Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Parking Dents

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 08:19 PM
Strider619

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parking Dents

I've owned the car for almost 2 months now. Me and my girl went to the ballgame, parked in a assigned event parking structure for $12. 4th floor was pretty empty when we came in, I parked rear first with no car on either side... I was dead center on my parking space. 2 hours later, I came back and saw a dent on my driver side. Ford Explorer parked next to me, pretty dirty too. My girlfriend expected me to flip out and key the damn fatty but I just kept it in. Boy did I hold back. Just thought I'd vent a little here, I know it's just a car but the first dent always hits hard...

ps. sorry no pix
Old 07-04-2007, 08:28 PM
Seel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ahhhhhhh that sux! Sorry man! Call a dealership you trust and get hold of someone in the service or "make ready" department. Ask them who gets out the door dings for them. It'll cost you $25-$50 to get it done.

I just got back from the movie theatre and before I parked I let my gf out and I swear I drove around for 5 minutes looking for the "safe" spot. The thing is, nothing is full proof safe anymore.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:09 PM
InSaNeZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear, I hate it when people are not careful when opening their doors.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:27 PM
03Platinum350z

Eh should of returned the favor....with a bat! But seriously, people these days! Sorry about the car mate!

Jeff
Old 07-04-2007, 09:27 PM
NC-Z

Oh man, sorry to hear that. I def. feel your pain. Yesterday i was waxing my car and discovered 3 nice little dents right on the fender flare on the passenger side. Ofcourse everyone knows those definetly wont come out. My way of venting in that situation was throwin the wax container then it bouncing off the wall and hitting my car making another dent.. Just cant win.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Z_Driver
Master

And the attitude if you approach some of these people is just simply rude.

This big guys dent my door while I'm sitting in my car. I call him on it. All he says is the spaces are too small. I said then he should park on the street if he can't get out of his car without damaging other peoples cars. He fllips me off and walks away.

Short story - I get his license plate serve him and he ended up paying for the repair. Even after the court case he saying stuff like. "Dude you should just relax .... It just a car." Yeah dude, a dream car that I worked hard for.

Most people just buy cars for transportantion and see the scratches and dents as being part of the process. For those of us that have a love affair it's heart wrenching when this happens.

It boils down to repecting others property. Some people don't care about their property or others so ..... they just do what they want.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:38 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,317 Likes on 1,668 Posts

If i know the car that put the dent in my door , i just kick their door in .
Old 07-04-2007, 11:20 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z_Driver

This big guys dent my door while I'm sitting in my car. I call him on it. All he says is the spaces are too small. I said then he should park on the street if he can't get out of his car without damaging other peoples cars. He fllips me off and walks away.

Short story - I get his license plate serve him and he ended up paying for the repair. Even after the court case he saying stuff like. "Dude you should just relax .... It just a car." Yeah dude, a dream car that I worked hard for.

Most people just buy cars for transportantion and see the scratches and dents as being part of the process. For those of us that have a love affair it's heart wrenching when this happens.

It boils down to repecting others property. Some people don't care about their property or others so ..... they just do what they want.
QFT... Don't get mad get even.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:31 PM
enth05

You sir, are my new hero.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:31 AM
henry j

damn man that sux, funny story i work at a place on the 6th floor, i was looking at my car from the window and i see a lady walking to her car..i got the feeling she was going to the car next to mine and i said please dnt hit my car. i watched his lady slam open her door and hit my car lolll i couldnt believe my eyes.!!! : ( i didnt get a chance to catch up to her but thankfully nothing happend to my car!!
Old 07-05-2007, 02:10 AM
Z_Driver
Master

Whew .... Glad that's how it turned out for you. Another time this happened to me when I was in my Pinto when I was sixteen. The girl dented the door and I was putting on side moldings so it gave me the perfect guide as to where to put them. Her brother worked at a body shop so she just told me to take it to him if I couldn't fix it. That was a risky proposition.

However, on a real sports car moldings just don't look right or they are too low to help you fend off dents.

& I don't know if I could do this to my Z:

Most of the time I can rub the blemishes out or touch them up OK. But, it still worries me until I get home and fix it.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 07-05-2007 at 02:18 AM.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:17 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you did that. People these days don't think that door dings aren't accidents. You can actually make a claim with their insurance.

A lot of us appreciate cars more than others. I knwo that for a fact. That's a reason why i got a beater so i don't care about that thing. Ding it up all you want.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:25 AM
Z_Driver
Master

Yep, me too... When I go to BART for parking I take my beater.

If someone taps this car I won't go ballistic on them. I do see a lot of BMW's Corvette's and other expensive cars there taking the risk. Not me, I'll save my Z for the weekend or around town where it is much less likely to suffer the damage.

The funny thing is with those big doors and side moldings on there people seem to park away from it.
The more dents you have in your beater the better for parking lots too. They make people shy away. Lol !!!

Last edited by Z_Driver; 07-05-2007 at 02:29 AM.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:30 AM
Key Lago

We all can feel the pain of a door ding from an inconsiderate A-H. I only have one so far (fingers crossed, knock on wood, etc.). It happened about 3 weeks after I got my Z. I drove it to work and some jealous jerk did it to it. It's typical. You try to have something nice and it's harder than hell to keep it in good shape.
I just park as far away as possible wherever I go and look for large and/or end spots.
Sorry for your experience.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:34 AM
Key Lago

Yep, me too... When I go to BART for parking I take my beater.

If someone taps this car I won't go ballistic on them. I do see a lot of BMW's Corvette's and other expensive cars there taking the risk. Not me, I'll save my Z for the weekend or around town where it is much less likely to suffer the damage.

The funny thing is with those big doors and side moldings on there people seem to park away from it.
The more dents you have in your beater the better for parking lots too. They make people shy away. Lol !!!

I have a beater too. It's an '84 Chevy Blazer. You're right. No one wants to park next to it. Strange that people typically only mess up nice things.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:34 AM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by Key Lago
We all can feel the pain of a door ding from an inconsiderate A-H. I only have one so far (fingers crossed, knock on wood, etc.). It happened about 3 weeks after I got my Z. I drove it to work and some jealous jerk did it to it. It's typical. You try to have something nice and it's harder than hell to keep it in good shape.
I just park as far away as possible wherever I go and look for large and/or end spots.
Sorry for your experience.
Let me add, if you can park your passenger side to a curb that helps out a bit as well. Sometimes stores have planters at the end of rows. That help some. Plus if you park your driver door to passenger door maybe that person will care enough about the person's car they are riding in that they might not want to dent their door. If it's their kid however, all bets are off. It's interesting that way with kids. They don't care about their parents stuff ... but, their friends or theirs ... Oh god forbid if they were to mess it up.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:38 AM
DeanZ07

I just hate it when people have no regard for others property. Many years ago I made a guy pay for the repairs after he dented/scratched my door. I went into the super market and had him paged. He couldn't believe I was doing that, but I'll bet he never did that again.

Also, had a lady open her door against mine while I was approaching. I asked her to be more careful. She said: "it's just a damn car"!!! Then I said: "Yes, but it's my f***n car". If you want to damage your go ahead, but leave me out of it.
DeanZ07
Old 07-05-2007, 02:40 AM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by Key Lago
I have a beater too. It's an '84 Chevy Blazer. You're right. No one wants to park next to it. Strange that people typically only mess up nice things.
Too many distructive / jealous people out there.

Thinking about these guys that are still blowing off M-80's outside while my wife is trying to get some sleep since she has to work tomorrow.
4th of July celebration is one thing but, at 3am in the morning .... Come on
The dog freaks out and starts barking so that doesn't help either. Tonight she was under the utility sink all curled up cause they were pretty close. Not the wife .... the dog.
Sorry for the ramble.... just getting batty about now.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:44 AM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by DeanZ07
I just hate it when people have no regard for others property. Many years ago I made a guy pay for the repairs after he dented/scratched my door. I went into the super market and had him paged. He couldn't believe I was doing that, but I'll bet he never did that again.

Also, had a lady open her door against mine while I was approaching. I asked her to be more careful. She said: "it's just a damn car"!!! Then I said: "Yes, but it's my f***n car". If you want to damage your go ahead, but leave me out of it.
DeanZ07
Paged - That's pretty good... cause they know you have their license plate. I'll bet though he only came because he thought something was wrong with his car.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:32 AM
Seel

Whew .... Glad that's how it turned out for you. Another time this happened to me when I was in my Pinto when I was sixteen. The girl dented the door and I was putting on side moldings so it gave me the perfect guide as to where to put them. Her brother worked at a body shop so she just told me to take it to him if I couldn't fix it. That was a risky proposition.

However, on a real sports car moldings just don't look right or they are too low to help you fend off dents.

& I don't know if I could do this to my Z:

Most of the time I can rub the blemishes out or touch them up OK. But, it still worries me until I get home and fix it.

Pinto FTW!!!