Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I promised myself I wouldn't....(mod bug)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007 | 11:59 AM
SniperHunter

I've been using 512s for a long time on my Maxima and I have a lot of confidence in them. Show me this thread.
Old 07-26-2007 | 12:31 PM
Z-T

100% stock here.
I don't "get" mods for the most part, but eh..to each his/her own.
Keep it stock. That way you won't be laughed at by the general public at large.
Old 07-26-2007 | 12:46 PM
Ztalker

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
I promised myself that I wouldn't mod the Z. But I can't help it for some reason. I am getting new tires for it (Falken 912s), but that doesn't really count. Ugh, now I have this sudden urge for a simple little mod - probably an intake or something. I just hope it doesn't lead to more mods purchased.

Anybody still stockin' it like I am?
you owe your Z at least a K&N dropin air filter and a stubby antenna.
Old 07-26-2007 | 12:51 PM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697
Premier Member

Mods?! What mods?! I'm rolling stock homie! Nismo...
Old 07-26-2007 | 01:01 PM
Seel

That's one thing I'd never get rid of, my polished OEM 5-spokes. Sooo sexy. If I get new rims, I'd stick with lightweight 18s, and still keep the 5-spokes.
I still think you'll have new wheels or a plan for new wheels by the end of the year...
Old 07-26-2007 | 01:20 PM
DelayedZ

I promised myself I wouldn't mod my tC anymore either, so I went out and bought a 350Z instead and traded the tC in, lol....damn modding bug :P
Old 07-26-2007 | 01:25 PM
davidv

Poop or get off the pot.
Old 07-26-2007 | 01:26 PM
AroundMyHorn

Originally Posted by Z-T
100% stock here.
I don't "get" mods for the most part, but eh..to each his/her own.
Keep it stock. That way you won't be laughed at by the general public at large.

wtf you smoking?
Old 07-26-2007 | 01:58 PM
Z-T

I personally don't see the point to mods, but like I said, to each her own.
Cease and desist.

Last edited by Z-T; 07-26-2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-26-2007 | 02:17 PM
Chest Rockwell

I promised myself that I wouldn't mod the Z. But I can't help it for some reason. I am getting new tires for it (Falken 912s), but that doesn't really count. Ugh, now I have this sudden urge for a simple little mod - probably an intake or something. I just hope it doesn't lead to more mods purchased.

You've come to the wrong place to hang out if you looking to avoid the modding bug. I said the same thing about my Z when i bought it. 10 months and $13K later, I'm still thinking about what I'm gonna do next.

This is my love/hate relationship with my350z.com
Old 07-26-2007 | 03:05 PM
SniperHunter

Haha, I don't come here to hang out, per se. More like educate myself and help others in the process.
Old 07-26-2007 | 03:51 PM
03Platinum350z

Stockin it here! But when money comes in it will be mod city! Cant wait to take her to a road course and test her out! Anyone know any good road courses near Raleigh, NC (VA, South Carolina, etc)?!?

Jeff
Old 07-26-2007 | 04:28 PM
scmtkings4

yeah im pretty much stock right here. Put in a replica stock spoiler, changed my 04' wheels to the 06' wheels. Put in Falkens. Thats pretty much it. But i know i just want to do 2 more things. Put in a tint, and the nismo exhaust. That's pretty much all the mods i will ever do. Appearance-wise it will remain stock. But maybe one day i might put in some N/A engine mods like a plenum spacer. I dont think i would ever put in a kit tho.
Old 07-26-2007 | 04:31 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Is tint a mod really??
Old 07-26-2007 | 05:11 PM
nathanwl2004

who cares, you know you want to, just do. give in to the dark side

ps "I am your father"
Old 07-26-2007 | 05:20 PM
Spike100

Consider this Forum as a "Support Group" for Z Drivers Addicted to Mods (ZDAM). The only difference between normal support groups and the members here is that instead of helping you avoid the habit (mods), this support group encourages your habit (doing mods... spending lots of $$). Once you start doing mods, it is very difficult to stop. And, the members here keep encouraging you to go onto the next "great thing."

The first thing you will do is tire replacement (that's a natural progression since your performance tires wear out quickly). After installing new tires and seeing how much benefit you get from better tires, you will want more. You start thinking about wider tires (245/45-18" begin to look puny), and possibly new wheels on which to mount the wider tires (a 3K investment at least, and you don't care). Now, you are hooked. Your addiction begins.

So... you start thinking your clutch is worn (of course it's not) and you need a new flywheel, pressure plate, and disc. Then you decide your exhaust needs replacement (what you have is perfectly fine... sounds great, but adding a few measly horsepower is feeding the addiction, and you go for it... spending $$ for little gain).

If you go onto to modifying the engine (supercharger, turbo, etc.), your desire to have mods is not going to be easily satisfied. Now you are into spending big $$.

The great thing about the Z is that it is easily modified, and those mods are actually inexpensive when comparing the cost when buying an exotic. Selecting the right mods for a Z can actually put your car into the performance category of an exotic. Think of the Z as a platform where you can build an absolutely great car. This is one reason people buy the Base model. They want the Base model to do a full build-up, creating a great car that costs much less than buying a Porsche or Corvette.

And... I haven't mentioned the great adaptability the Z coupe provides for building a Car Entertainment System (CES). The Z provides two cavernous spaces (behind the driver and passenger seat) for equipment (CarPC, amps, satellite radio controllers, etc.), two small (but very adequate) cubbys above these spaces, a large upper/forward cubby capable of holding a 7" LCD, and a double-din slot. CES is my addiction with the Z. You have several good choices to locate SubW's, and the Z accomodates a variety of front component speakers (door pods, kick pods, standard mounting in the door, A-pillar tweeters or sail panel location). It's easy to integrate a gps with your sound system (hideaway "black box," double-din, etc.). Of course, you can do it all with a CarPC, which fits easily into the Z.

--Spike
Old 07-26-2007 | 05:23 PM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell
You've come to the wrong place to hang out if you looking to avoid the modding bug. I said the same thing about my Z when i bought it. 10 months and $13K later, I'm still thinking about what I'm gonna do next.

This is my love/hate relationship with my350z.com

Popcharger, Motordyne ISO thermal Spacer, Hotchkis Springs and Sway Bars, Fujitsubo Legalis R, JIC Y-Pipe. Ultimate Racing HFC, 2006 taillights and Shadow Grey Headlights, and 19" Volk Mercury Silver CE28's
Eh...how do you spend $13k on just the stuff you got on your sig?! I have an 03 too and I didn't even spend half your dollar amount and I even had to upgrade to Brembo brakes and rotors!
Old 07-26-2007 | 06:17 PM
Mid117

Do tires, tints, K&N filter, and a shorty antenna

cheap but noticable mods...
Old 07-26-2007 | 06:34 PM
Dmorrisjr350z

No reason to feel bad about modding the car! I personally haven't started on my Z yet... dropped about 6g's on Mt. biking stuff this year though... trade off i guess... But with my old WRX (which i modded before i had paid off..) i made myself feel better about it by making double payments while spending thousands on mods..
Old 07-26-2007 | 06:38 PM
webby350z

my Z is still stock and ive had it for a year now...i want to get nismo exhaust and nismo LM-GT4s or volks possibly. ive only been on this forum for a month maybe and i already feel the need to mod.

Quick Reply: I promised myself I wouldn't....(mod bug)