Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Do Not Buy The Z!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 09:00 AM
SILVER 03Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Do Not Buy The Z!!

I purchased my 03 as a 2nd owner. The car had 19k on it when I purchased and ran great. I started having trouble around 38k. In a nut shell, here are the issues...

1...Check engine light came on, found out a coil pack was blown.

2...Driver side window motor stopped working.

3...Recall on the gas filler tube. Supposedly they are cracking and causing fires.

4...Occasionally, the car will not start. I put the key in, turn it and nothing. Eventually it will start after I try it 10 or more times in a row. To this day Nissan has yet to diagnose the issue.

5...3rd gear was making a grinding noise. I took this back to Nissan 3 times, finally they replaced the transmission at 50k. During this, one of there idiot mechanics did not place the lift right under the car and cracked the passenger ground effect. They denied this was their doing.

I have attempted to contact Nissan customer service numerous times with no luck. They do not call you back and it is impossible to talk with a supervisor. All the above problems were fixed, minus the no start issue, under warranty.

The rear suspension is really bad in the 03's and causes excessive tire wear. I purchased new rear tires in Nov of 06, when I went for inspection in March of 07, they told me I needed new rear tires. Now mind you I drive all highway and do not race this car. The tire company refused to take responsibility for this issue.

Nissan is a headache to deal with and they DO NOT stand behind their cars. DO NOT buy a Nissan, you will deeply regret it!!
Old 09-02-2007, 09:02 AM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ummmm....if you haven't noticed we all are Z owners...your a little too late.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:02 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Thumbs down

Thanks for the advice, I am trading my Z in on Tuesday! BTW we will miss you, all 10 of your posts!

Last edited by zand02max; 09-02-2007 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:05 AM
SniperHunter

So because you probably bought a used car that's been shat on, you think it applies to us too? Moreover, you're an enormous minority here, friend. Zs are probably Nissan's best built vehicle, at the moment.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:05 AM
AroundMyHorn

Originally Posted by zand02max
Thanks for the advice, I am trading my Z in on Tuesday!
Old 09-02-2007, 09:07 AM
Rifleman007

that's why you buy one with more miles if it's an 03' so the previous owner already fixed all the issues
Old 09-02-2007, 09:09 AM
bhendjol
achoooooo

Originally Posted by zand02max
Thanks for the advice, I am trading my Z in on Tuesday! BTW we will miss you, all 10 of your posts!
Old 09-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Conceyted

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
So because you probably bought a used car that's been shat on, you think it applies to us too? Moreover, you're an enormous minority here, friend. Zs are probably Nissan's best built vehicle, at the moment.
I am in no way interested in bashing the Z. I have owned one for 4 years now and I love it. But the Z is FAR from the "best built vehicle" and I am extremely curious as to why you would claim something as ludicrous as this? I could name 5 - 10 vehicles off the top of my head that are "better built" than the Z is. The truth is, the OP's problems have little or nothing to do with the original owner "****ting on" his car. Many z owners throughout this forum have experienced many/all of the problems the OP has. This does NOT mean the car is a piece of crap. Every car has its problems, and the OP's car is a 2003 which was the first year of a new car. Just some things to think about...
Old 09-02-2007, 09:12 AM
AroundMyHorn

Originally Posted by Conceyted
I am in no way interested in bashing the Z. I have owned one for 4 years now and I love it. But the Z is FAR from the "best built vehicle" and I am extremely curious as to why you would claim something as ludicrous as this? I could name 5 - 10 vehicles off the top of my head that are "better built" than the Z is. The truth is, the OP's problems have little or nothing to do with the original owner "****ting on" his car. Many z owners throughout this forum have experienced many/all of the problems the OP has. This does NOT mean the car is a piece of crap. Every car has its problems, and the OP's car is a 2003 which was the first year of a new car. Just some things to think about...

he meant in the nissan family dude. lol
Old 09-02-2007, 09:13 AM
SniperHunter

But the Z is FAR from the "best built vehicle" and I am extremely curious as to why you would claim something as ludicrous as this?
Do you have trouble reading? I said Nissan's best built vehicle. You can name me five better built Nissan's right now?

Moreover, coil pack going at 30k miles? That's not common and shows signs of abuse. 3rd gear grind that early on with the transmission? Common, but still signs of abuse. The car not starting? Sorry, I've yet to hear that one being a common issue with 03s.

Last edited by SniperHunter; 09-02-2007 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Jason@Riverside
Vendor - Former Vendor

take it to a dealer that will perform the fuel hose recall... its no big deal...

your coil pack went out? are your valve covers leaking? I would check that...

do you know any history of your car before you purchased it? maintenance? collision?

transmission, at 38K most likely your clutch disc is wearing out already, replace with new clutch shifting will be smoother... most likely...

window motor.. $175

as far as the key, its probably the IPDM needing to be replaced... whats the history of the car? collision? modifications? stereo?
Old 09-02-2007, 09:15 AM
brickyardzee

Just becuase one car has a problem doesn't mean all do. Yes, there have been some problems there is no denying that but it doesn't make all of them bad. Your dealership experience does not indicate in any way that all dealerships are run the same way. I have read of good dealership experiences too, it all depends on where you take it.

I have an 03 I bought new and I have not had the problems many other 03 owners have. Part of that may be because it is a late 03 and also because I don't beat on it regularly. It only has 19K on it but runs great and I have never hand any issues. I also had the fuel filler recall performed on my car and all the hoses under there were cracked. I know because the service tech brought me into the shop and showed me after the rear end was pulled down.

Your experience is not an indication that all Z's are bad and more importantly, all your issues but one have been resolved. I had 15K on my original tires and they are still in good shape and could go for more miles, I just upgraded and added new rims so if you are having an issue with rear tires wearing that fast there is some other issue going on.

Do you really think we are all going to run out and sell our Z's because of a post you make? I don't think so.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:20 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im at a dealership now trading my Z because of this post.. Hopefully theyll give me the 80k I put into it..

Last edited by Jay'Z; 09-02-2007 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:27 AM
CervanteZ

You're in the wrong forum... honda forums is that'way --->
Old 09-02-2007, 09:28 AM
gregtotheb

Originally Posted by SILVER 03Z
I purchased my 03 as a 2nd owner. The car had 19k on it when I purchased and ran great. I started having trouble around 38k. In a nut shell, here are the issues...

3...Recall on the gas filler tube. Supposedly they are cracking and causing fires.

4...Occasionally, the car will not start. I put the key in, turn it and nothing. Eventually it will start after I try it 10 or more times in a row. To this day Nissan has yet to diagnose the issue.

5...3rd gear was making a grinding noise. I took this back to Nissan 3 times, finally they replaced the transmission at 50k. During this, one of there idiot mechanics did not place the lift right under the car and cracked the passenger ground effect. They denied this was their doing.

I have attempted to contact Nissan customer service numerous times with no luck. They do not call you back and it is impossible to talk with a supervisor. All the above problems were fixed, minus the no start issue, under warranty.

The rear suspension is really bad in the 03's and causes excessive tire wear. I purchased new rear tires in Nov of 06, when I went for inspection in March of 07, they told me I needed new rear tires. Now mind you I drive all highway and do not race this car. The tire company refused to take responsibility for this issue.

Nissan is a headache to deal with and they DO NOT stand behind their cars. DO NOT buy a Nissan, you will deeply regret it!!
Old 09-02-2007, 09:28 AM
BlitzKrieg//

Attention Admin;

I officially request the name of the site be changed to mycobaltss.com.

Thank you
Old 09-02-2007, 09:31 AM
brickyardzee

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
Im at a dealership now trading my Z because of this post.. Hopefully theyll give me the 80k I put into it..
What dealership are you at? Think I will slip in right behind you and gobble it up for song!
Old 09-02-2007, 09:32 AM
michaeljr6

well you bought a used SPORTS car.....

you = fail

used SPORTS car = beat the **** out
Old 09-02-2007, 09:33 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

this thread is FTMFF!
Old 09-02-2007, 09:34 AM
ctchmyz

Originally Posted by SILVER 03Z

Whew! Man I'm glad I read this before I went and bought a---wait...awww sh*t!

Quick Reply: Do Not Buy The Z!!