2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Rocks + Driving 70MPH = BAD NEWS

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 12:47 PM
pony_killer
Arada ninda apa

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rocks + Driving 70MPH = BAD NEWS

So I was on the way to school this morning, driving about 70MPH and was behind a Mercedes who had a Ford F-150 in front of him...I heard a loud pop sound come from the front so I thought, oh great there goes a rock hitting up my front bumper...didn't think anything of it and went on my way. Anyways, after I got out of class and got into my car, I noticed a crack on my front windshield from the bottom middle going halfway up I was so upset because my car is flawless and this was the firs time I ever drove it to my college (University of Houston - Downtown). I usually take my civic but I'm having some window problems with it and didn't want a chance of rain getting inside of it. Anyways I called a few places and got quoted between $225 - $300 to replace the windshield with a new one. Is that to much or can anyone recommend a better place to get it fixed? I don't want my insurance to pay for it since its only a couple of hundred, I can easily pay for it...but I just wanna make sure I'm not getting screwed. Oh and I forgot my dress shoes for work and I was wearing sneakers...now I'm stuck wearing canary yellow scrubs My week started out pretty ****ty.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:54 PM
gsazabi

Sorry to hear that..I have no idea a new windshield costs so can't help you there.
Have pics?
Old 08-27-2007, 12:57 PM
SolarOrangeZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, even though you can afford it, why not go through the insurance company? You can use the few hundred somewhere else. Shouldn't comprehensive cover this? Won't raise your premiums is you use comprehensive right, just gotta pay the deductible.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:00 PM
pony_killer
Arada ninda apa

I'll take some pics tonight after I get off work. If my deductible is more then how much it cost to fix the windshield, then why should I go through my insurance? For example...windshield replacement $300...my deductible $500...which would I rather pay?
Old 08-27-2007, 01:00 PM
gsazabi

His deductable might be higher than the cost of repairing it himself..
Old 08-27-2007, 01:06 PM
jgregory124

U got lucky, I was on my why to VA beach and an 18 wheeler when the truck started raining rocks I was not close to him at all I tried to avoid the rocks but could not, Ive had it fixed by insurance and it still is not the same headlights are chipped and wheels still scratched front bumper and hood and roof had to be painted and it still is not the same. I love my car and will not give it up over this so you are lucky my car was flawless too
Old 08-27-2007, 01:15 PM
dnoval33510

Lightbulb

Check with your insurance company, I know here in FL they will fix your windshield for free (no deductible) if the crack impairs your vision, but you have to go through your insurance company to get the work done. If you just call a glass company they will charge you to replace it.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:17 PM
rkemp1

Im not sure what insurance you have but many insurers now offer different rules and deductibles for glass claims. I used to have geico and they offered free auto glass claims and some other companies will have like 50 or 100$ deductibles. I would at least look at your policy to see if its available. You might save a few hundred bux.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:29 PM
pony_killer
Arada ninda apa

Originally Posted by rkemp1
Im not sure what insurance you have but many insurers now offer different rules and deductibles for glass claims. I used to have geico and they offered free auto glass claims and some other companies will have like 50 or 100$ deductibles. I would at least look at your policy to see if its available. You might save a few hundred bux.
thanks ill give them a call tomorrow and see what they can do...but like i said if my deductible is more then the cost of the repair, I might as well just pay out of pocket.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:10 PM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pony_killer
I don't want my insurance to pay for it since its only a couple of hundred,
Why not? Why pay for the insurance if you don't want to use the coverage.

Most policies are $0 deductible for glass repair. And many states require insurance comapnies to do that.

bill
Old 08-27-2007, 02:22 PM
pony_killer
Arada ninda apa

yeah im just hoping that if i do decide for them to pay for it, i dont want my rates to increase.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:13 PM
Hammer1

If you do decide to pay for it yourself be sure to check around. I just replaced the windshield in mine for $220 installed. OEM replacement. One place quoted me $600. As sleazy as it is be sure to tell them you are paying and NOT an Ins. Company. Some places like to jack up the price for Ins.

Hammer
Old 08-27-2007, 04:19 PM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pony_killer
yeah im just hoping that if i do decide for them to pay for it, i dont want my rates to increase.
Your rates will NOT be increased because of a comp claim.

bill
Old 08-27-2007, 04:20 PM
Nero

when i first read the title, i thought it was going to be another QQ "i crashed" thread
Old 08-27-2007, 04:22 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Check your regional forum for a regional shop recommendation.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:11 AM
SSZVirginia

Use PPG glass. Not OEM. Its cheaper and has the same shading along the roof line.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:31 AM
Vorais

Originally Posted by bailey bill
Why not? Why pay for the insurance if you don't want to use the coverage.

Most policies are $0 deductible for glass repair. And many states require insurance comapnies to do that.

bill
+1 You will find that the deductible for glass is not the same as for everything else. The states helped push this through because they don't want people driving around with cracked windshields because their deductible is too high to cover it. Also as bill said a comp claim won't raise your premium (a collision will though.)
Old 08-28-2007, 12:16 PM
pony_killer
Arada ninda apa

well i spoke to the insurance company today and they said that once the deductible was met then they would take care of the windshield...but the deductible is $800 I told the lady that I'd rather just pay out of pocket on this one. What a rip-off.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:43 PM
eez

300 is good. on my old 03 I paid 400 to have the windshield replaced.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:16 AM
Allstar40

wow wow wow. today wen i got in my car to go to school... i turend car on. was puttin sum music on. then i look up and see a line about 16 inches long across my windshield. it looked like a crack. i got really mad.. i got out of car to check it out. i put my finger over it. wipe it a bit. and i find out it was just sum dirt... woo scared me a bit. haha i ended up missing my morning class cuz i decided to wash my car cuz she was too dirty.. no worries. my morning class was just sum lecture. i didnt miss much. anyways. done with my story. about urs.... sucks bro. hope u can get all this figured out quik so u can get back on the road with a nice clean windsheild

Quick Reply: Rocks + Driving 70MPH = BAD NEWS