Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Looooong rant. Bodyshop F's up my Z!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 06:23 PM
fairladyz47597

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry man...i'm going through a similar situation with my wheel and the tire shop that f'd up my wheels.

i say that you insist on a new hatch. let them keep your old one. keep calling them and insisting that they replace it. don't freak out on them...just drive them nuts by calling constantly and asking them to buy you a new hatch.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:31 PM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seekanddestroy
*IF YOU DONT WANT TO READ THE WHOLE THING JUST READ THE RED. YOULL GET THE IDEA*

So, I bought my 03 Touring coupe a few weeks ago. I noticed before I bought it that the rear hatch didnt line up with the rear bumper perfectly. It was off by about an 8th of an inch. The dealership said the car is sold AS IS so they were not going to pay to have it fixed. I made a deal with them to let me take the car to a reputable body shop to determine whether the car had been in a wreck or not. The deal was that if the car was in a wreck I could take it back, but if it had not been in a wreck I would have to keep the car and fix the problem myself.

Upon inspection the body shop determined that the car had not been in a wreck but that the bracket that was mounting the rear bumper was out of adjustment. They quoted me about $300 to fix it if it needed a new bracket.

I meanwhile go back to my dealer and somehow convince them to pay for the repair (I worked these guys).

SO I drop the car off on monday and they tell me I'll have it back tuesday or wednesday at the latest. They dont get done till thursday. AND they TOTALLY screw up my rear deck lid. Apparantly they had two guys cranking on the hatch by hand trying to get it adjusted when they buckle the hatch just below the window, and put a deep dent in the lower right corner of the hatch right where the hatch makes that nice bend leading to the taillight.

So I get the call. The owner informs me that he personally caused the damage and is going to subcontract the work out to a guy that does paintless dent removal to fix my car. The first time I talk to the guy he tells me it will just take a few hours. Fine. Well he doesnt even touch it the first day. Come day 2 and he tells me hell have it done by 10AM. I call, and he says he needs a few more hours.

Slightly annoyed

Few hours pass, I call he says he still needs a few more hours. I swear to god everytime I called this dude he told me the same thing, "Man I just need a few more hours." This went on for 3 days! I didnt want to lose my head cause the dude has my car and I want him to do a good job. But man I was pissed. And he knew it too, I just never raised my voice or lost my cool.

So day three rolls around and Im Fuming!

I finally get the car back at 6PM today and upon inspecting I notice more high spots and ripples that noone else noticed apparantly. The rear hatch is f'd. The work the guy did isnt even perfect. Now Im picky as hell about my Z and I want it 100% the way it was when I brought it in. And as far as I'm concerned the only way that is gonna happen is if they buy me a new hatch.

The bodyshop wants to fix it themselves that means bondo and paint and stuff. F that right? I mean I understand that they are way in the hole on this one and buying a new hatch is the last thing they want to do since they already have to pay a ton of labor for the work that the dent guy did, but in my mind that depreciates the value of the vehicle right? Do you guys think that if they can make it acceptable that I should be happy with that or do I insist on the new hatch?

I dont want my car tied up for another week while they bondo and paint and ****. The hatch swap should only take hours right? Man Im pissed right now!

Sorry for the long rant BTW. It just sucks that I just got this car and everything has been great untill this fiasco.
What dealership was this and what bodyshop?
Old 08-12-2007, 08:27 PM
seekanddestroy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will not name the bodyshop untill this issue is dealt with. The dealer is Auburn Nissan, I have NOTHING bad to say about them thus far. They went beyond what I expect a dealership to do thus far.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:30 PM
mackie24

if the tech who fixes the damage is decent, the amount of bondo used to finish the job will be paper thin. it's not like they just fill the dent with bondo and paint over it.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:29 PM
VENOMSZ

Now why did they screw it up so bad
if they are a reputable shop?
Old 08-12-2007, 11:01 PM
CaliTouring

Originally Posted by Nero
i didnt read it, but that sucks man!
lol same here
Old 08-12-2007, 11:43 PM
z32-z33

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm positive that the hatch will not come painted, so i suggest that you let them fix it and if its not done right just keep going back until its done right.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:57 PM
seekanddestroy

Now why did they screw it up so bad
if they are a reputable shop?
They are very good. I've known these guys for years and have seen alot of cars come through. These things DO happen on occasion its just the nature of the beast. I dont really understand how it did in this perticular case especially with the owner doing the work but nonetheless it is what it is.

I'm positive that the hatch will not come painted, so i suggest that you let them fix it and if its not done right just keep going back until its done right.
^This is what Im trying to avoid. I DO NOT want to be without my car again for another week. I'll let you guys know what happens tomorrow. Wish me luck!

~seek
Old 08-13-2007, 09:46 AM
seekanddestroy

The owner of the bodyshop assured me that he would make it right no matter what. I took the liberty of calling around and I found a 350 that was in a front end accident but has a perfect rear hatch. They quoted me $572 for the hatch but it has no spoiler. My car has the stock spoiler but Im not a big fan. However I probably would rather have the stock one than none at all. If I mount the stock one off of the dented hatch will the holes have to be filled if I mount the Nismo spoiler?
Old 08-13-2007, 01:43 PM
Riyazsf

Originally Posted by Nero
i didnt read it, but that sucks man!
i tried to read it. but yea that sux
Old 08-14-2007, 09:28 AM
seekanddestroy

WOW. Im beside myself right now. Let me start at the beginning of the day, I go to my bodyshop first thing in the morning and the owner is not into getting the new hatch at all! He wants to fix the dents but when I told him that that was not what I wanted he suggested that he take some time to decide what other options we had and assured me that he wouldnt do anything that I wasnt happy with. Cool whatever. I just got off the phone with the owner of the dealership and they just told me that they have worked out a deal along with the bodyshop.

Get this,

The dealership is going to buy me a hatch from a wrecked 350Z (minor front end I guess) and the Bodyshop will install it, for free obviously. I was like, "WHAT??????" The dealership had no responsibility to buy me the new hatch other than the fact that they agreed to pay for the fix in the beginning of this fiasco! I cant believe it! I have never heard of a dealership ever doing something like this, the car was sold as is meaning that an asthetic problem like this is not a mandatory fix for a dealership. It almost brings a tear to the eye.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:19 PM
phrza81

Heres a little trick... Get shops Email address and give it to everyone you know and to those on this forum. Then have all those people Email the shop and write a letter on how they will spread the word on how horrible of a job they do or did on your car and recommend NOT to go to them for bizness. I PROMISE you they will **** their pants and give all the right parts and all the attention your car will need plus MORE... like sucky sucky haha...

I say this because my friend does it all the time when he runs into a problem with a shop. Works everytime cuz they dont wanna lose customers. haha...

God i luv good'ol fashion, "Word of Mouth".

Good Luck with those *******s! and if you want I will send a Email for you.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:29 PM
VENOMSZ

I'm glad it all worked out for you.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:34 PM
lilaznxboi08

pics????
Old 08-15-2007, 12:31 PM
seekanddestroy

The dents at this point are pretty minor. I dont think you could see them in pics but if I get time I'll try to take some. I wish I would have had my camera when I first saw the dents.

Heres a little trick... Get shops Email address and give it to everyone you know and to those on this forum. Then have all those people Email the shop and write a letter on how they will spread the word on how horrible of a job they do or did on your car and recommend NOT to go to them for bizness. I PROMISE you they will **** their pants and give all the right parts and all the attention your car will need plus MORE... like sucky sucky haha...

I say this because my friend does it all the time when he runs into a problem with a shop. Works everytime cuz they dont wanna lose customers. haha...

God i luv good'ol fashion, "Word of Mouth".

Good Luck with those *******s! and if you want I will send a Email for you.
Thanks for the input. Although no such action is warranted. The bodyshop has been great. They are taking care of the problem and if things turn out the way they told me I will be 100% satisfied.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:53 PM
seekanddestroy

Default Happy Ending!

So the debacle has finally come to a close!!!! I must say that the road was rough but It was well worth it in the end. The body shop was
great and the finished product is as good as I expected. They also really took care of me through this whole thing and were very apologetic
and accommodating despite all the frustration. Now on to the pics!

The painted door handles are HIGHLY recommended for ALL color Zs (except maybe CS). The pics do them NO justice! I love the look its 100000000X
better. I also opted to leave the stock spoiler off of the new hatch but now I know that I really want one but aftermarket for sure. I also now REALLY hate
the wheels and cant wait to get the 07s on there.The mod bug has hit in full force now! I was trying to hold strong but I am failing miserably! Let me know
what you guys think!

Last edited by seekanddestroy; 08-30-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:57 PM
SolarOrangeZ

Looks great. I am not sure if you noticed, but it looks like you wiper is missing. WTF is up with this body shop?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:27 PM
seekanddestroy

^haha yeah I forgot to mention that. Thats my fault I told them that I was getting the plug (from some dude here that never answered my PM) and since I couldnt get it in time I told them at the last second just to give it to me and I'de put it back on but then I left it at the shop on accident. Im gonna pick it up tomorrow.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:30 PM
seekanddestroy

Besides your smart *** remarks what do you think SlowerOrangeZ?
Old 08-30-2007, 11:20 PM
SolarOrangeZ

Looks great.....can't wait to see it after i get back from SC