Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z Fighter

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 09:57 AM
EZZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope the supra comes....so it can get smashed by the new GTR

All jokes aside, if the supra does come in at around $40k, the GTR will only cost a few thousand more...if that is the case, the GTR with twin turbos and AWD (with the heritage from the previous GTRs) will be the performance leader anyway.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:27 AM
NissaNZ

Sorry but when I hear the name toyota, the first thing that comes to mind is not performance. I picture a butt ugly car with lame performance costing much more $$ than the competition.
Old 08-01-2002, 07:25 PM
Mez jr

actually I do buy toyota being able to put out a 350hp model for around 30k, hell wayy back when, before we even saw pics of the Z nobody thought they'd make the Z with more than like 220hp for under 30k. its the comparative hp pricing thing that'll get you in the sticky, because hp on production cars doesnt have as much to do with price as you think, its just a manufacturers trick.

as far as turnaround? well I'd be willing to bet that toyota can do that too, they have a habit of just popping cars on the public. so they may have started working on the car when the Z concept premiered, and thats why theyre a year behind (more like a year and a half).

but even still, I agree with the sentiment that sure, someone's always going to up the hp ante right after you buy your car, thats just the way the car industry is. even worse sometimes its the same car. the corvette Z06 guys were PISSED when their car went up 20hp in its 2nd year (385hp-405hp).

that stuff is just bound to happen
Old 08-01-2002, 10:16 PM
zPilott

I would be seriously suprized if Toyota doesn't have something in the works. I really think that if they do bring the Supra back to the US, it is going to be because the Z sells well. I don't have any doubts that the Z will make a lot of money for Nissan, but I bet the big boys over at Toyota are watching very carefully, since they are the ones that will be spending their companys money producing the car.

For anyone that wants the Supra to come back:
I think that the best thing you can do is buy a Z, just to make sure Toyota knows how much $$ they are missing out on.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:00 PM
MaximumHP

From what I understand the model will be out in 2004 but will be a 2005 model, which means it's probably still about two years away. I'm sure by that time Nissan will counter with a bump in HP for the Z. Toyotas products are usually higher priced than the competition, but they make good cars. Also they may squeeze in a base model under 30K, but in general you won't be able to touch one with equipment for less than the mid 30's probably. Sort of how the Z squeezed their base in at an unbelievable 26,269, but not many people are getting that model. At least the Z you can get in an equipped one under 30K, possibly even the performance when the hype dies down a bit. Still, the Supra will be a great car, and probably faster than the Z, but we'll have two years of development and a few grand in our pockets for superchargers.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:35 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Found a Little info on Supra

Its on the bottom of the page

http://www.toyotacelicaonline.com/rumors.htm#scion

And what is this, it has the toyota symbol
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
toyota supra.bmp (151.2 KB, 103 views)
Old 08-01-2002, 11:54 PM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Default Re: Found a Little info on Supra

Originally posted by aceman

Couple of interesting points in that article (assuming this vaporware ever gets built): 1. It says over 300 HP, that's quite a ways from 350; and 2) notice that they are going to offer both a 2.5L and a 3.5L car. Now, Toyota may try to compete with the Z by offering some stripped down POS with the 2.5L for $29,999. But there is NO way that the 2.5L car can compete with the Z and based on Toyota pricing, the 3.5L car will be OVER $40k.
Old 08-02-2002, 12:20 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Default another tid bit on the supra

http://www.importdriver.com.au/News2.htm

not sure how old this is, but it is some more info.
Old 08-02-2002, 01:07 AM
zPilott

Default Re: Found a Little info on Supra

I would love to see a supra come out that looked like these:

and here is one with a nissan logo:
Attached Thumbnails 350Z Fighter-toyota-supra-1-.jpg  
Old 08-02-2002, 01:17 AM
zPilott

sorry, for got the links

Old 08-02-2002, 01:58 AM
NissaNZ

Is it gonna be a bloated whale liek the last ones?
Old 08-02-2002, 03:41 AM
Traffic

http://www.importdriver.com.au/News2.htm

not sure how old this is, but it is some more info.
Well, the 5000GT looks nice, but I'm sure it's an impossible dream, considering it's supposed to be sporting a V12.

I'd like to see Toyota get back to its roots with a new car in the vein of the 2000GT. It just makes no sense for your flagship to be the Land Cruiser. Then again, a new Supra would cannabalize sales of the SC430, unless it remains in the low $30K range.

Still and all, this is a lot of hype and circumstance over a car that doesn't exist, and may not even be built.
Old 08-02-2002, 06:13 AM
Infiniti-WTO

Well lets get to the point. Toyota has no need to build the Supra, fools will be feels and that is why toyota is selling everything they make. what would be the point in them wasting the money. Nobody thinks of performance when they think of toyota. yet they sell like hotcakes. The only reason i see them building one is because of their venture into F1. Damn i wish Nissan would partake in F1 so much.
Old 08-02-2002, 07:07 AM
rai

Originally posted by Infiniti-WTO
Well lets get to the point. Toyota has no need to build the Supra, fools will be feels and that is why toyota is selling everything they make. what would be the point in them wasting the money. Nobody thinks of performance when they think of toyota. yet they sell like hotcakes.
Well I think toyota has a plan to build a car for every nitch like the VW group. I Think in the USA they are interested in replacing chrysler in the big three. If the Z takes off as well as we are expecting I think Toyota will build a car for that nitch, no need to leave the Z all alone in this nitch. Look at how toyota is covering the truck/SUV/minivan market. The miata had a market all to itself before the MR-2.

You said what is the point of wasting money? Well the MR-2 is not exactly a mainstream toyota car/truck/suv/van. If they were only interested in core products there would be no MR-2 or SC430. These cars sell in far fewer numbers than anything else they make.

The Supra in my opinion would do nice as a halo car for toyota and would skim off the top of the Z market that is the high profit track/touring so figure to start at $37K up to $47K just south of the vette, they could probably sell 10-15K a year.

There are a lot of Z buyers that could spend more than the $36K top of the line track. If there were a hot version with say 333hp NA (like the M3) I would spring for it even if it were in the low 40's. I would consider the supra if it were here for 40 something.
Old 08-05-2002, 03:49 AM
christurismohk

more pictures i found
Old 08-05-2002, 04:29 AM
sschmuve

That blue Supra there looks like a direct rip off of the original (99?) Z concept.
Old 08-24-2002, 05:20 PM
Ricky
Banned

I've seen the pictures of what the 2004 Supra will look like, it's ugly as hell. It looks like the new M45 Infiniti. It's just gross. Second, it won't be able to be released in 2004, they want it out by then, but you'll see they will have late production and it will be out by 2005. Plus, expect a huge price difference. Not only that, the only reason the orginal supra was so popular was because of the compression ration, unless this new 2004 supra has a compress of 9.5:1 or less, it won't be as popular.
Old 08-24-2002, 05:43 PM
Flyingscot

There's one thing we can at least say with a degree of confidence: People who want a true sports car at a reasonably affordable price are going to have a lot of choice once again. Long live the sports car!

And personally, ONE LESS SUV or MINIVAN on the road will be a sight for sore eyes. I'm really bored of looking at big square vehicles everywhere. While these vehicles have there place, I find people too "Lemming" like for my likings.

What ever happened to individuality, style and finesse. Bigger is NOT always better. Talking from a European point of view, it appears that too many Americans think bigger IS better.

We have people working for my company that drive to work every day (read "office in a City area") in F250's. Why does anyone need a bloody F250 unless they own a Farm or Business?

Am I alone here, or do others share my frustration?

Quick Reply: 350Z Fighter