Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I applaud you MT drivers. I really do...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Is this another AT vs. MT thread? If so, it's like arguing politics and religion.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Kegsbane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike100
Is this another AT vs. MT thread? If so, it's like arguing politics and religion.
Spike, your religion BLOWS!!!

OMG!
Old 08-27-2007, 04:01 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by Kegsbane
Spike, your religion BLOWS!!!

OMG!
Couldn't have said it better.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:04 PM
DevinB

Originally Posted by Jenna03Z
it's better than an auto where you have to keep your foot on the brake.
I agree 100%. If traffic is bad, pull your feet back and wait. If traffic is bad on a hill, just let off the brake and let that ***** roll. When i drive my moms Rendezvous in traffic i have to hold the brake all the time.

Both have their positives/negatives. But I would never trade my mt for an auto. Where is the fun in that? I wish they never released an auto Z in the first place. Takes away from the true nature of the car. My brother got an auto Z back in 03 when they first came out. He loved that car until the day i brought home my 03 6mt. He has regretted it ever since...
Old 08-27-2007, 04:08 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by DevinB
I wish they never released an auto Z in the first place.
If you did not buy an AT, why do you wish this? Do you have a problem with other people's choice in autos? Does the transmission choice made by others really bother you that much?
Old 08-27-2007, 04:13 PM
DevinB

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z
If you did not buy an AT, why do you wish this? Do you have a problem with other people's choice in autos? Does the transmission choice made by others really bother you that much?
No not at all. Choose whatever transmission you see fit for your lifestyle. Think about other cars that are only offered in MT (STi, s2000, Evo, etc). There is a reason these cars are only offered in said transmission and that is because they are performance cars.

If you wanted a car to be lazy in go buy a caddy.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:15 PM
HDPDZO6

There is a reason these cars are only offered in said transmission and that is because they are performance cars.
So if a vehicle does not have a clutch pedal, it isn't a performance car? Is that your stance?
Old 08-27-2007, 04:17 PM
Tubbs

No probs with autos! If more people can enjoy them, and Nissan can be rewarded for building a great car, more power to 'em!
Old 08-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by Spike100
Okay to quote your own quote... for emphasis?

The OP's initial question was a "setup."

--Spike
Old 08-27-2007, 04:26 PM
DevinB

No, i guess i shouldnt have worded it that way because there are plenty of performance cars with paddle shifters, SMG, and automatic transmissions for that matter. I will say i disagree with them not having a traditional manual transmission even though in some cases the paddle shifters, smg, or automatics may indeed be faster than a traditional manual.

I think the fun in owning these kinds of cars with a traditional mamual transmission is all about driver interaction and involvement with the car itself. It is a lot more fun to be in control of the revs and gear. Its fun to get it down to precise formula where the car feels like an extension of yourself. Its fun to test/trial different launching techniques to find out what is the optimum way to launch a specific car. Its fun to practice downshifting into corners and rev matching yourself.

Why would you want a computer to do everything for you? I think it dulls the experience. Even if a computer can do everything faster than you can, which in many cases it does, where is the fun in that? Im sure there are plenty of cars that offer both MT and AT, where the AT is faster in a straight line. Again where is the fun in that?

Last edited by DevinB; 08-27-2007 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:28 PM
Tubbs

No, i guess i shouldnt have worded it that way because there are plenty of performance cars with paddle shifters, SMG, and automatic transmissions for that matter. I will say i disagree with them not having a traditional manual transmission even though in some cases the paddle shifters, smg, or automatics may indeed be faster than a traditional manual.

I think the fun in owning these kinds of cars is all about driver interaction and involvement with the car itself. It is a lot more fun to be in control of the revs and gear. Its fun to get it down to precision where the car feels like an extension of yourself. Its fun to test/trial different launching techniques to find out what is the optimum way to launch a specific car. Its fun to practice downshifting into corners and rev matching yourself.

Why would you want a computer to do everything for you? I think it dulls the experience. Even if a computer can do everything faster than you can, which in many cases it does, where is the fun in that? Im sure there are plenty of cars that offer both MT and AT, where the AT is faster in a straight line. Again where is the fun in that?

As much as I agree with you, releasing a manual only car is suicide for a manufacturer, in most cases.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:33 PM
DevinB

Originally Posted by Tubbs
As much as I agree with you, releasing a manual only car is suicide for a manufacturer, in most cases.
Very true its all about money and there is more to be made when you offer a car in both transmissions.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:33 PM
98sr20ve

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
I went to the Nissan dealership, the same one I got my Z from, because my girlfriend wants a Sentra. After we finished talking about the Sentra, I asked if I could check out one of the 07s they had in the lot. They had a SMB Enthusiast demo on the lot, had something like 1100 miles on it.

Anyways, I've driven a number of 6spd Zs, and between the model years I couldn't really feel any big improvements. Shifting was like pushing a stick through a bag of rocks and the clutch was too heavy (more so than a sports car should be). So after driving the 07 and realizing not much has changed, it got me thinking that you guys have ***** and a ton of patience.

I could never tolerate such a transmission, since the Z is my DD. I just can't go a day without driving it, I really can't. When I was in Santa Monica on business in July, the one thing I missed the most was my car - over my gf, and family. I bet I'm not the only one, too.

Anyways, to me the manual mode is plenty of fun. But I know to you purists that clutch means everything. So my hats go off to you guys. I don't know how you do it, especially those who DD their Z, but it sure as hell does take some incredible patience.

/end girly man rant
I don't know what the hell you are talking about. Maybe the G35 6MT is better but I SERIOUSLY doubt it. Are you referring to the 07 only? Because if you are lumping the 06 (which I have) into the mix then you must be a serious wimp. I mean damn my wife doesn't even complain and she is picky. Clutch takes about 1 drive to get used to and then it's just fine. Only issue either of us have with the MT is the stupid heavy flywheel that freewheels really badly at high RPMS. But you just ignore it and enjoy the car anyway. If Nissan didn't make the 6MT I would have bought a BMW more then likely. God I cringe at that thought. I am so sick of German cars.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:34 PM
kvp35

lol I hate AT, my first car a hand me down Accord was Auto and it was boring as hell, second car manual and Im hooked. I agree in the city it sucks (I live in Baltimore) which for anyone that hasn't been = ****ty *** roads and traffic. Although I do hop on I95 and hit the triple digits...there always seems to be a STI, G, something to **** around with...
Old 08-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z
So if a vehicle does not have a clutch pedal, it isn't a performance car? Is that your stance?
There are different levels of Performance---Iv built Vettes with Stroked 383s 3.31 Ratios and 700R4s Wicked off the line and wicked Top end.
On the other hand, Some cars are built more performance handling ----High Reving, high 3s and 4.0s Ratios and MT for more control in cornering. Personal Opinion
Old 08-27-2007, 04:42 PM
tom76z05

AT...........I'm just along for the ride! Might as well be back in the Dodge Caravan.......

MT...........I'm driving the car and controlling my destiny! LOL

(actually drove an '07 with AT.....still mighty sweet!)
Old 08-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Spike100

Your statement is wise. Having a Z with only a MT is marketing error. Adding an AT to the line greatly expands the potential base of buyers.

Certainly having a semi-automatic alleviates the problem (and may be a solution for all buyers as it is with some high-end sports cars), but this is an expensive transmission.

Nissan's solution (MT and AT with "manual mode") is the best marketing stance that makes the car appealing to the most number of buyers.

--Spike
Old 08-27-2007, 04:52 PM
keniff536

lol. It takes awhile to get used to autos!
I don't know how those AT guys do it, their left foot must go numb just sitting there.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Jestasia

hehe i just started learning manual its soo fun1! cant believe i used to drive autos.. lol disgusting hehe
Old 08-27-2007, 05:38 PM
VENOMSZ

Shift.

Quick Reply: I applaud you MT drivers. I really do...