2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Making the 350Z a REAL sports car

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 02:23 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL!

Good post, train. Disregard those to young or stupid to know sarcasm when they see it.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:24 PM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob I hear ya, but times change. Lucas didn't make these electrical systems, and just because it was less refined doesn't mean we wouldn't have taken the refinements if we could.
I know you weren't knocking it (you have a new Z), people just didn't take it the right way.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:33 PM
trains1937

Received 119 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=sean1967
I know you weren't knocking it (you have a new Z), people just didn't take it the right way.[/QUOTE]

You're the first to note that I have an 06 Enthusiast. If I was longing for the good old days why am I driving an 06 Z (with AT, no less.)?
Old 09-24-2007, 02:35 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by SS728
He's got a point though.
But the automotive industry has boomed and has to keep up with technology to meet demand.

If a "new" car has no a/c, no heat, no power steering, no power brakes, no power anything, it will not sell.
Plain and simple.
Automobiles must keep up with technology, it's inevitable.
Ariel Atom is a real sports car. Yes i agree with the post to some extent. No , a sports car should not have power seats , mirrors and a lot of the crap we have on ours.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:37 PM
Blu_Blur

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trains1937
Let me put it simply.

My post was an attempt to use sarcasm to show that the definition and perception of a sports cars has changed over time and no person or time period has ownership of what makes a true sports car.

I don't mind some of the criticism I got but it scares me that so many of you have no idea of what sarcasm is or how it can be used to make a point.

I'm pretty-sure it has already been mentioned as I haven't read all the posts but you left no notation of sarcasm such as the rolling eyes smiley or anything. NOTHING!

Old 09-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Blu_Blur

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
LOL!

Good post, train. Disregard those to young or stupid to know sarcasm when they see it.

I didn't see any real indication of sarcasm as it sounded like an old person giving you the schpeil about how back in their day, they had to walk 20 miles to school, uphill, during a blizzard.

Yeah, there were the slightly funny over-the-top statements like using pull-up windows with straps instead of glass windows but overall, I felt that this was an actual and sincere jab at modern sports cars.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:53 PM
Bumpinjeep

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

You know whats sad is that i feel the same way about Jeeps. The bullsh** IFS suspension they put on and that they dont offer the 4.0 I-6 is just sad. Advancements in sports cars make them more of a racecar than anything, power, handeling, style, but theres something about an open top and a close ratio 6-speed. Its like a Miata, stupid little bit** car but its great on an open road on a sunny day is soooooo fun.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:08 PM
hoss4131

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trains1937
Let me put it simply.

My post was an attempt to use sarcasm to show that the definition and perception of a sports cars has changed over time and no person or time period has ownership of what makes a true sports car.

I don't mind some of the criticism I got but it scares me that so many of you have no idea of what sarcasm is or how it can be used to make a point.
with that being said, its just technology coming and making everything better, safer, faster, more enjoyable... the concept of a sports car isnt what it used to be, because technology has brought us into a new age and shape of things.

the counter side of that argument, is that an AT is more technology, that will make things better, safer, faster, more enjoyable

i think a better argument would be to say that those who truly believe that a sports car HAS to have a manual trans, that if they believe in that strict of an interpretation of what makes a sports car a sports car, perhaps they should get rid of the rest of the technology that they probably dont even think about as subtracting from a sports car
Old 09-24-2007, 03:18 PM
andrew538

Default He's got a point...

Hey, stop bashing on the old man, he is got a point!!
I mean he is at least twice our age and has been messing with cars way longer than most of us. He had seen how sports car evolve to the cars now adays.
Real sports cars (like funny cars 1/4 miles, or NasCar) are exactly like what he mentioned earlier. It's just our definition of sports cars are different than his kinds of sports cars.
Give him a break, although I only agree with him to certain extent...

Last edited by andrew538; 09-24-2007 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:35 PM
ohSIXz

i felt bad about all the postings bashing this aged arizona resident (mad props!)

but are we talking sports car or track car? the ariel atom is a total TRACK car, but the miata has been called a sports car since they came into production. someone had the forumla written about i think.... SC=2(doors)+2(seats)+RWD.

but... 911 have back seats so those are GTs... but they cream miatas, Zs, and vettes.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:56 PM
Key Of Z

The rear "seats" in the 911 aren't real. I mean, a real person couldn't actually sit in them.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:05 PM
jonahlw

bah humbug my ***** hurt
Old 09-24-2007, 04:06 PM
moflow

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Man you guys are fcking mean!

I interpreted it as meaning that sports cars are first and foremost about driving pleasure and a close relationship between car and driver. We live in an age of safety, economy, comfort and technology which, I might add is a good thing! However the idea of a sports car never had anything to do with any of this, including the idea of all out speed. Sports cars were (and should still be considered) first and foremost about driver involvement and enjoyment. Yes comfort speed etc...are nice and quite enjoyable but the most important thing has been and always should be the connection between man and machine. All this new technology (while worth the trade off) dilutes that simple concept.

The OP's post simply laments this fact while at the same time poking fun at how sports cars used to be before we had all this technology.

Last edited by moflow; 09-24-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:23 PM
I1DER

Yes, I think it is true. Sarcastic humor is disappearing in the younger generations of Americans. It has become so rare that not only is it not being enjoyed, it is not even being recognized. I've been in cultures where it does not exist at all. There is nothing funny about it.(Pun intended).

The other day I joked in a auto v manual. thread that the anti-auto people would eventually bring out the importance of double-clutching to be the "legitimate" way and that would lead to the idea of removing sychros to make the car lighter as they weren't really necessary. It is making fun of something by being ridiculous. I think some took me seriously, like many took trains1937.

Trains arguments were nothing but typical quotes of what the sports car enthusiasts of those days actually said. We can see now how ridiculous those ideas were. He was bringing out how ridiculous some of the ideas that are floating around now are. He was also giving perspective and a fun romp through memory lane for any(young and old) with experience with those ancient finicky beasts.

Hell ya, I wish my old TR-3 had roll-down windows instead of side-curtains. But of course I'd just say real sports cars don't have roll down windows. The art of rationalization, unlike sarcasm, has not died out at all.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:23 PM
blainer

This thread is so gay it hurts.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:41 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

It would probably helped if the readers here had driven a MG from Detroit to KC in the winter (I did in 1963 or so)...or something similar.

Or had to cope with Lucas, Prince of Darkness, Electronics.

Long live improvements in sports vehicles.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:10 PM
I1DER

Originally Posted by blainer
This thread is so gay it hurts.
That is something I wouldn't have admitted to knowing.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:37 PM
henry j

Originally Posted by Ed 718
I want my minute of my life back I spent reading the first post.
+1 but it took me 3 min loll
Old 09-24-2007, 07:51 PM
moflow

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I1DER
Yes, I think it is true. Sarcastic humor is disappearing in the younger generations of Americans. It has become so rare that not only is it not being enjoyed, it is not even being recognized. I've been in cultures where it does not exist at all. There is nothing funny about it.(Pun intended).

Yeah most of the responses kind of depressed me. Is my generation really that dumb? Our responses are on autopilot now "hmmmm this requires thought.... IT'S GAY!!!"

I hope it's simply immaturity and something we can grow out of.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:18 PM
RrBb2004

Originally Posted by moflow

Yeah most of the responses kind of depressed me. Is my generation really that dumb? Our responses are on autopilot now "hmmmm this requires thought.... IT'S GAY!!!"

I hope it's simply immaturity and something we can grow out of.
I dont know what your generation is, but I am guessing I am younger than you... I grew up having older people tell me that I was too sarcastic for my own good, trust me, sarcasm aint goin nowhere!

The OP was obviously satirical in nature, but there will always be people, of any age, that just dont "get it." Long story short, younger guys with no sense of humor that got their panties in a bunch just got pwned by a 70 year olds sense of humor.

Quick Reply: Making the 350Z a REAL sports car