Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

How's the rear visibility Coupe Vs Roadster?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 07:14 PM
wanta2008

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How's the rear visibility Coupe Vs Roadster?

Hi Guys,

Had the chance to play with a rental 07 Roadster earlier last month in California, had a blast and love the car, but I've decided the Roadster isnt' for me for a couple of reasons ....

- I found with the top up the visibility was really poor, even with shoulder checking I had to be really really careful

- I'm from a part of Canada where it rains alot so I'm not sure I'm gonna truly get to appreciate the convertible top

My question is ..... I still want a 350Z, but how is the visibility in the rear and out the sides on the coupe? Please tell me it's alot better than the Roadster!

Thanks in advance for your input!
Old 10-07-2007, 07:32 PM
oddjobbb

i have driven both and the coupe is not much better than the roadster. and who drives with the top up anyway
Attached Thumbnails How's the rear visibility Coupe Vs Roadster?-img_0011.jpg  
Old 10-07-2007, 07:39 PM
scmtkings4

hmm i dont know the back window is a little small, but i have no problems with it. I see fine/enough out of the rearview mirror.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:04 PM
wanta2008

thanks for the replies, it rains alot where i'm from

actually i was thinking more about the side visibility as well when shoulder checking, with the extra side window panels on the coupe as opposed to the roadster with the top down, with the top up lane changing is no problem.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:17 PM
aloh

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

side visibility? whats that?

Its got pretty bad blind spots when you try to look over your shoulder...its espeically annoying when youre backing up from a parking space. You cant see anything with the rear hatch in the way.

You just gotta be extra careful..
Old 10-07-2007, 08:22 PM
blazed54

Originally Posted by wanta2008
thanks for the replies, it rains alot where i'm from

actually i was thinking more about the side visibility as well when shoulder checking, with the extra side window panels on the coupe as opposed to the roadster with the top down, with the top up lane changing is no problem.
because the car is so short there are almost no blind spots while checking the sides while driving. If you can't see the car in the side view mirrors, it's usually right next to you and can't be missed. As for rear visibility, it sucks. when just backing out of a parking lot and stuff it's alright, but on the road while driving, i can usually only see from the middle of the windshield down to the headlights and tires for cars behind me. If you're like me and want to be able to see the top of the cars behind you "check for cops" hehe then you'll end up using the sideviews more often.
never ridden in a convert before so no comment.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:24 PM
redmike_02

Originally Posted by aloh

Its got pretty bad blind spots when you try to look over your shoulder...its espeically annoying when youre backing up from a parking space. You cant see anything with the rear hatch in the way.

+1

Merging left can be bad. Always check the mirrors and the little window several times.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:30 PM
blazed54

Originally Posted by redmike_02
+1

Merging left can be bad. Always check the mirrors and the little window several times.

really?? this is a tiny Z and not a escalade.... if you're having trouble seeing the car on your left and right's maybe you need to adjust your side mirrors?
Old 10-07-2007, 08:40 PM
wanta2008

I love this forum, so many quick responses .....

I agree .... when I had the rental roadster I just found the tiny window out the back a little scary .... is the couple significantly better compared to that tiny slit the roadster has? Having never driving a couple I would imagine that big window would be alot better .... but then again havne't been in one.

When lane changing do those quarter panel windows on the left and right side cover off some of the blind spots?
Old 10-07-2007, 09:46 PM
black06z

There's a lot more rear visibility with the coupe. I had the roadster before this. I had a few periods of neck strain due to the constant turning of the head.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Shadrackc

Come on guys. If you set your mirrors right, check out the side, you should be good. I don't have any problem with a shoulder check mixed with the side mirror. They are wider in ratio than other mirrors, and I find offer a good side ways range. The rear mirror, while physically big, lets me see from the bottom of the windsheild of the car behind me down. That is because I'm 6' 2". If I nod my chin down I can see the driver, but why? I know the car is there, and find the side mirrors give you great coverage if set right. Never driven the convertable, though sat in one and didn't like the smaller rear view.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:52 PM
DManator

When driving around, the blind spots are that bad at all.

Originally Posted by aloh

Especially when you're backing up and you have 2 cars parked beside you. By the time you're able to see if anyone is coming, the car is already 3/4 of the way out of the parking spot.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:49 AM
Fairly Z

Rear view mirror is fine, but side visibility is restricted to mirrors only. There's no way you'll see anything if you turn your head. That's in my coupe, anyways.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:13 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Visability on the right side of the coupe is tough, imo. I always give an extra check when moving to the right. But it is certainly no reason not to buy a Z.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:29 AM
I1DER

From 2005 on the Z has wider side view mirrows. There are a couple threads on adjusting sideviews correctly to avoid blind spots.

I had my car for a few months before I realized the interior rear view mirror has a double joint for better adjustment. It makes a difference.

When I bought the car (coupe), I thought visibility was going to be somewhat of a problem. I have had no problem nor second thoughts about it.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:04 PM
trains1937

Received 119 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by I1DER
From 2005 on the Z has wider side view mirrows. There are a couple threads on adjusting sideviews correctly to avoid blind spots.

I had my car for a few months before I realized the interior rear view mirror has a double joint for better adjustment. It makes a difference.

When I bought the car (coupe), I thought visibility was going to be somewhat of a problem. I have had no problem nor second thoughts about it.
Correct adjustment of sideview mirrors takes a lot of the risk out of open road driving. Backing out of parking spots with cars on both sides is a hassle. I do my best to pull ahead into a space that will allow me to go forward when leaving instead of backing out.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:09 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I make a habit of backing into spaces (when i can see all cars around me) and then pulling out forward. Backing out in a busy parking lot can be a pain.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Fletch69z

I can see pretty well out of my coupe thanks to the small side windows behind the pillars.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:42 PM
wanta2008

awesome feedback! and although this only applies to those in Canada .... happy thanksgiving!
Old 10-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Shadrackc

Same on the thanksgiving. Put it this way, this car doesn't disappoint. If you like the look, and you like the way it feels, then buy it. The performance won't let you down unless you are moving from a lambo/ferrari/z06, etc. Can't truly tell you how "stock" feels, as mine came new with modifications done by an enthusiast dealership in Hamilton. Little lower, sway bars, etc, so it handles like no other car I have driven. Have driven a Z3 supercharged, uncomfortable, but very tight. This car also feels very tight. Lane changes are as simple as thinking about it, response is immediate. Power is there to kick the back end out if you want, but you can control your line with throttle as well as steering. An absolutely fun car to drive, and feels good driving. It gets looks, and maybe there could be a lot more glass to look through in the back, that would change the look though which I wouldn't like, but use your side mirrors smartly and you won't have problems. I also park so I can drive straight out, but I did that in my 2003 Aztek as well so no change there.
I like the coupe vs the roadster because of look. I find that the roof defines the curves of this car and distinguishes it. Just my opinion, but look at both and see which you admire the lines of more. It rains a lot in richmond doesn't it?

Quick Reply: How's the rear visibility Coupe Vs Roadster?