Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z are a curse

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 05:21 PM
Nismospeed4life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dave079

No more crappy 350z videos! Now go do the Sti owners some shame with your vids.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:42 PM
VENOMSZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Z for an sti
Old 08-28-2007, 05:45 PM
Nismospeed4life

Originally Posted by VENOMSZ
Z for an sti
That's not even the worst part. He said that the reason why, was because he wanted a stock turbo in a car instead of buying a bolted one for the Z.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:34 PM
oman

Yeah I want to get a Sti tatoo on my chest! I love Sti's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-28-2007, 07:39 PM
Divergent13

Originally Posted by oman
Yeah I want to get a Sti tatoo on my chest! I love Sti's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please don't disgrace STi owners by doing that. What you need is a nice Civic DX.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:21 PM
DelayedZ

So you went from a car with sexy lines, to a car with a toilet bolted on the hood...congrats?
Old 08-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Nismospeed4life

Originally Posted by DelayedZ
So you went from a car with sexy lines, to a car with a toilet bolted on the hood...congrats?

+1 Look at these sexy lines on this Z.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:35 PM
Jabdo233

Originally Posted by Nismospeed4life
+1 Look at these sexy lines on this Z.

Cute girl, but any more pics of the Z?
Old 08-29-2007, 08:23 PM
VENOMSZ

Is it just me, but STi's and EVO's are like 80's cars?
I know that they are fast and all, possibly faster than a Z,
but they just look so boxy and square like all the 80's cars.
It just reminds me of cars that me and my pals drove around
back in high school. The Z just feels more GROWN up.
If they are faster, SO WHAT!
I just can't see myself owning either one.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:17 PM
spf4000

Oh come on, give them some credit. They do not look anything like 80's crap box cars. And like it or not, they are better performing cars than the Z (not probably).

If you don't like them, good for you. There are people who prefer performance over looks.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:22 PM
oman

I think the Z is a great car, but hard to sell bcause its a 2 seater, and it needs at least one model that comes with a twin turbo package(factory!) I as a teen, (im 24 now) I have always wanted a really fun car thats FACTORY Turbo! I bought the Z planning to do this and that to it then I realized the motor is built so well stock when you slap on bolt ons you usually stay the same or lose HP! The Sti doesnt look as cool as the Z but man it is the funnest car I have ever driven, The sound of that turbo makes me wanna carry an extra pair of shorts. And when it has a Turbo back exhaust that Boxster Motor sounds so sick! I can Talk Crap about 350Z's not that i am but I could Ive owned one for 2.5 Years! Bottom line Z fun loks better, Sti way funner and WAY way way faster than a z stock for stock!
Old 08-30-2007, 02:27 PM
spf4000

Originally Posted by oman
I think the Z is a great car, but hard to sell bcause its a 2 seater, and it needs at least one model that comes with a twin turbo package(factory!) I as a teen, (im 24 now) I have always wanted a really fun car thats FACTORY Turbo! I bought the Z planning to do this and that to it then I realized the motor is built so well stock when you slap on bolt ons you usually stay the same or lose HP! The Sti doesnt look as cool as the Z but man it is the funnest car I have ever driven, The sound of that turbo makes me wanna carry an extra pair of shorts. And when it has a Turbo back exhaust that Boxster Motor sounds so sick! I can Talk Crap about 350Z's not that i am but I could Ive owned one for 2.5 Years! Bottom line Z fun loks better, Sti way funner and WAY way way faster than a z stock for stock!
The STI has a boxer engine, not a "Boxster Engine", unless you somehow swapped in an engine from a Boxster.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:10 PM
Nismospeed4life

Originally Posted by Jabdo233
Cute girl, but any more pics of the Z?
here ya go!

Old 08-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Karma_Hunden

Yesterday I got to drive an 06 350Z & a 07 STi. The day before that, I got to drive an EVO VIII.

conclusion?

The EVO is the better car if you are more race oriented, I mean, the car's interior is ugly, but it does a reverse effect on you as you start driving fast, making the dull interior actually feel like a simple-ugly one like that of a race car...seats hug you and steering wheel is great. Iron internals that hold power pretty good. Car is great. Only drawback is that crappy-weak clutch. Just pay 700-1500 for a good one and you're set.

STi: Its an almost-racecar car. It's like if you had grabbed the EVO and made it daily driver tolerant. Everything is almost as good as the EVOs. Seats hug a bit less, wheels is a bit more fancy with the leather and stitching and feels a bit heavier, interior looks nicer, gauges look nicer and better organized with STi accents all over to give it a nice personality. Same outside. Handling is a bit sluggish compared to the EVO. It's a very reliable car, so it is probably a god daily driver.

evo felt like a detuned race car while the sti felt like a tuned street car.

06 350Z: When I got into the car, first thing I noticed, was the three center dashboard gauges staring at me, thought that was cool, the interior is great over all. I revved the car and the engine sounds nice, just as nice as the STI. The Evo sounded like any other turbo'd 4banger (just like my car sounds-look at my sig). The car is fun, rwd is fun to drive, i did donuts, drifts, etc, but all that ironically made me think how forgiving this car might be to driver error or a dangerous occation/situation where you might lose control easier than the AWD cars. So its definately a car you have to keep your eye on, since it can give you the fun rear-end shake as you punch it from a dig and the scare rear end **** if you do it wrong or it loses traction from other variables etc (same with taking curves). It's a two seater, which gives it that better look to it and more a sportier feel...I rarely get to use my rear seats, but they sure come handy when I do. I imagine it must be a bishnotch when that situation comes.

Overall, its a tough call on which car you should pick, they are somewhat different.

I need the 4 seats and the turbo. Personally, if you dont FI the Z, it doesnt move much compared to an EVO/STi with the same equivalent mods. The EVO and the STi gave me the whiplash due to the instant low end torque, while as the Z gave me upper rpm pull back. The feeling of the EVO/STi is actually more fun, the EVO feels more nimble than both, the STi and the Z are right there on pair with the edge going to the STi because its equally light but with more torque feel...fastwise? the Z wont stand a chance below 80-100mph (from a roll or a dig), on top end, if the EVO/STI hasnt pulled more than a car lenght by that time, it might be able to catch up and perhaps pass them. Handling wise, goes to the EVO, it'll leave it to the STi and the Z to fight it off. The edge might go to the STi because of the better traction and [instant] power out of the curve...the Z will reel it back in on the straight...the Evo will be long gone though lol, while as the STi understeered a bit, and the Z oversteered, the EVO just gripped...if pushed harder/beyond it's limits, it will slide, not understeer nor oversteer, just slide sideways, which is fun as fck, just like oversteer is.

Looks, go to the Z, but here in FL, a STOCK Z wont turn heads, it will get you some *** if a chick you know sees you drive one, but they dont have that "wow, look at that Z go by" factor here in [south] Florida...too many here to list...not even porsches get attention, unless its a carrera GT or the GT3. Now, the Z looks amazing once it has some exhaust and wheels. A complete different animal just like the new Mustang GT does after you add those. In the STi and Evo you can only get less ugly with cosmetic improvement(s), chucks are the only ones that can find those cars attractive, and Im not gonna lie, I do.

You gotta settle on your priorities:

Is it looks? handling? fastness (top end/speed power)? quickness (low end/speed power)?Reliability? Price? Mods responsiveness/price? practicality?

If to you:

looks>handling>reliability>out the door price>mod responsiveness/price>practicality and rather go fast that quick, then get the 350Z.

If handling>out the door price>mod responsiveness/price> practicality> looks>reliability and rather be quicker than faster...go with the EVO.

If reliability>handling>out the door price>practicality&mod response/price, and rather be quick than fast, then get the STi.

Depends in your priorities as I said, and also on what you gonna do with the car.

Do you need the 2 extra seats? do you drive more than 15K miles per year? Do you track it? does it rain/snow alot where you live? etc...answer those questions.

So that's my personal experience with these cars that I drove recently. Hope it helps, and dont flame if yall didnt like my review, that just what I thought. All cars are great all around, no bias.

Last edited by Karma_Hunden; 08-30-2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:35 PM
spf4000

Originally Posted by Karma_Hunden
The EVO and the STi gave me the whiplash due to the instant low end torque, while as the Z gave me upper rpm pull back.
Wow, that's completely the opposite to what I've experienced. The EVO is anemic below 4k. You have to keep it above that to get any real power out of the car. I do agree that the car gives you a whiplash, but only because of the turbo lag. The STI's lag isn't quite as bad, but it's still pretty gutless until 4k.

On the otherhand, the Z's strength is in the mid-range, so the car pulls nicely all the way to 5500, at which point begins to lose steam. I haven't tried the new HR engine, but from dyno charts, it looks like they've improved the upper end significantly.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:57 PM
Karma_Hunden

lag or no lag it should give you a whiplash as you enter boost range at WOT. Simply because you're going from not turbo (slow) to turbo (fast). And I was also refering to going fast...when you're about to do that, you get in boost range either by downshifting or accelerating until you get in it, THEN you will shoot out of the roll like a rocket. Try to launch the AWD system, and you will also see what I mean with whiplash...there's a little game STI/EVO/MS6 owners play to their passengers, it's called "grab the 100 bill on my dashboard as I launch...if you do, you can keep it".

There's also something called brake boosting...you can touch the brake to stay in a steady speed as you tap on the gas and accumulate boost, once the 3rd honk goes, you punch it and instead of spooling from minor boost to high boost, you are almost at mid-to high boost. And yes, Im talking from a roll not a dig. There are many things you can do with the turbo. Not to mention with a Turboback exh., intake, manual boost controller, a fuel pump and a tune, you can put an EVO IX in the low 12s, use race gas, play with tire psi's, spare tire out, etc etc and its in the 11s...drag radials? you betcha...all below 2grand (not counting installation price)...make sure to save for that clutch though. The STi I believe takes a bit more money to get there. The 350Z takes wayyyyyy more money to get there too.

Last edited by Karma_Hunden; 08-30-2007 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:04 PM
spf4000

^ I was just confused because you said low end torque in your previous post.

As far as the engine goes, the STI's stock internals/block aren't as stout as the Evo's, so it makes sense that it costs more to keep up with the Evo.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:24 PM
Karma_Hunden

Yes, the EVO has iron internals. The EVO X will have aluminum, that'll suck.

Mod for mod, the EVO IX (not the VIII, dont know how these two would stack up) will be faster than the 06 STi (or 07, even with the improved long gears). You'll be amazed how easy those Evos get to low 12s, it becomes harder to get into the mid11s or less...but to the STi's it becomes hard just to get out of 12s.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:32 PM
oman

I don't care about racing on the track, I mean don't get me wrong I will go there often and run my Sti, but just being able to plug and play with the ecu/turbo and being able to buy the Sti and not worry about... ohhh no its raining I'll spin out if I take this corner in my Z, 2 completley diffrent cars, my buddy has a 05 Evo8 with 3 grand into the car he's at 11.8 in a 1/4 mile, what Z would do that?????....NONE! Z's are great, awsome, looking and the people who drive them are usually really cool(went to alot of Z meets) But I cant keep one car, I have one life to live, I've had FWD's, I've had 4X4's, and a Rear wheel drive Z, its time for factory TURBO AWD, I love turbo cars!

Quick Reply: 350Z are a curse