Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

shift light in your auto??

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 05:24 AM
Villa67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by md350
I'm almost always in manual mode...the only time this would be true is if you floored it from a dead stop and didn't let go. When driving around its nice to be in the gear you want and be able to upshift or downshift, to stay in gear without the computer intervening.

You might ask...then why did I get an auto? Lol..good question. I didn't really have a choice, my color was #1 priority and I never even saw an MT in my searches. However I'm not afraid to admit- I do like it much, much more than I thought I would. Its nice to not have to deal with gears in traffic (which is everywhere around me). And its nice in general to not always have to use a second foot...shifting is the same concept, just clutchless.
+1. In 2005 I got an AT Touring edition with 10k miles on it for $25,000 (could not pass on that one) which I was able to pay off in less than 2 yrs. Always drive on manual mode unless I get in a traffic jam. Also, some people have knee problems which makes an AT the best option. Just my
Old 08-23-2007, 05:56 AM
lilquazyvietboi

Originally Posted by Fairly Z
I've got an AT, too. Hey, guys. Don't hate on the AT Zs. We can always shift faster than you, no matter how hard you try! While my car's stock at the moment, I've got a buddy with an '04 Corvette, pushing 480 to the rear wheels. It's also an automatic, and he's beaten numerous cars with more power simply because the car shifts fast as hell. But, yeah, I agree there's nothing quite like a six speed. Lol... But, while a shift light is nice, it's better to just listen for it. Only instance I can think of where I'd need one is if I've got my music really loud, but that's stupid to be tackling corners while doing that anyway. If you want one, it shouldn't be very hard to hook one up to the tach.
u dont need to shift fast in normal driving... u can make a MT shift very smooth in traffic.

when u redline ur gears,.... shifting is not a complicated matter... just step and let go.... let's shift from 5->2 let's see who does it faster ok?

06 350ZR MT ... AND I GOT A NISMO TITANIUM SHIFT *** ROFLFLFLFLFLF?... no? ^_-
Old 08-23-2007, 06:34 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by lilquazyvietboi
let's shift from 5->2 let's see who does it faster ok?

06 350ZR MT ... AND I GOT A NISMO TITANIUM SHIFT *** ROFLFLFLFLFLF?... no? ^_-
let's see who wrecks their engine and/or transmission faster ok?

MT fanboys arguing like their ***** depends on their shifting ability...
Old 08-23-2007, 06:40 AM
rcdash

ahhh yes, what was this thread about - shift light, right.

FWIW a GTECH-RR has a built in shift light (and works for MT and AT ). It reads the tach signal through the electrical system so hook up is easy.

The much less expensive option is the KP technologies shift light (if you don't want any of the performance logging of the Gtech).

The UTEC also has a built in 3 stage shift light, but it doesn't work with the current firmware... though that may be fixed some day.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:59 AM
Jenna03Z

Originally Posted by blackstealthz
[/B]

Same here it all depends on a persons needs and taste i probably would of swooped up a 6speed but theres too many headaches.With nissan and their clutches that they cant seem to get right.
yeah and the auto is so much better. wait 10 years and then think about what would have caused less of a headache when your replacing your whole transmission because the electronics went out. been there..done that and it cost a ton.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:06 AM
gjoey66

Originally Posted by Fairly Z
I've got an AT, too. Hey, guys. Don't hate on the AT Zs. We can always shift faster than you, no matter how hard you try! While my car's stock at the moment, I've got a buddy with an '04 Corvette, pushing 480 to the rear wheels. It's also an automatic, and he's beaten numerous cars with more power simply because the car shifts fast as hell. But, yeah, I agree there's nothing quite like a six speed. Lol... But, while a shift light is nice, it's better to just listen for it. Only instance I can think of where I'd need one is if I've got my music really loud, but that's stupid to be tackling corners while doing that anyway. If you want one, it shouldn't be very hard to hook one up to the tach.
shift faster...yea if you are drag racing...the first time it shifts on you "fast" at the apex of a turn...you're going to be planting corn...
Old 08-23-2007, 07:11 AM
ISMSOLUTIONS

Originally Posted by gjoey66
shift faster...yea if you are drag racing...the first time it shifts on you "fast" at the apex of a turn...you're going to be planting corn...
It doesn't even take 1 brain cell to realize that MT's are best for tracking/drifting, and that AT's are best for everything else.

Rick
Old 08-23-2007, 07:20 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by gjoey66
ummm, why would you be shifting at the apex of a turn? You should've already downshifted. Most people who have never learned to properly drive a 5AT in MM mode don't really understand the strengths and weaknesses vs a MT. Let me educate you folks. The big weakness with the 5AT in MM mode is not being able to pop the clutch and slip the clutch at will. With the 5AT you are always in gear for better or worse. You can hold whatever gear you want and with a click, upshift/downshift/double downshift - no problem there. It is hard to learn to keep "clicking" in the same direction though to move through gears coming from an MT. The other very annoying issue is the shift delay (which cannot be 100% resolved without a valve body upgrade). But then the MT isn't perfect either and can be frustrating when it locks you out of gear or grinds. To each his own but it takes a lot of practice to get good at driving either...
Old 08-23-2007, 07:26 AM
ISMSOLUTIONS

Originally Posted by rcdash
To each his own but it takes a lot of practice to get good at driving either...
+100000
Old 08-23-2007, 07:29 AM
RedLine 350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since this thread is about shift light, it's quite useful on my 6mt. Had the wife practice on it because we didn't have a beater. It helped to remind her that she needs to shift it pretty soon...and at the same time, she can keep her eyes on the road.

I wouldn't mind getting an AT because it does suck driving a MT during rush hour. Nothing wrong with an AT 350z.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:38 AM
Rexy7

Originally Posted by davidv
Get a manual shift **** and a fake clutch peddle. Call it a day.
LOL
Old 08-23-2007, 08:01 AM
floppydizzle

This is truly the down fall of the entire Z community. If we aren't all insulting one another about AT vs MT its Z vs G or 03z vs 07z . Honestly the time I spend on the G forums I really don't see anywhere near as much hating going on between members. It's really sad guys, the op asked a question he didn't start a debate.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:36 AM
redlude97

I'll never understand those that buy a AT and then use it in manual mode all the time

Last edited by redlude97; 08-23-2007 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:43 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by redlude97
I'll never understand those that buy a AT and then use it in manual mode all the time
Read this thread and then perhaps you'll understand - good thing you edited before I quoted your original remark - lol.

Originally Posted by md350
You might ask...then why did I get an auto? Lol..good question. I didn't really have a choice, my color was #1 priority and I never even saw an MT in my searches. However I'm not afraid to admit- I do like it much, much more than I thought I would. Its nice to not have to deal with gears in traffic (which is everywhere around me). And its nice in general to not always have to use a second foot...shifting is the same concept, just clutchless.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:44 AM
RedLine 350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by floppydizzle
This is truly the down fall of the entire Z community. If we aren't all insulting one another about AT vs MT its Z vs G or 03z vs 07z . Honestly the time I spend on the G forums I really don't see anywhere near as much hating going on between members. It's really sad guys, the op asked a question he didn't start a debate.
Very true. Spent my most of my time in Nissanclub.com when I had a 2.5 Alty and there's more hate here amongst 350z owners than the 2.5/3.5/SER Alty.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:50 AM
rcdash

^ lol. It's not hate. Just ignorance. Nothing a little education can't fix.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Wheelman

Originally Posted by RedLine 350z
Very true. Spent my most of my time in Nissanclub.com when I had a 2.5 Alty and there's more hate here amongst 350z owners than the 2.5/3.5/SER Alty.
I think its because 70% of the people who post here are immature teenage punks in a Z daddy paid for, that think its a porsche killer. The lack of legitamate technical discussion here is disappointing coming from the corvette community....
Old 08-23-2007, 11:21 AM
alexfair

I also see too many threads were people go off on others because their parents bought them a Z. Who the **** cares, who bought what for who its none of our business.

Really after trying to read through these threads I really wish i bought a G, and i'm not saying the G is better, but on average the owner/forum members are a lot more mature.

Last edited by alexfair; 08-23-2007 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:27 AM
ISMSOLUTIONS

Of course the G is better...what are you thinking!!!
Old 08-23-2007, 11:31 AM
alexfair

Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
Of course the G is better...what are you thinking!!!

Quick Reply: shift light in your auto??