Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I applaud you MT drivers. I really do...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 09:56 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Strider619
the 07 is my first MT, so I don't have any idea how other clutches feel out there. I can drive her all day long though. On the contrary, I've had a couple of instances where I was really struggling to stay awake with the AT (my beater, 96 maxima). MT really does keep you on your toes, that and the Z is freagin fun to drive, no way you'll fall asleep with this car.
I don't understand how some of you are saying you would fall asleep? Are you going at a steady pace on a highway where you get bored and fall asleep? Both auto and manual would be in a gear where no shifting would be involved at a highway speed.

And if you are driving around town, having a manual or auto, don't you stay awake by all the turns and stop lights?

Just wondering.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:06 PM
Strider619

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350
I don't understand how some of you are saying you would fall asleep? Are you going at a steady pace on a highway where you get bored and fall asleep? Both auto and manual would be in a gear where no shifting would be involved at a highway speed.

And if you are driving around town, having a manual or auto, don't you stay awake by all the turns and stop lights?

Just wondering.

I should have mentioned that it's on an empty freeway around 2am, usually heading back home from my girls pad. I'm usually wide awake by the time I get on the freeway with the Z (I just love the exhaust). My beater however, is another whole story.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:08 PM
Guy the Larry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LA traffic ftfl
Old 08-26-2007, 10:10 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z_Driver
Lol - Oh you mean like this:

Works for me .....
full race cars don't count

Does that car have a transbrake?
Old 08-26-2007, 10:12 PM
H.C.I.C.

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
I went to the Nissan dealership, the same one I got my Z from, because my girlfriend wants a Sentra. After we finished talking about the Sentra, I asked if I could check out one of the 07s they had in the lot. They had a SMB Enthusiast demo on the lot, had something like 1100 miles on it.

Anyways, I've driven a number of 6spd Zs, and between the model years I couldn't really feel any big improvements. Shifting was like pushing a stick through a bag of rocks and the clutch was too heavy (more so than a sports car should be). So after driving the 07 and realizing not much has changed, it got me thinking that you guys have ***** and a ton of patience.

I could never tolerate such a transmission, since the Z is my DD. I just can't go a day without driving it, I really can't. When I was in Santa Monica on business in July, the one thing I missed the most was my car - over my gf, and family. I bet I'm not the only one, too.

Anyways, to me the manual mode is plenty of fun. But I know to you purists that clutch means everything. So my hats go off to you guys. I don't know how you do it, especially those who DD their Z, but it sure as hell does take some incredible patience.

/end girly man rant

You should drive or go test drive a porsche 911. The clutch is extremely stiff to press down on.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:12 PM
cwestrx7

I don't think the Z is the easiest car to drive smooth if you are not used to driving it, so maybe it seems harder than it really is.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:17 PM
Z_Driver
Master

full race cars don't count

Does that car have a transbrake?
Yup .... and a line lock in the shift handle. Light on column is for line lock.

Street and Strip car:

Transbrake is nice in the steering wheel. Two hands on the wheel coming out of the hole is nice.

The only part that sucks is shelling out for 110-118 gas for the street.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 08-26-2007 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:18 PM
KG350Z

Just wondering.

Had to drive my buddies auto ford focus an hour or two ago and fell asleep three times in 30 minutes i drove it. Don't know how if it's possible in a Z, but its very possible!
Old 08-26-2007, 10:25 PM
gsazabi

and the clutch was too heavy (more so than a sports car should be)
Negative. Z clutch is soft as hell..maybe exception of 03s.
I'm guessing your left leg would probably break if you try any of the racing clutches many of us have
Old 08-26-2007, 10:28 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Speaking of Porshes - I'd love to get one of these someday:

Ahhaaaa .... I'd trade in the Z for it.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:30 PM
SniperHunter

I guess the Z is stiff compared to what I've driven in the past (S2000s, Civics, TLs, 05 Mustang, 06 GTO, Mini S, M3). I personally thought the GTO had the best transmission.

Haha, I'd love to drive a 911, if they'd let me.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:34 PM
gsazabi

I guess the Z is stiff compared to what I've driven in the past (S2000s, Civics, TLs, 05 Mustang, 06 GTO, Mini S, M3). I personally thought the GTO had the best transmission.

Haha, I'd love to drive a 911, if they'd let me.
I've driven S2k, Civics, Mini S, and some Bimmers, and Z clutch is NOT stiff compared to them..and 06s and 07s have even softer clutch than the previous models.

I've recently driven my cousin's friend's 996 Carrera. I've always heard clutch on Porsches is heavy as hell, but it wasn't heavy at all. Maybe cuz I'm just used to my JWT clutch
Old 08-26-2007, 10:38 PM
Z_Driver
Master

The tranny in the GTO is like my F-Bird. They are great when new. Start pounding on them and the brake fluid boils. Make sure you change that fluid to HI-TEMP SYNTHETIC stuff or you'll start smoking syncros and other stuff.
Experience. If you keep clean fluid and put a Dual Friction CF in there you'll start twisting shafts before the tranny. Bad disengagement .... tranny starts to go. I love my Bird transmission... But, even with my short throw the Z is a shorter shift from the factory. Throw a short throw in the Z and it's stupid short. Too bad the ones I've tried vibrate too much. Need to get the NISMO Adjustable one I think.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:40 PM
zpak

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Shifting was like pushing a stick through a bag of rocks and the clutch was too heavy (more so than a sports car should be).
I don't know if this is your personal impression/view on the Z's manual transmission or if the car you drove was just a bum sample (i.e. they let you drive one with a bad tranny).

"Stick through a bag of rocks" is as far from the shifter's nature as possible. It's short-throw, notchy, snickety-snick, tight. Clutch feel is springy and sharp, not much different than most sports car transmissions I've driven (in many cases, much better).
Old 08-26-2007, 10:47 PM
z32-z33

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When i first test drove my 06 Z i was shocked at how soft the clutch pedal was, My 300zx clutch was a lot stiff than my 06 and i use to drive my 300zx to Frisco every friday during rush hour, it took about 1 and a half hour to drive 25 miles going I-80w.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:49 PM
Z_Driver
Master

If you keep a little gas in when you shift it will not be so notchy for those of you that don't know. This car was built to be under throttle during acceleration.
I like them that way. In traffic you'll notice the notchiness a little more cause you'll upshift without supplying a bit of gas at times.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:50 PM
n1sm0r

Damn, you're giving us WAY too much credit.

This clutch is nothing compared to my 240 where I had a spec stage 2 clutch. My left leg got twice the size of my right because the pressure plate was like stepping on a rock
Old 08-26-2007, 10:52 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by z32-z33
When i first test drove my 06 Z i was shocked at how soft the clutch pedal was, My 300zx clutch was a lot stiff than my 06 and i use to drive my 300zx to Frisco every friday during rush hour, it took about 1 and a half hour to drive 25 miles going I-80w.
Same here:

Even my 200SX.... for the money that was a cool car:

Now that's going back a number of years and Nissans.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:56 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by n1sm0r
Damn, you're giving us WAY too much credit.

This clutch is nothing compared to my 240 where I had a spec stage 2 clutch. My left leg got twice the size of my right because the pressure plate was like stepping on a rock
Tru Dat !!!!
Old 08-26-2007, 11:09 PM
DManator

I can't believe some of you are complaining about the stiffness of the clutch. It feels really light to me, my 04 Hyundai Tiburon GT had a stiffer clutch than the Z.

Quick Reply: I applaud you MT drivers. I really do...