Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Just took my first long trip in the "Z"

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 11:42 AM
k2we

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just took my first long trip in the "Z"

Just back from a 1400 mile round trip between Dobbs Ferry, NY and Dayton, Ohio. It was a fantastic trip. This was the first real test of the car on the Highway.. Words can't discribe the trip.. The car turned heads everywhere.. I saw no other 350's on the entire trip.. When I stopped for gas, I had a crowd around the car and many asked if they could take pictures.. I've never had anything happen like this before in 35 years of driving..

The car averaged 28.8 MPG on the trip out with an overall average speed of 76 MPH.. not too bad at all.. I went just shy of 500 miles on the tank and still had 2 gallons left.. My travelling partner had not driven a sports car since he owned a V-8 Sunbeam Alpine Tiger in the 1960's.. He could not stop talking about the car.. The raw power for passing was amazing.. He ownes a Lexus and would have never tried the passing moves he did with the "Z".

I must have killed a million bugs.. The front was a real mess but it cleaned up very well with only 2 minor dings in the front bumper skin.. That happened when a guy in a pick-up truck right in front of us, pulling a race car had a rear tire blow out at 70 MPH and almost lost it.. I don't know how he kept control of the truck & trailer.. The tire just blew apart and some of the pieces glanced off the front of my car.. I thought it would be much worse but it really was very minor.. By the way, The dealer cost for a new bumper skin is around $215 not painted.. I may get a spare for safe keeping.

If you have not taken your "Z" on a road trip.. Do it..and soon.. You don't know what your missing.. And the gas was a real bargain.. 93 octane gas here in the NY metro area is still arounf $1.90 a gallon, in eastern Ohio, I paid $1.44 for 93 octane BP.. Quite a difference..

All I can say is can't wait for the next trip..

Steve (k2we) Dobbs Ferry, NY 8921 miles since Sept 17th....
Old 05-19-2003, 01:41 PM
erock

Yea, I had a mini trip from San Diego to Las Vegas..... All my friends that I was meeting up with were from the east coast and flew out, so I eneded driving up by myself..... Not bad at all, The Z was very comfortable and was pretty fun takin' her to the limit out there in the desert..... Definitley the best 6 hr drive I've ever been on....
Old 05-19-2003, 01:56 PM
meatwad79

i have been planning a road trip in dec during christmas vacation to go from socal to my original home in detroit by myself. im so looking forward to it, this puppy seems prett comfy for a sports car ride, and i cant wait to do some late night backway highway speeding
Old 05-19-2003, 02:53 PM
JimH

Default Z Trippin'

Yup, I know how you feel only 10 times over! I just got back from a 5 week 9,000 mile run from Arizona to Florida and up to Montreal, Canada and finally across the Rockies and home again.
I also experienced the "wow factor" that you speak of. Mine is a Le Mans Sunset and I think that color really adds to this factor as well because that is always the second question out of their mouths as they ask what the color is.
I've had my share of interesting cars and even a few collecter cars, but never have I had this kind of response with any car I have ever owned. BTW, I am at 28,000 miles since Oct 29. Regards, Jim
Old 05-19-2003, 05:31 PM
Flyingscot

Thanks for the feedback! I'm about to embark upon a 2000 mile trip in a week and so I read your post with interest. Good to see that MPG figure. I was looking for 28/29.

I'll post all about it when I return.

Fly
Old 05-19-2003, 07:40 PM
tbcz

I recently undertook a 4100 mile, 5 day run. Philly out to Oklahoma City, down to Texas, back over through Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia and back up the east coast. Just about the same specs as others posted. Around 28 mpg highway averaging around 70 mph. The range on one tank is awesome.