Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Dissapointed and sad Z owner. (35th Anniversary Edition)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 01:04 PM
imjdoggie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had all those problems in my 03, my tranny was replaced at 50k, tire feathering problem took a couple of alignments and a set of new tires to fix that problem, and last there is a TSB for the rear axle clicking. Nissan will cover the tranny but the tire feathering issue is on you because you missed the cutoff which was last December (06). And the TSB on the axle click is on your dime too I beleive. Hope it all works out for you man.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:06 PM
BADASSTT

Dude the problems you write of are normal remember you drive a sports car. Its also used nothing can last forever.Truly your blowing it way out of proportion. What you have is nothing compared to what other have gone through.I had a 91 300ZX Twin Turbo and towards the end of my ownership I was in the shop almost 2 times a month. At least your still under warrenty.So your allright.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:07 PM
imjdoggie

Originally Posted by greybrimstone
What does TSB stand for?

Technical Service Bulletin
Old 10-16-2007, 01:12 PM
Studah

Yes I do believe you have tire feathering should be covered under warrenty, as for the clicks, Z's do have loud trans, mine clicks too as a lot of other Z's, as for the loud "thud" when you put it in gear, mine does it too every now but then, only when im at a stop and put it in 1st gear never happened when i put it in reverse, but its not loud so im not worried hopefully the dealer will fix up ur baby, either that or its mad at you for babying it so much
Old 11-27-2007, 04:55 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

Did you sell the disappointing car?
Old 11-27-2007, 05:59 AM
06MagneticZ

This is why I gave up on my Z. Had it for a year and have had tons of probles. Love the car, but hate the little problems. Now I think my motor finally went out. Dont know why since I always have my car serviced with synthetic oil. Im going to pick up an Evo IX sometime after the dealer fixes my recent issue.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:19 AM
maxpowers

When the car starts from a cold start, I hear a whine come from the engine. It sounds like smooth metal on smooth metal... sorta like a pulley is going to go, or like a belt is about to start squealing. Anyone have this problem? Is this common with the Z?
I think all your questions have been answered. I had the whinning problem a few years ago (search under transmission whine)....but if you get the tranny replaced because of grinding, it will solve your problem.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:58 PM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 06MagneticZ
This is why I gave up on my Z. Had it for a year and have had tons of probles. Love the car, but hate the little problems. Now I think my motor finally went out. Dont know why since I always have my car serviced with synthetic oil. Im going to pick up an Evo IX sometime after the dealer fixes my recent issue.
You think the EVO is a perfect car with no problems? FI cars are more prone to have issues.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:04 PM
michaeljr6

evo > *
Old 11-27-2007, 04:13 PM
dragon11689

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Replace tranny oil with royal purple. That stuff is awesome and gets rid of any notchiness or slight grinding you may feel in the tranny while shifting.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:14 PM
Flee0588

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I just read the first post. All these problems are normal and can be fixed under warrenty. If you would have searched the forum first, you'd find that there are threads addressing these issues. I dont understand how you can not take it to the dealership and just rant on a 350z forum without even searching for the problems first. You just assume the 350z is a bad car because it does these things. Sell the Z and be sad and disappointed elsewhere.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

The problems you describe are known faults that show up in a few 350Zs. In fact these are described in Nissan’s TBAs.

The solution to your transmission problem is a replacement that you are entitled to under your drive train warranty. Nissan installs a new transmission in your car. The new transmission is much better than the original. You cannot beat that deal.

The “thunk/clicking” sound you hear might be coming from your differential. Nissan also fixes this for you under the drive train warranty. It’s another TBA. …So far, so good.

The tire wear pattern you describe sounds like the “feathering issue” that Nissan has addressed and cured by correcting frontend alignment specifications. The fix also includes Nissan’s insistence the Dealerships calibrate their alignment equipment. At your reported mileage (25K) you need new tires anyway. You should buy new tires. When you buy new tires, be sure that the car is aligned to Nissan’s specifications. You should ask the dealership/tire-installer if they have calibrated their equipment. I asked to see the dealer’s calibration document. Performance tires are expensive, so you want to know the installer has properly maintained their alignment equipment.

Re> “When the car starts from a cold start, I hear a whine come from the engine. It sounds like smooth metal on smooth metal... sorta like a pulley is going to go, or like a belt is about to start squealing.”
I’m not sure what this is. It could be something as simple as a belt requiring more tension. Worst case is it’s a bearing on something like your air conditioner pump. I would have this checked. The dealership will need to keep your car overnight to duplicate the problem, so this will be inconvenient for you.

Since you are still under warranty, you can get all this fixed and it won’t cost you anything past replacing your worn tires. You mentioned other performance cars, so I will point out that Porsche has replaced tranmissions on Boxters for a few client experiencing a syncromesh problem. No on is "immune."

I hope some of this information is helpful.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 11-27-2007 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Nihsnek
Sic 'Em

What does TSB stand for?
Technical Service Bulletin.

Essentially they are just recalls on various common problems. The dealership should fix all of them for free...yet I don't think grinding is a TSB.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:49 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

You should be Feel GOOD! cuz you still got WARranTI!!!

and Don't Get me Wrong,

It's not only Z has problem.

My friend's Evo had lot of problems, he got brand NEW,
he took it to dealer so many times, and some Problems Warranty didn't cover, so end up paid 3000 Dollars.!

my Old Acura had Tranni problems, fixed under warranty ( New ).

My friend's S2000 Had Some minor problems, ( Used, No warranty )

hey Come On~ Don't B Sad~ B HAPPY!

Last edited by Chef-J; 11-27-2007 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:58 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
Did you sell the disappointing car?
Guess not. Well maybe its not so terribly disappointing after all.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:01 AM
03BrickyardZ

I thought feathering was rare on 04.5+ cars...

Does it pop out of sixth every once in a while?
Old 01-11-2008, 07:17 AM
joei

I have an 05 anniversary with 20ths miles on it and have experience no problems with my ZR. I love it as much today as when I bought it.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:50 AM
350ZediMastiff

Originally Posted by Rexy7
I had 05 anniversary (original owner) about 14,000 mile in 1year period and the only problem I had was that my rear tires wore out on the outer part of the tires rather then the inner, but it I think it was my fault because of putting too much air pressure(45psi). Also I had a 2nd gear grind when I try to take off the line which could be driver error.
I have this problem more often than I would like. I have an 07 with almost 6k on it, and even if I concentrate on it, I still sometimes don't get into 2nd under hard acceleration and get a big ol' grind.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:09 AM
banshee

Originally Posted by 350ZediMastiff
I have this problem more often than I would like. I have an 07 with almost 6k on it, and even if I concentrate on it, I still sometimes don't get into 2nd under hard acceleration and get a big ol' grind.
On an '07?? Are you sure it's not user error?
Old 01-13-2008, 12:01 PM
illjim69

Received 545 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by banshee
On an '07?? Are you sure it's not user error?
lulz...........maybe he isn't pushing in the clutch.

jim

Quick Reply: Dissapointed and sad Z owner. (35th Anniversary Edition)