Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Help Me Decide! 350z or s2000

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 11:00 AM
M3ANMACHINE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sk26dett
i test drove a s2000 just for kicks a few weeks ago, the lack of torque was really evident, it felt really slow, and for the $30,000+ price tag it really wasn't worth it, it costed more than the brand new 07 Z's in the next lot.

The honda salesman was retarded, the Nissan dealer and Honda dealer are side by side, he kept going on and on about how the s2000 is a faster car than the 07 z! (both cars were 07's)

Do you ever plan on tracking the car?
Most likely not.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:20 AM
Sea Bass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) Drive both cars, and get a chance to try them both on a nice freeway as well as a set of twisty roads, if you can find some. See which one suits your driving style, and your life, more. The S2000 is a wonderful car (preferably those from '03 and earlier) with its raucous, high revving 4 cylinder, and absolutely perfect gearbox, and the handling is ****. The downside? That car is GUTLESS below 5500 rpm, and you will get tired of having to rev the **** out of it at EVERY stoplight just to get it to go. That, and good luck fitting even a gold bag in there, it's got even less utility than the Z.

The Z, of course, is sexy, it's powerful, and it has good handling. It also has a bit more space for items. The power is everywhere so you never need to rev it up if you don't want to (though that's fun also). The shifter is notchy as hell, but fun in its own way. The handling for a 3200 + lb car is quite good, though not quite in S2k territory, which makes sense if you understand the mission for both cars.

Like I said earlier, drive both and figure out which one suits you more. I chose the Z because of its sexy looks, awesome powerband, and all around great performance. I still love S2000s and will check them out and nod at the driver all the time, but I don't regret my choice one bit.

Originally Posted by 2006350zSA
first off its a honda. Second off its a honda. Third off the other one is a Z get my drift.
I get your drift, you're not a true enthusiast if you're so close minded.

Originally Posted by 350ZEEEEE
Why exactly is a Honda so bad?.... If you've ever been in an S then you would know that it's not your average Honda.
Ignore the hater. He's not going to change his mind, not even try entering civil discussion. I love Hondas, even the most utilitarian ones. They might not be or everyone, but they will still be on the road, keeping their value, not burning oil, longer than any other car.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:23 AM
Bumpinjeep

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

just test drive them. Why have people try to convince you?
Old 08-30-2007, 11:34 AM
Marc Mc

The S2000 is a nice looking convertible. In my humble opion - I like it better than the Z convertible. Again....that is just my preference. Performance and handling appear to be nice with the S2000 as well.

The practical side of the equation is pretty big. The luggage space is practically nill. My friend's boyfriend had one. It was nice to tool around in, but when they went for a weekend away, she had to ride with her bag in her lap and riding for an hour an a half with your suitcase in your lap ain't fun.

So...go test drive them. Decide which one really does if for you on the looks side, and ask yourself if the practical side would be a problem.

Me.....I love the Z and wouldn't trade it for an S2000. I love the looks. The performance suits my needs on and off the track. All around...it is a wonderful car.

Enjoy whatever decision you make.
Marc Mc
Old 08-30-2007, 11:41 AM
BADASSTT

Z-Phil, what are you taking about? A "true enthusiast" sticks with the Z and doesnt look back. Maybe if you like the honda so much then you should have gotten one. The Z is a real mans car. I see a lot of chicks driving the honda.

2. The Honda engine is not the most reliable 4cyl engines for racing. The nissan inline 6 is. I have seen and heard of hondas going turbo or NOS and by the 3rd pass melting there piston rings or throwing a rod out of the block.

3. There is one car that has a small motor that will spank any honda in the street. And that would be the RX7 Turbo. If the motor on the rx7 is built good it would never blow on high boost or if sprayed.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:57 AM
atrus

not to mention, the S2000 was pretty close to $30,000 brand new when it was first released, maybe 31. Now its at a full $35k brand new, when you can get a Z for 29, come on, I know its a honda but eff that.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:00 PM
trodis
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by ZlleH
Go for the S2000. We need more S2000 out there on the road and less of the 350Z.
+1
Old 08-30-2007, 12:15 PM
06PPW350

opinion:

s2k - very nice tranny, but wow i almost fell asleep before VTEC kicked in... dealer told me no traction control system is available, im 5'11" but my friend who is 6'1" cudnt release the clutch without his knee hitting the steering.. sux!

z - low end torque (which is what u use most of the time in a DD unless u plan to shift at 9k rpm everytime), better designed interior, nicer exterior, cheaper insurance (surprisingly)

350z ftmfw
Old 08-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Jorge Cabrone

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BADASSTT
Z-Phil, what are you taking about? A "true enthusiast" sticks with the Z and doesnt look back. Maybe if you like the honda so much then you should have gotten one. The Z is a real mans car. I see a lot of chicks driving the honda.

2. The Honda engine is not the most reliable 4cyl engines for racing. The nissan inline 6 is. I have seen and heard of hondas going turbo or NOS and by the 3rd pass melting there piston rings or throwing a rod out of the block.

3. There is one car that has a small motor that will spank any honda in the street. And that would be the RX7 Turbo. If the motor on the rx7 is built good it would never blow on high boost or if sprayed.
Although I love my Z too death, too many damn people have them. I see more chicks young and old driving Z's than I do the s2k. The s2k has been out longer yet I see less of them on the road. (granted also S2k production is less than the Z).

I would go with the Z, more room, torque, trunk space, practicality, and you get a V6. Driving a 4 banger and a 6 banger, you really hear and feel the difference.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:44 PM
blinkz

s2000 are so damn small. i get leg cramps driving the car because i feel so crammed up in it. i love the looks on it though but its just not for me people who are tall. unless if youre 4'10... go for it. the good thing about 350z are that they have more room. the thing i hate about my 350 is that simple stuff is broken but thats why i have my warranty so oh well. and plus i raced a 07
s2 the other day and walked the thing 5 car lengths.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:02 PM
Desimale

If the S came in coupe it might have been a harder choice but since it didn't that left the z. Honda's are really well made though, even better than our cars.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:08 PM
Get_Zwole

yeah ive drivin my buddies numerous times he owned it for 3 years. I didnt like it. Way too small for anybody over 5'9 in my opinion. No torque whatsoever downlow so not even fun to daily drive. i just dont like them plus i think they are ugly as ****. these are just my opinions.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:14 PM
LouiZ

Look...our opinions arent gonna actually give u the final decision on which car you pick. I understand u want the pros and cons of each cars but everybody has a different opinion on what they like. I personally love the S2000 (used to own one)...and I love the 350z as well (currently own one). If I had a choice I'd go back to the s2000. Why you ask? 1. Becuz im a convertible kind of guy. 2. Becuz honda cars r jus as reliable as nissans. 3. Becuz I like the looks better (no offense to the Z). dont get me wrong...the space in the Z is really helpful and i love the extra torque. But its just my opinion. I'm sure some feel the same way and some don't but its what you like. I'm a small guy at 5'5 135 so the s2000 suits me well.

Last edited by LouiZ; 08-30-2007 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:16 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

I was in your situation before I bought the Z. S2k= kids will like it, 350z you get respect from the older crowd or envy or jealousy or hating. S2k won't get as much of that. Honda engineering, fit, material, finish etc etc is just nicer than the Z but also feels like a Civic.

I have an 07 Si as well. I feel I got more bang for the buck out of the car for 20k. My Z, I feel short changed with the cheapy materials all around and an engine that's used in every other Nissan vehicle. But in the end I still chose the Z I heart my Z... I heart my Hondas as well...
Old 08-30-2007, 02:18 PM
JunkStory

Get the s2000 for general reliability
Old 08-30-2007, 02:19 PM
kayfuNk
Banned

the Z owners telling you to get a honda said that because you shouldn't be relating the 2 cars in the same class, and if you're even thinking about this decision you dont deserve to make the right one.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:26 PM
Guy the Larry

they're both great cars.

I was in the same dilemma. to be honest, s2000 was my first choice. but after some debates with myself here and there, it didn't fit my needs.

test drive both cars and ask yourself, not us.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:52 PM
KG350Z

Welcome to the Z forum, home of the Z forum, can i take your order?
Old 08-30-2007, 03:13 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Rent a 350Z for the weekend. See if it meets your needs.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:19 PM
sofa king
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you are the weakest link. good bye.

Quick Reply: Help Me Decide! 350z or s2000