good. Think of that $10 filter you saved.

If you don't know, and are curious, then I am not mad at you. But for those arguing the fact, you really sound like idiots.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:43 PM
ROSELL0522

Originally Posted by terrasmak
I think you need to read the facts and this thread AGAIN and you will see that you don't understand! Like usual someone asked a question on here and a clueless person like you commented on something you don't know letting your ego take over while the rest of us were trying to help the person understand. Octane boosters add 0.2-0.3 and yes cheap gas will do damage OVER a longer period of time. Question answered and problem solved! Are we done having a pissing contest yet?

Quick Reply: pump gas?