Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Making the 350Z a REAL sports car

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 01:54 PM
iknowitsfast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is stupid, the Z is a real sports car.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:23 PM
jjaujou

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heh... I thought it was funny. Reminded me of my grandpa.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:10 PM
dvo

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Do real sports cars have vtec? haha jk
Old 09-27-2007, 08:39 AM
simonfencer

Originally Posted by Spike100
Bob,

I enjoyed reading your post and all of the comments from others on your thread. Obviously you have been there for awhile. I agree with you and understand your points. I really enjoyed your thread. I am a little younger, but I’ve driven sports cars since 1964.

My history (cars I’ve owned and/or driven on a regular basis): Porsche 356 (1964), Porsche 912 (1966), Porsche 911 (1967), MG Midget (1968), MG 2+2 ( 1969), Triumph (1972), Porsche 944 (cannot remember the year). I’ve owned a string of “sport cars” past this list, but these are not relevant to the discussion you started on your thread.

I understand and see your point. Obviously some younger members here (some posted replies) don’t get it.

And… my thanks to “Key Of Z” for posting some great pics on this thread.

--Spike
yep, the op is pretty funny...apparently a lot of members check their senses of humor at the door, maybe they'd all prefer another what size tire or which oil thread, or maybe the op should have ended with ftw...I read Peter Egan's column in Road & Track every month first for the same sort of light heartedness.

As a general comment, it seems this board has attracted some of the rudest people around...the other boards I frequent people are much more polite and don't bother with all the negative comments...It could just be because they are all armed...

Maybe a 350Z doesn't quite fit the definition of a classic sportscar, but a classic sportscar was not exactly what you would choose as a daily driver. A 350Z definitely fits that bill. Hardly a mark against it in my books.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:04 AM
I1DER

The Z is a great sports car! I sometimes fantasize about having the 350Z back in the times of the Triumphs, MGs and Austin Healys. It would be like carrying an Uzi during the American Revolution.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:03 PM
ZGTChick

LOL Bob!

So at first I started to read this and thought "why is he saying this stuff"....then when I got to the part about making sure the top does not fit so it leaks and realized DUH its sarcastic.

And the only reason I know this is because my Dad wanted an MG forever but decided to buy first generation Miata....soon after he gave it to me. After about 100,000 miles and 3 tops, the last top started to leak. Thats when I said "well I guess its more like an MG now" LOL.

I wont pretend to be old enough to have ever known the classic sportscars your talking about but I respect the humor your post has. Sorry its lost on some people

I think the gist was that our definition of a sports car has evolved through the years. With modern advances in engineering cars like the Z can stand the extra pounds our *** warmers and CD changers and auto windows add now without compromising preformace.

Good post!
Old 09-28-2007, 06:39 AM
simonfencer

Originally Posted by I1DER
The Z is a great sports car! I sometimes fantasize about having the 350Z back in the times of the Triumphs, MGs and Austin Healys. It would be like carrying an Uzi during the American Revolution.
You wouldn't even have to go back that far...25 years would do it.

I am pretty certain a 350Z could handly beat a 308 or 911 from that time period.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:42 PM
pisc1024

I LMAO when I read this post, this sounds like somthing my dad would say. He owned two MG's when I was a kid, and is about Bob's age now. His description fits thoes two cars to a T. They would stall constanly, or have a blow out when my Mom would drive them, and never have a problem when my dad was behind the wheel. One was infact a convertable...
Old 09-29-2007, 06:41 PM
Plucky Purcell

An MG that wasn't a convertible??? I think it must have been a MGB GT. That brings back some painfull memories.

I kinda feel bad for the kids here that didn't get the chance to run some of those "classic" sports cars. See, y'all always talk about "mods" but back then you had to be a "tinkerer" just to keep the cars running right (or running at all). Electronic ignition and variable valve timing? HA! Try manual timing advance that you had to adjust WHILE DRIVING! (And try that on a motorcycle too.) We used to be able to sync triple Webbers and adjust points by smell and sound. Too bad the guys that think the OP "failed" are too young and inexperienced to understand. They just don't get it, but it's not their fault. It's a different era. It's a shame that some are so rude though.

Life is easy now. If you have problems with your Z most people just take it into the dealer and get it fixed with no actual interaction with the "soul" of the car. Jeeze, most guys these days don't or can't even change their own oil. There's discussions on how hard it is to drive a RWD car...or an MT! (heaven forbid in the rain or snow!) Man, that used to be all there was! I love my new Z. It supplies all of the fun and excitement, superior performance, with none of the hassles of the old classic sports cars.

Here's to technological advancement, for better or worse.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:33 PM
brents44

ok this ***get is a ****ing retard seriously ....the only real sports cars are convertibles?????you have to be a ****ing idiot to believe that. no hating on convertibles by any means but they are slower and heavier and everyone knows that!right?i guess a z06 vette coupe isnt a sports car right?lol this guy should jump off a bridge
Old 09-29-2007, 09:00 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Plucky Purcell
An MG that wasn't a convertible??? I think it must have been a MGB GT. That brings back some painfull memories.

I kinda feel bad for the kids here that didn't get the chance to run some of those "classic" sports cars. See, y'all always talk about "mods" but back then you had to be a "tinkerer" just to keep the cars running right (or running at all). Electronic ignition and variable valve timing? HA! Try manual timing advance that you had to adjust WHILE DRIVING! (And try that on a motorcycle too.) We used to be able to sync triple Webbers and adjust points by smell and sound. Too bad the guys that think the OP "failed" are too young and inexperienced to understand. They just don't get it, but it's not their fault. It's a different era. It's a shame that some are so rude though.

Life is easy now. If you have problems with your Z most people just take it into the dealer and get it fixed with no actual interaction with the "soul" of the car. Jeeze, most guys these days don't or can't even change their own oil. There's discussions on how hard it is to drive a RWD car...or an MT! (heaven forbid in the rain or snow!) Man, that used to be all there was! I love my new Z. It supplies all of the fun and excitement, superior performance, with none of the hassles of the old classic sports cars.

Here's to technological advancement, for better or worse.
You understand. I drove an MGB-GT and loved it. It had a great transmission and handled exceptionally well by yesteryear standards. And as you point out, routine maintenance and setting the ignition was a continuous project. I carried a spare fuel pump, an extra set of points, and a lot of tools. I remember a ski trip where I had to advance and retard the timing to keep the car running properly at different elevations. You probably also remember setting the gap on the points, and then having to reset this on a regular basis. And those wire wheels (real wire wheels with a single knock-off center bolt) were absolutely beautiful, but keeping them in round was difficult.

Your final point is well-taken. Now we have a true sports car without all the headaches.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 09-29-2007 at 10:18 PM. Reason: to reverse the quote position making the response more clear
Old 09-29-2007, 09:16 PM
Demon Z

Good post Bob. I enjoy a little perspective from those who've been around longer than me. As the years have gone by, and technology has become cheaper and smaller, it was inevitable that it would go into the automotive industry. While there are a few things I wish I could take off my Z, such as power steering, there are many more that I'll gladly keep, i.e., abs, airbags, ect. But your points are well taken. If I had a second Z to kick around in, I'd love to strip it of all the unnecessary stuff and have a bare-bones sports car. Hell, if I had a dollar for every time someone in here complained about the weight of the Z, I could retire yesterday. BTW, the A/T is 20 pounds lighter than the M/T. LOL

As an aside, some of you should really chill with all the name calling and such. Christ, he's just giving his opinion.

Last edited by Demon Z; 09-29-2007 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:04 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by brents44
ok this ***get is a ****ing retard seriously ....the only real sports cars are convertibles?????you have to be a ****ing idiot to believe that. no hating on convertibles by any means but they are slower and heavier and everyone knows that!right?i guess a z06 vette coupe isnt a sports car right?lol this guy should jump off a bridge
You missed Bob’s point… completely. Bob’s thread is quite good, but I understand why it isn’t appreciated on a Forum that has many young members. His message is subtle, and you need to know some history to get it.

The “modern” sports car was introduced after WWII, and it came to the USA from several countries (UK, Italy, and Germany). The classic sports cars handled well, but most had small engines and depended upon light weight and agility for their performance marks. Certainly there were some exotics in this era (i.e., Ferrari), but most were affordable sports cars.

The “muscle cars” (Pontiac GTO, Dodge Charger, and Mustang Boss 351 and 429) in the same era came from the USA and didn’t handle well, but had powerful engines. GM’s Corvette was different because it was small and light, and it had a larger engine providing more performance.

The Z is a perfect blend of sports car with great handling and a muscle car engine. And… it’s very reliable.

--Spike