Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Has anyone put their Z on a car carrier?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 08:21 AM
platinum350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone put their Z on a car carrier?

I am moving in about a week from Phila. to Ft. Myers, FL and am trailering my Z down on a Penske car carrier. Wanted to get some one elses feedback if they have used a car carrier before. After looking at their website, it appears that my tire size won't fit. My best bet is to do a dry run at a local Penske dealer to make sure though.
Anyway, if you have used one, please share your experience.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:33 PM
pvt9471

probably not gonna work....mines lowered a bit and it doesn't work...
Old 09-03-2007, 03:38 PM
jonahlw

sounds feasible

Last edited by jonahlw; 09-03-2007 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:29 PM
platinum350

Originally Posted by pvt9471
probably not gonna work....mines lowered a bit and it doesn't work...
Please don't tell me that! Mine is not lowered and has 19" rims on it, 275 rears & 245's front. My fingers are crossed.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:29 PM
platinum350

Originally Posted by jonahlw
sounds feasible
really hope so..
Old 09-03-2007, 08:31 PM
stalarman@yahoo

Alright. Time for some answers to step in!. Tip #1: BE VERY careful when you load it, because you can scratch the bottom, or worse CRACK the underside of your side skirt. ALSO: when you are unloading it, VERY SLOWWWLY, the same process can occur again. my advice for a lowered car? Put some sort of protection under your side skirts, such as styrofoam or cardboard, just tape it dude dont worry about the paint. That way that will hit the metal of the carrier instead of your actual car... besides that lots of anxiety before it arrives. tough it out! good luck
Old 09-03-2007, 08:33 PM
stalarman@yahoo

Cant you compensate tire sizes by using 2 donuts in the rears for your 275's? just eliminate the tire sizes temporarily. Borrow them from a neghbor of family member. It is not the end of the world.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:35 PM
platinum350

Originally Posted by stalarman@yahoo
Cant you compensate tire sizes by using 2 donuts in the rears for your 275's? just eliminate the tire sizes temporarily. Borrow them from a neghbor of family member. It is not the end of the world.
Thanks for all the help! Good idea with the donuts.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:42 PM
stalarman@yahoo

no problem but do be carefuel when you load it, dont wanna hear a thread about "i cracked my sideskirts". Caution is key. YOU drive it on and OFF. Dont let any one touch it.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:08 PM
platinum350

no problem but do be carefuel when you load it, dont wanna hear a thread about "i cracked my sideskirts". Caution is key. YOU drive it on and OFF. Dont let any one touch it.
I am with you, thanks again!
Old 09-03-2007, 09:19 PM
stereoneeds

ive done it with penske- no problems at all. ive got 20's though, so i was a little bit higher. get a lot of friends to "lift" the car as you load and unload it and youll be fine.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:52 PM
umsta

u can get those moving spacers that are seen on the nismo 07's they can help you clear the clearance
Old 09-04-2007, 02:07 AM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

passport.fedex.com

hydraulic lifts to load/unload, specializes in custom cars, I trust them with my Z, etc etc...
Old 09-04-2007, 05:34 AM
Ztouring04

i moved from nj to naples FL ( like 15 from ft myers)...my car is not lowered but i do have an aerosync front bumper and i couldnt find a car carrier that could load it without taking the front bumper off.....believe it of not i took a train down and they loaded my car onto the train.....of course they used 2X4's .....but there was no porblems and my car came off perfect. The train went from virginia to stanford florida......i think....but that worked perfectly......
Old 09-04-2007, 06:26 AM
platinum350

Originally Posted by Ztouring04
i moved from nj to naples FL ( like 15 from ft myers)...my car is not lowered but i do have an aerosync front bumper and i couldnt find a car carrier that could load it without taking the front bumper off.....believe it of not i took a train down and they loaded my car onto the train.....of course they used 2X4's .....but there was no porblems and my car came off perfect. The train went from virginia to stanford florida......i think....but that worked perfectly......
So how do u like Naples? Also, do you have any more info on the train?
Old 09-04-2007, 06:36 AM
stalarman@yahoo

Originally Posted by platinum350
I am with you, thanks again!
Youre welcome. Good luck once again.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:45 AM
Ztouring04

Originally Posted by platinum350
So how do u like Naples? Also, do you have any more info on the train?

Naples if beautiful, the beaches ,the weather....as well as ft. myers because i am there for school......as far as the auto amtrak train goes(i laughed at the idea at first, but it actually payed off)... it leaves from lorton, virginia and ends in Sanford, FL ,,which is a lil north of orlando. It was about 350 a person.. which includes your car,your own cabin and a great diner. They say u need 4 inches of ground clereance, they will check your car if u dont have you sign a waver( i had to) Again i dont know how low your car is or your sideskirts are..........you watch them drive your car over , tell them you will need to 2X4's to load it....they pull them out and load the car.....it was simple. When you arrrive in FL, tell someone that ur car (make, model and the number they give you) needs 2X4's and thats it. Of course the drive from the train to ft. myers will be about 3 hours.. but the roads are all flat....Hope this helps
Old 09-04-2007, 07:41 AM
platinum350

Originally Posted by Ztouring04
Naples if beautiful, the beaches ,the weather....as well as ft. myers because i am there for school......as far as the auto amtrak train goes(i laughed at the idea at first, but it actually payed off)... it leaves from lorton, virginia and ends in Sanford, FL ,,which is a lil north of orlando. It was about 350 a person.. which includes your car,your own cabin and a great diner. They say u need 4 inches of ground clereance, they will check your car if u dont have you sign a waver( i had to) Again i dont know how low your car is or your sideskirts are..........you watch them drive your car over , tell them you will need to 2X4's to load it....they pull them out and load the car.....it was simple. When you arrrive in FL, tell someone that ur car (make, model and the number they give you) needs 2X4's and thats it. Of course the drive from the train to ft. myers will be about 3 hours.. but the roads are all flat....Hope this helps
Very much so, thanks again!
Old 09-04-2007, 07:53 AM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not remove the front bumper and side skirts to eliminate most of the worries? 275s should be able to fit over the carrier ramps; if not, the donuts idea is very good.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:56 AM
Kuruma-san

Alright. Time for some answers to step in!. Tip #1: BE VERY careful when you load it, because you can scratch the bottom, or worse CRACK the underside of your side skirt. ALSO: when you are unloading it, VERY SLOWWWLY, the same process can occur again. my advice for a lowered car? Put some sort of protection under your side skirts, such as styrofoam or cardboard, just tape it dude dont worry about the paint. That way that will hit the metal of the carrier instead of your actual car... besides that lots of anxiety before it arrives. tough it out! good luck
ya those carriers are steep as hell i had to use some blocks, try some 2X4s

Quick Reply: Has anyone put their Z on a car carrier?