2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please need some help here guys.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 05:33 PM
Nismo 350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please need some help here guys.

Hey everyone. This August, I will be heading over to the East Coast for med school. I will not be taking the Z with me so its going to stay at home here in So. Cal. I need to know what I must do if I am going to store the car and not drive it say...4-5 months. I will be coming back in Dec. and the only person I know who might use it is my dad. But thats going to be a very slim chance since he drives a SUV. So what do I need to do to store the car? I have searched and it seems the only thing needed is disconnecting the battery correct? Do I need to empty the gas tank or drain any other fluids? I know its wise to change the oil upon return which I will do. Should I change the oil before storing it? And is a gas stabilizer really neccesary? I can tell my dad to start it once a week and drive around the block every now and then. But would the seals break down? Car has about 25k miles on it. Thanks for any and all help guys. I will appreciate it.

Last edited by Nismo 350z; 07-20-2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:34 PM
Nismo 350z

Bump.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:54 PM
MulhollandDrive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would fill the gas tank. This reduces the chances of water condensing on the sides of the tank and mixing in with the gas.

Personally I drive my spare car once a week, long enough to warm up the engine and circulate the water in the radiator and fluids through the transmission and rear diff.

If the car is just going to sit there, then disconnecting the battery seems like a good idea. You could also put the car up on "blocks" to get it off the tires. In the olden days, we would pull the plugs and squirt some oil in the cylinders and then turn the motor over without starting the engine. Animals may move in so you may want to take some precautions noted below.

http://autorepair.about.com/od/carcare/a/storecar.htm
Old 07-20-2007, 08:12 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

100% i will disconnect battery first, and just take it too shop and check everything before u leave.
and when u come back, straight take it to shop check everything again.
i don't think u don't really have to check fuel and other stuff, if u gonna leave there about 4~5 months.

well good luck with u bro.
u gonna miss ur Z !!
Old 07-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Nismo 350z

Originally Posted by xhooniex83
100% i will disconnect battery first, and just take it too shop and check everything before u leave.
and when u come back, straight take it to shop check everything again.
i don't think u don't really have to check fuel and other stuff, if u gonna leave there about 4~5 months.

well good luck with u bro.
u gonna miss ur Z !!
Well its going to be in the garage the whole time I am gone. I know I am going to miss her. Ive taken such great care its gonna be lonely without her lol. But is it neccesary to change the oil before I store it? And why remove the rims as MulhollandDrive said above?
Old 07-21-2007, 01:51 PM
Nismo 350z

Originally Posted by MulhollandDrive
I would fill the gas tank. This reduces the chances of water condensing on the sides of the tank and mixing in with the gas.

Personally I drive my spare car once a week, long enough to warm up the engine and circulate the water in the radiator and fluids through the transmission and rear diff.

If the car is just going to sit there, then disconnecting the battery seems like a good idea. You could also put the car up on "blocks" to get it off the tires. In the olden days, we would pull the plugs and squirt some oil in the cylinders and then turn the motor over without starting the engine. Animals may move in so you may want to take some precautions noted below.

http://autorepair.about.com/od/carcare/a/storecar.htm
Since the car is pretty much brand new(2004.5 with 25k miles) do I really have to follow all those procedures in the link? I am picky when it comes to this and I want her to be just fine when I get back.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Key Of Z

Have your dad drive it once in a while, but make sure that it's a long enough run to evaporate all the moisture from the exhaust. Change the oil and filter when you get back to normal driving.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:56 PM
Nismo 350z

Originally Posted by Key Of Z
Have your dad drive it once in a while, but make sure that it's a long enough run to evaporate all the moisture from the exhaust. Change the oil and filter when you get back to normal driving.
I was thinking of disconnecting the battery and just let it sit there until I get back. Good idea or not? And if I disconnect the battery...do I need to take it out?
Old 07-21-2007, 01:56 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuel stabilizer
Old 07-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Nismo 350z

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
Fuel stabilizer
See Ive heard soo many different things and searched endlessly. I dont know if I need to have a full tank or empty it all out or add a stabilizer....
Old 07-21-2007, 02:06 PM
Key Of Z

Fill the tank. It reduces condensation. Cars sit on the lot for four or five months without problems. I don't think you'll need a fuel stablizer. You certainly don't need to remove the battery. And if your dad is going to drive the car occasionally, why disconnect it at all?
Old 07-21-2007, 02:13 PM
Nismo 350z

Originally Posted by Key Of Z
Fill the tank. It reduces condensation. Cars sit on the lot for four or five months without problems. I don't think you'll need a fuel stablizer. You certainly don't need to remove the battery. And if your dad is going to drive the car occasionally, why disconnect it at all?
True. But I was thinking of letting it sit and not let him drive it. He hasnt driven stick in a while and the car might be a little low for him. So I was going disconnect the battery and just store it. If someone can answer these questions I would greatly appreciate it.
1. Oil change before I leave or after when I start her up again?
2. Do I really need to remove the rims/tires and put her on jackstands? I will be back in Dec. I dont think the tires would have any flat spots by then would they?
3. If I disconnect the battery, do I have to take out the whole thing and clean it?
4. Do I need to take the spark plugs out and oil up the cyl. walls? I know you need to do this for an older vehicle.
5. Would the brake fluid be ok or would it corrode after a while?

Thanks alot for the help everyone.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:55 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Off Topic but where are you going for med school? Emory? Medical College of GA?
Old 07-21-2007, 03:03 PM
Z350MAN04

i have stored my z for the same time, exactly 5 months. i filled the tank, i did not disconnect the battery cable, i just had my sister start it every 10 days or so for about 5 min. and since i had goodyear f1 tires over $300 a pop i filled them with nitrogen, you can do this for about 20 bucks. it was recommened by a goodyear person i know personally. my car started just fine and now all i run is nitrogen. you get better tire where.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:05 PM
Nismo 350z

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
Off Topic but where are you going for med school? Emory? Medical College of GA?
Georgetown Univ. Med School. in DC.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:17 PM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nismo 350z
True. But I was thinking of letting it sit and not let him drive it. He hasnt driven stick in a while and the car might be a little low for him. So I was going disconnect the battery and just store it. If someone can answer these questions I would greatly appreciate it.
1. Oil change before I leave or after when I start her up again?
2. Do I really need to remove the rims/tires and put her on jackstands? I will be back in Dec. I dont think the tires would have any flat spots by then would they?
3. If I disconnect the battery, do I have to take out the whole thing and clean it?
4. Do I need to take the spark plugs out and oil up the cyl. walls? I know you need to do this for an older vehicle.
5. Would the brake fluid be ok or would it corrode after a while?

Thanks alot for the help everyone.
1. Oil change after.
2. No, just get some heavy wide boards appox 1 to 1/2" thick by at least 3'X3' & drive your Z on top of each of the boards so that each tire is setting on each board.
3. Disconnect the battery & leave it or you can take it out & clean it.
4. No
5. OK
6. Would your flooring in your garage create any condensation? If so, Just lay down some heavy cardboard as an insulation or carpet.
7. I store my ZR every winter here in Ohio.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:31 PM
Nismo 350z

Originally Posted by sluggoZ
1. Oil change after.
2. No, just get some heavy wide boards appox 1 to 1/2" thick by at least 3'X3' & drive your Z on top of each of the boards so that each tire is setting on each board.
3. Disconnect the battery & leave it or you can take it out & clean it.
4. No
5. OK
6. Would your flooring in your garage create any condensation? If so, Just lay down some heavy cardboard as an insulation or carpet.
7. I store my ZR every winter here in Ohio.
Thank you very much. Garage floor is cement. Would that create any condensation?
Old 07-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Nismo 350z

Originally Posted by Z350MAN04
i have stored my z for the same time, exactly 5 months. i filled the tank, i did not disconnect the battery cable, i just had my sister start it every 10 days or so for about 5 min. and since i had goodyear f1 tires over $300 a pop i filled them with nitrogen, you can do this for about 20 bucks. it was recommened by a goodyear person i know personally. my car started just fine and now all i run is nitrogen. you get better tire where.
Right now I am on Potenza S03's. Did you keep your Z on jackstands or on wooden boards or just leave it on the floor? Is it easier to disconnect the battery or have someone start it like you did?