Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

fuel filling problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 09:17 PM
Praz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel filling problem

so i have an 06 z and recently it was cutting off fuel while filling, like its supposed to do when full, but after only like a few gallons. i read on here that others had the same problem and eventually (dreadfully) went to the dealership. i pick the car up after they supposedly fix it. about a week later my car just stops in the best buy parking lot. come to see it was out of gas although the needle said their was a little under a half left and the little dial said i had 132 miles dte. i call the dealership upon getting home and they said to come back if it happens again. well the fuel cycles were normal again as in it would go down when i drove the car. however i was trying to get gas to today and what do you know, it stops after 4 gallons, i keep trying since i knew it was low to start with. it just keeps cutting off. now i gotta go back to the dealership and go without a car for like a week. in short: AV Nissan sucks.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:23 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Take it back to Nissan. There was a TSB for the 03-04's. You might be experiencing something similar. It needs to be looked at while your still under warantee in your case however I think.

BTW - The only perfect cars I've ever owned was a NISSAN Pathfinder and Altima. The Z had one or two minor problems and NISSAN took care of them without any issues. But, for a sports car one or two issues is unbelieveable. They are high quality cars, these Z's are. I've had six or is that seven Z's now. Anyways, out of 40 or so total new cars I've owned NISSAN makes the best out there. The only company that might have a better quality build imo would be HONDA. However, never saw a HONDA I'd like to own.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 08-24-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:55 PM
Praz

haha good point on honda. yep ill be dropping it off again in the morning. i wish i could have had the same experiences with nissan as you. the second time i drove the car after i bought, there was a major clutch problem and the car would just continuously jerk when in gear. o and the other thing is my local dealership is rude and ignorant. i know as ive heard on here how good some of the other dealerships are. but damn man thats a lot of z's lol.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:13 AM
HDPDZO6

Are you filling up at the same gas station by chance?
Old 08-24-2007, 02:27 AM
island03z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem in my 04 Z. It took about 3 tries before the dealership isolated the right problem and fixed it but now its working beautifully. My service department is great and would get me in and out of there in an hour or 2 time. Just give it some patience. Nissan really is a good company. I just came from owning 2 mitsubishis and I just thought bad service and warranty denial was a part of owning a japanese cars.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:15 AM
DIGItonium

It took three tries here as well, but it still cuts off from time to time.

The workaround is to fill up very slow and gradually get faster.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:46 AM
blck350

Zs are sensitive dont put the nozzle in more than half way

also for some reason if there are alot of cars at a gas station the fuel umps faster and the Z temds to stop when the gas comes in too quick
Old 08-24-2007, 06:10 AM
Suvlaki

i have the same problem in my '06. I dont care though. I jus' barely put the nozzle in and I watch the amount of gallons that are delivered so I don't overfill. Works for me.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:17 AM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 05 does this, it only fills up to a little over 3/4th full.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:47 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

make sure when you take it in you have less than a quarter tank and more than an 8th. If you dont have the exact amount they want they will turn you away. Cracks in the refueler hose causes pressure to build up in the tank and for it to read full before it is. Mine does it in the winter when the rubber tubing contracts due to the cold, but during the summer it free flows with no problems.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:43 AM
krazy k

I had a problem like that with my 05 but they told me just to pull the vaport lock thing( i think thats what its called) back. So far I havent had any problems anymore.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:52 PM
nismo*son

same thing happens to my 07, not a problem for me, I never put more than half tank.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:26 PM
trains1937

Received 118 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a problem with fill ups at the place where I normally go for gas. I get about 3 gallons in and it shuts down. I pull out the nozzle, cut down on the gas flow, and I can get a full tank. It seems to vary from pump to pump. Some pumps are a real pain and others are easier to use.

I've been too lazy to go to another station but finally tried another station about a week ago with 1/4 tank and the Z filled up with no problem. I wonder if this is a combination of Nissan/gas station problem? Maybe peculiar shape of filler tube? Don't know. I will try a few other stations. If they fill well I will chalk the problem up to the original service station pumps. It the fill problem persists I will bring it up to my Nissan dealer at my next oil change.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Let me add a little more here. I have never had this problem with my Z. However, I have two FORDs that do this. The work around for me has been a few different things:

1) Fill slower
2) Invert the gas pump nossle.
3) Buy a cheap funnel for use with oil changes. Make sure it has a extention and shove that in the tank. It allows for complete fills and you still seal the gas for the shutoff. Even if it kicks back and spits a little gas it's contained by the funnel itself. I'll try to post pictures for you all as soon as I get to a station. Most likely over the weekend as I'm going to a FORD truck meet / BBQ. I know .... FORD but, for me it's a good old F100 that cost little to insure, tows a couple of ton, and is cool to boot:

More later ....
Old 08-24-2007, 06:27 PM
Praz

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z
Are you filling up at the same gas station by chance?
no its happened at various brands of gas stations in various cities.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:31 PM
Praz

thanks for the tips guys... ill let you know what happens
Old 08-25-2007, 12:19 AM
truracer

My '04 Z does this usually at most gas stations except one that I know of, I just put my nozzle in upside and fill up and it will fill up all the way to full.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:42 AM
roast

This problem has been documented to death. Use the search feature.

My Z had this problem very badly. In 1 year I think I got a full tank maybe twice... it really sucked during winter because I didn't want to get gas more often than need be. All these half baked explanations and cockamamie snake oil remedies are bs. Take it to the dealer and have them fix it. The issue is with the shutter valve. There is a TSB for the issue.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:11 AM
zdotcom

I had the same problem but it is isolated to one gas station.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:31 AM
Villa67

Originally Posted by Z_Driver
Let me add a little more here. I have never had this problem with my Z. However, I have two FORDs that do this. The work around for me has been a few different things:

1) Fill slower
2) Invert the gas pump nossle.
3) Buy a cheap funnel for use with oil changes. Make sure it has a extention and shove that in the tank. It allows for complete fills and you still seal the gas for the shutoff. Even if it kicks back and spits a little gas it's contained by the funnel itself. I'll try to post pictures for you all as soon as I get to a station. Most likely over the weekend as I'm going to a FORD truck meet / BBQ. I know .... FORD but, for me it's a good old F100 that cost little to insure, tows a couple of ton, and is cool to boot:

More later ....
I was having the same problem and I did the "invert the gas pump nossle" one time and have not had the same problem again.

Quick Reply: fuel filling problem