Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Does the way other drivers react to you and your Z depend on your age?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 12:18 PM
Morningglorie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, put your front plates on! That'll stop that hassle, anyway.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:18 PM
hollywood_93b

Originally Posted by 35oZephyR
I'm mid twenties and the Z is "modded":

Haven't had any negative reactions yet. Mostly positive ones from kids, domestic guys, bikers, truckers, soccer moms, fellow car enthusiasts...

Occasionally I'll get the ricer-fly by from an econo or big SUV that doesn't really stand a chance, but I know it's just all in fun.

I guess it's all in the demeanor. If you are respectful and relaxed, you get that in return.

pretty much have been taking it easy all week for the most part

Last edited by hollywood_93b; 08-09-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:28 PM
All SmileZ

Originally Posted by opathal
The car you drive often says nothing about how successful you are.
I completely agree. It has more to do with the type of choices you make/have. If you are "successful" (whatever that really means) I think you have more options. There are plenty of people who don't put a lot of value into the type of car they drive (not making a judgement here). We can look at others cars and know what they paid for it or guess what the note is, but we don't really know how they paid for it, are the financing terms "good", how the car purchase affects their disposable income, if the car is in someone else's name, ...

Again, I'm not making a judgement on anyone here. I'd just caution on using a person's car as some measure of success. I'm sure we all have stories (and even talk bad) about young adults who drive a Benz or something but live with their parents. Successful or not? Don't really know. Maybe they sold their previous house and are waiting for new construction to complete. Maybe they returned home to help sick parents. Maybe they decided to put all their income into a car and have limited housing options as a result. Sorry for the incoherent rant.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:46 PM
mcurry5

I used to drive a Lexus ES 300 (now the wifes car). I actually hated it when someone asked what I drove. I never wanted to tell them. I just didnt like the fact that people would always assume I made a lot money or was stuck up. And that happended alot. The truth is that I bought the car for 18K used. Probably less than the darn Ford Taurus. I just happened to like the Lexus(Toyota brand) because of the reliability and comfort features, not to show a status symbol.

There will always be people that will try and bring you down because you get something nice, or happen to be successful. I have people like that in my family. They wont come out and say it, but I can tell you for a fact that some of them would feel happy if I were to come into rough times. ie.. lose my job, lose my car ect... It is sickening that people are like that.

For the life of me I cant figure out why people just cant be happy for others. Now dont get me wrong, if you are an a-hole and flaunt your success' to people that are less fortunate then I would probably have a smile on my face if that person fell on rough times. But for the average hard working guy who happens to treat him or herself to a nice car, clothes, ect... I am truly happy for that person.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:02 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ankhharu
I'm 31, and pretty much have been taking it easy all week for the most part due to the weather here. People have been going out of their way to dick with me. So I know it's not my demeanor. Maybe it's chrome rims on a black car. The car tends to stick out in traffic more. People can't stand to see someone with something nice.

You have chrome rims. I would hassle you too!
Old 06-29-2007, 01:10 PM
I1DER

I'm in the somewhat older generation, but a few times I've been egged on to 'show what I've got'. I'm sure ignoring them works faster the older you look. I consider it demeaning to myself to accept a challenge on public roads.

Hint: If they are harassing you to distraction or may make you miss your exit on the freeway, I suggest a quick surprise move. Even if they have a quicker car(usually not) or can brake fast, the reaction response time gives you great advantage that can get you around them or off an exit that they can't make. Exits are the best way to avoid idiots. There are classes in elusive driving.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:26 PM
30PSI

I'm mid twenties and the Z is "modded":

Haven't had any negative reactions yet. Mostly positive ones from kids, domestic guys, bikers, truckers, soccer moms, fellow car enthusiasts...

Occasionally I'll get the ricer-fly by from an econo or big SUV that doesn't really stand a chance, but I know it's just all in fun.

I guess it's all in the demeanor. If you are respectful and relaxed, you get that in return.
I couldn't agree more. One thing though just because people wanted to run you doesn't mean they're hating on you. I usually be the one trying to hassle people when I see another sportscar on the street and no traffic. As long as it's all in good fun, I don't see any harm in it hell we bought a sportscar for a reason. I always slow down and give them a thumb up(even if I smoked them by bus lenghts lol) and people usually do the same in return if they're enthusiast a few mustang owners I ran into flipped me off though haha.

Last edited by 30PSI; 06-29-2007 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:36 PM
Morningglorie

the reaction response time gives you great advantage that can get you around them or off an exit that they can't make. Exits are the best way to avoid idiots.
Very true. Back when I was a hot young thang, I used to get unwanted attention from truck drivers all. the. time. It was not just annoying, it was scary, especially when they'd play "pass me, pass you, pass me, pass you..." If a trucker did the pass and then slow down right in front of me thing more than once, I would often take the next exit and then get back on the freeway again to get rid of him.

Very scary once when a trucker actually followed me off the exit and into a residential neighborhood, through several turns. Fortunately I knew where the police station was and headed for it. Once I pulled in there, Mr. Trucker decided he had business elsewhere and hurried away.

One advantage of becoming middle-aged, don't get that sort of nonsense any more.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:02 PM
hollywood_93b

You have chrome rims. I would hassle you too!
Yea, but they're sweet rims.
Attached Thumbnails Does the way other drivers react to you and your Z depend on your age?-107-0718_img.jpg  
Old 06-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Scythenc

I cant even go somewhere to sit down and eat. me and a friend were sitting down eating lunch at the local chicken wing place. and this guy walks up to me goes does that blue z out there belong to one of you guys? I go yeah thats mine why? He goes you wanna race that blue srt-4 and points out the window. I go whats done to i dont know its my friends over there. the owner goes its stock.

im like okay you challenge somebody to race when im clearly sitting here trying to enjoy my meal. and you dont have the cajones yourself to come over so you send one of your friends to ask for you? and you decide to challenge the z with an intercooler that takes up the entire front grill with a stock srt-4? i mean i give credit when credit's due but yeeesh.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:20 PM
Teufel
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcurry5
I used to drive a Lexus ES 300 (now the wifes car). I actually hated it when someone asked what I drove. I never wanted to tell them. I just didnt like the fact that people would always assume I made a lot money or was stuck up. And that happended alot. The truth is that I bought the car for 18K used. Probably less than the darn Ford Taurus. I just happened to like the Lexus(Toyota brand) because of the reliability and comfort features, not to show a status symbol.

There will always be people that will try and bring you down because you get something nice, or happen to be successful. I have people like that in my family. They wont come out and say it, but I can tell you for a fact that some of them would feel happy if I were to come into rough times. ie.. lose my job, lose my car ect... It is sickening that people are like that.

For the life of me I cant figure out why people just cant be happy for others. Now dont get me wrong, if you are an a-hole and flaunt your success' to people that are less fortunate then I would probably have a smile on my face if that person fell on rough times. But for the average hard working guy who happens to treat him or herself to a nice car, clothes, ect... I am truly happy for that person.
The good news about the 18K part is that women don't know the difference . Drive a 18K Lexus....and the (lame pretentious) ladies say you drive a Lexus. Buy a 25K brand new Taurus....You drive a *cough cough* Ford wa wa.

Not that I give a sh*t about what spoiled b*tches think, but it's an interesting concept.

740i BMW - $6000
Fake Rolex - $100
Ross outfit - $60
Banging a spoiled chick that thinks your rich. Priceless

Explaining to all your friends that you're a tool.....not priceless
Old 06-29-2007, 02:27 PM
NightRida

Originally Posted by savannahZ
I get some bad looks because I am 20 with a Z, but most of the time people give me the thumbs up, or will approach me and ask me about the car.. But to those people that give me bad looks, They are just made because I am more successful than they are at such a young age! Ho hO!
SAVANNAH represent!!! Hey man where in Savannah are you? I stay out on Whitemarsh Island, I'm the one with the SMB 07 in town. Hit me up, I hear they have a Z club here but been real busy lately and just trying to get into the groove!
Peace!
Old 06-29-2007, 02:29 PM
xlucidx

so far ive been complimented by a few females ranging from 15-30
ive been followed by at least a handfull of mustangs revving engines
dodge stratus passed me revving several times
various other cars, even beaters rev at me

but i guess thats what you get with driving such an attention getting car *shrugs*
Old 06-29-2007, 02:34 PM
Bumpinjeep

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by opathal
The good news about the 18K part is that women don't know the difference . Drive a 18K Lexus....and the (lame pretentious) ladies say you drive a Lexus. Buy a 25K brand new Taurus....You drive a *cough cough* Ford wa wa.

Not that I give a sh*t about what spoiled b*tches think, but it's an interesting concept.

740i BMW - $6000
Fake Rolex - $100
Ross outfit - $60
Banging a spoiled chick that thinks your rich. Priceless

Explaining to all your friends that you're a tool.....not priceless
Good point. And the only chicks that you can get if you drive an HR on some Time attack Volks are dudes into nice cars
Old 06-29-2007, 02:49 PM
PJ 32

I'm 37 I don't get hassled that much. When I had my VW GTI ... I would get hassled all the time by hondas and sti crowd, but now I have the Z ...I get harassed by old vettes , bmw's and MB's now LOL For the most part I do a little spirited driving but I don't street race ...cops are too thick around here for that. I take it to the track if I really want to race or something like that.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:30 PM
trains1937

Received 119 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kmag52
I am 52 and dont get hassled at all when I am in the car. The only thing I notice is people do tailgate me...especially the yahoos in pickup trucks..it gets irritating after a while.

Yahoos in pickup trucks tailgate everybody. I think its genetic.

Last edited by trains1937; 06-29-2007 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:41 PM
ZSpectrum

Originally Posted by Ankhharu
Only had the car for a week and i've noticed that i'm getting treated differently. Alot of SUV's and trucks have been riding my *** alot more than with previous vehicles. Been cut off already a few times by a couple of 4 door sedans.
4 door sedan was me white sti ftmfw
Old 06-29-2007, 04:17 PM
aznriceball2

Im 16, usually get the ricer fly by's once in a while, but usually just get looked down upon by evo and sti drivers haha. And i have no idea who, but theres this one local guy that always revs me and pushes me in his "modded" rx8. I definitely like to push my car but not when there are others on the road that i could end up killing so i usually go out at night by myself, people around here sleep early so its quiet and empty. i guess im more of a chicken than anything else haha
Old 06-29-2007, 04:30 PM
Morningglorie

Good. Stay that way so we can still have you around!

Better than going out at night by yourself, is there a local track around there where you could race? Don't take it for granted that no one else is on the road with you.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:43 PM
Justin350z03

I'm 21 and I get both. People just staring at the car and pointing to getting less than half a car length and just sit there. I usually slow down 5-10 mph below my cruising speed and get them pissed and just step on it. lol

And for the successful issue. Most of the people in my area buy there kid's cars ranging from Range Rovers to Mercedes. So that gets thrown out of the window. But for the majority of us that have did something to get our cars. It makes us feel good atleast

Quick Reply: Does the way other drivers react to you and your Z depend on your age?