Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I applaud you MT drivers. I really do...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 09:30 AM
Built2shredZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
Anyways, I've driven a number of 6spd Zs, and between the model years I couldn't really feel any big improvements. Shifting was like pushing a stick through a bag of rocks and the clutch was too heavy (more so than a sports car should be).

I could never tolerate such a transmission, since the Z is my DD.

I've driven a number of Porsches and there clutches are just as heavy. I think its the norm with sports cars when you start getting over a certain amount of HP and Torque... If you had a light clutch like a Honda Civic on a 350z you would probably need a new clutch every 10k miles.

I went from a 2000 prelude 5MT to the G35 Sedan 6MT (same clutch as the 350z) and I was like whoah this thing is heavy, but after a few weeks it felt normal, then I drove my nephews Civic 5MT and the clutch felt like a hot knife through butter, it felt non existent, was a weird feeling. So basically you get used to whatever you drive.

I do agree that the 350z shifter could be a tad less notchy.

Last edited by Built2shredZ; 08-27-2007 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:32 AM
Tubbs

It's what separates the men from the boys.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:33 AM
dkmesa350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to the Nissan dealership, the same one I got my Z from, because my girlfriend wants a Sentra. After we finished talking about the Sentra, I asked if I could check out one of the 07s they had in the lot. They had a SMB Enthusiast demo on the lot, had something like 1100 miles on it.

Anyways, I've driven a number of 6spd Zs, and between the model years I couldn't really feel any big improvements. Shifting was like pushing a stick through a bag of rocks and the clutch was too heavy (more so than a sports car should be). So after driving the 07 and realizing not much has changed, it got me thinking that you guys have ***** and a ton of patience.

I could never tolerate such a transmission, since the Z is my DD. I just can't go a day without driving it, I really can't. When I was in Santa Monica on business in July, the one thing I missed the most was my car - over my gf, and family. I bet I'm not the only one, too.

Anyways, to me the manual mode is plenty of fun. But I know to you purists that clutch means everything. So my hats go off to you guys. I don't know how you do it, especially those who DD their Z, but it sure as hell does take some incredible patience.

/end girly man rant
I miss my car more than I should also. If the 6 speed was really as bad as you perceive it, there wouldn't be many people buying them...but if you like the automatic better, that works for you. lol at girly man rant
Old 08-27-2007, 09:39 AM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eazzzzzzy
People that look at MTs as Exotic Options and make a very simple component into rocket science have problems and sometimes never overcome them. Complicating things by "double clutching", speed shifting, What RPMs should I shift at ? Shift matching ??? turns a simple gearbox into a phobia and chances are will remain so.
Right!

I learned to drive MT back when almost everyone drove a MT. I guess we just never realized its so complicated.

Step on the clutch, select the gear, release the clutch. Repeat as necessary.

bill
Old 08-27-2007, 10:55 AM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I gotta give it up to some of you more well-rounded A/T drivers.
You guys made a choice and ignored all the flaming from some of us MT guys.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:58 AM
thefastestz

Originally Posted by vooper
How do you put up with the delayed throttle response? The whole car feels soggy!

And not being able to enjoy the satisfaction of throwing a good rev-matched downshift going into a corner, sometimes coming out with a little tail wiggle at higher revs?

What about when you abruptly put your foot down and you have to wait a second before the ECU realizes that a downshift is necessary to match your intentions?

Honestly, I feel that a manual transmission is essential to the sports car driving experience. Love that snick-snack shifting through the gears feeling!

1+
Old 08-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Bolaz

I hump my clutch everyday, and love everey single second of it....
Old 08-27-2007, 11:10 AM
Nalizan

Originally Posted by Wheelman
The shifter doesn't really come off as notchy nor the clutch heavy to me. I just wish the engagement wasn't so damn high!

Clutch engagement has been my only complaint thus far with the Z. I wonder if going to after market clutch helps any or if it would just make it stiffer with same engagement
Old 08-27-2007, 11:11 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Grew up in the Logging business---When I was 12 my Uncle put me behind the wheel of an International, pulling a gooseneck, with a Cat D-7 Dozer on it. IN the WINTER, way the Hell in the Woods, and said....Drive. I kept sliding sideways up the hills. Put it in reverse and did it again AND again AND again. If I hadnt driven it out of there, we would still be there. I could drive a stick but never with a load. Thats how we learned Stick.

DAMN.........Im late for my appointment with my Therapist

Last edited by Eazzy; 08-27-2007 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:15 AM
Blu_Blur

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to the Nissan dealership, the same one I got my Z from, because my girlfriend wants a Sentra. After we finished talking about the Sentra, I asked if I could check out one of the 07s they had in the lot. They had a SMB Enthusiast demo on the lot, had something like 1100 miles on it.

Anyways, I've driven a number of 6spd Zs, and between the model years I couldn't really feel any big improvements. Shifting was like pushing a stick through a bag of rocks and the clutch was too heavy (more so than a sports car should be). So after driving the 07 and realizing not much has changed, it got me thinking that you guys have ***** and a ton of patience.

I could never tolerate such a transmission, since the Z is my DD. I just can't go a day without driving it, I really can't. When I was in Santa Monica on business in July, the one thing I missed the most was my car - over my gf, and family. I bet I'm not the only one, too.

Anyways, to me the manual mode is plenty of fun. But I know to you purists that clutch means everything. So my hats go off to you guys. I don't know how you do it, especially those who DD their Z, but it sure as hell does take some incredible patience.

/end girly man rant

Girly man is right!

Personally, I love the way my tranmission feels and the resistance of the clutch. I mean, I know my tranny doesn't shift as smooth as an S2000's but it still is nice and reassuring and I love how defined the shift gates are.

As for the clutch, it was my first stick shift car EVER but I drove it fine and I have gotten used to it but it also helps that I have strong legs.

My Z isn't a daily driver but I could drive it daily in L.A. / O.C. traffic if I needed to.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:17 AM
07-Zman
Banned

The Z clutch is very light. Work out you calf muscle for heavens sake! I came from a 03 cobra that was like moving a bowling ball up hill.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:56 AM
Built2shredZ

Originally Posted by vooper
How do you put up with the delayed throttle response? The whole car feels soggy!
Can be fixed with a Stillen Throttle body

And not being able to enjoy the satisfaction of throwing a good rev-matched downshift going into a corner, sometimes coming out with a little tail wiggle at higher revs?
The 05-07's have rev matching when down shifting in the Auto and its pretty easy to get the auto Z to kick its back end out going around a corner. My brother is always doing it in his Auto 350z

What about when you abruptly put your foot down and you have to wait a second before the ECU realizes that a downshift is necessary to match your intentions?
again fixed with a Stillen Throttle body

Honestly, I feel that a manual transmission is essential to the sports car driving experience. Love that snick-snack shifting through the gears feeling!
It's a double edge sword, racing or going up mountain roads is fun, driving in LA traffic during rush hour sucks.

Last edited by Built2shredZ; 08-27-2007 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:25 PM
Jenna03Z

Originally Posted by 07-Zman
The Z clutch is very light. Work out you calf muscle for heavens sake! I came from a 03 cobra that was like moving a bowling ball up hill.
lol. I agree. ya'll need to suck it up

and driving in traffic isn't that bad..it's better than an auto where you have to keep your foot on the brake.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:32 PM
NGZ

Originally Posted by bailey bill
Right!

I learned to drive MT back when almost everyone drove a MT. I guess we just never realized its so complicated.

Step on the clutch, select the gear, release the clutch. Repeat as necessary.

bill
I just wanted to point out that making an MT car move is not the same as driving an MT car well.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Devil Z

Hmmm I drive my car everywhere and manual is more fun and enjoyable. I live in Seattle too we have terrible traffic.

I don't know how you can say you love to driver your car everyday and would hate a manual? I just cannot comprehend that . . . . GG . . .
Old 08-27-2007, 02:39 PM
lilquazyvietboi

/end girly man rant
da *** are you smoking... the Z's clutch is soooo much lighter than my friends car: 06 EVO MR, STI 07, STI 05, EVO 8, Base impreza 06, 06 rsx-s (rsx got shorter and lighter clutch though).... they all have heavier clutch AND shifting... after driving my friends car, and drove my own... i realized... how much easier things are in the 350z. The 350z though.. DOES have a pickier drive train, u gotta be close to perfect to have smooth shift.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:42 PM
ohSIXz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 98 civic clutch felt a slight bit softer than the Z. my dads a4 is MUCH SOFTER. my moms protege5 is like pushing down a feather. ive driven a 02 328 bimmer before and that clutch felt like my moms protege5.

i cant wait to get the jwt clutch/flywheel!

oh, on saturday i went to the diamondbacks game and was in traffic for like over an hour, the next day at work it looked like i got raped in the butt. i could barely walk. probably the longest ive been in traffic to date with the Z.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Kegsbane

I never thought of the car as being very difficult to drive.

Skills FTW.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:43 PM
keniff536

I can't even drive an AT. My gf tried to teach me, but I kept stopping in the middle of traffic because I would step on the brake with my left foot every time the car reached 20mph.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by keniff536
I can't even drive an AT. My gf tried to teach me, but I kept stopping in the middle of traffic because I would step on the brake with my left foot every time the car reached 20mph.

lol. It takes awhile to get used to autos!

Quick Reply: I applaud you MT drivers. I really do...