Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Beware of Valet Parking

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003 | 08:41 PM
daking350
Banned

Exclamation Beware of Valet Parking

For anyone who valet parks their car please check your vehicle completely before leaving ...This happened to my car at Ceasars in Atlantic City NJ...I realized it the next day when I was washing my car and recalled that they VIP parked my car with my drivers side wheel against the curb and I dont paralell park my car onn that side at all...I got screwed good on this one guys!!!
Attached Thumbnails Beware of Valet Parking-pdrm0029.jpg  
Old 05-28-2003 | 09:08 PM
MovingViolation

When I was younger I worked as a valet for a few weeks and I will NEVER NEVER valet my car. I've seen what goes on. Especially how performance cars are driven.
Old 05-28-2003 | 09:17 PM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

ouch man, thats a good 200$ atleast to fix that. if thats chrome maybe more. cant prove it was them either huh? meaning no way their gonna pay it. but I would give them a peice of my mind.
Old 05-29-2003 | 12:11 AM
VAman

Report it to Caesar's, who knows, they may just take care of it. Customer goodwill and all that stuff
Old 05-29-2003 | 12:44 AM
35oZephyR

I will NEVER park my car in Valet unless i absolutely didn't care about my car.

I have two friends that worked valet for the Emmy's last year.
One guy bumped another car while parking with a new Audi TT.

The other friend scratched the corner of a brand spanking new m3 as he came into a spot...leaving the m3's paint on the back fender of a brand new Mercede's S class. I mean you could totally see the blue paint of the m3 on the silver S500.

They didn't even tell the owners about the scratches.
Let's not mention the high revving on the M3...it was barely broken in.
Old 05-29-2003 | 06:47 AM
LBSOHK

had few friends working in a valet parking in a hotel in nyc , one day 1 of them took m3 , other took a vette , accidently they hit each other , major damage , parked the cars and left for a day , next day they had to bring the cars around , so one guy picked up m3 and drove it in front of the hotel , owner cried when he saw his car , his buddy was laughing crazy , guess what , the guy who was laughing was an owner of the vette .... obviously my friends got fired , but from all the stories i heard i would never park my car on a valet parking...
btw they all learn how to drive a stick when they worked over there , makes u wonder who drives your car and how..
Old 05-29-2003 | 07:20 AM
WashUJon

NEVER EVER use a valet!!!!! Especially if you own a desirable car!!!!

I've told this story before, but I used to work security at a local outdoor mall. On nice days, guys would valet their Vipers and Porsches, etc., at one of the restaurants and I'd ALWAYS see those cars abused. I even saw them taken OFF the property for joyrides that lasted sometimes 15 minutes or more. They'd TRASH those cars. One kid even got in a pretty bad accident with some guy's 911.

I remember seeing some expose on TV a few years ago where, I think it was Dateline NBC, put hidden cameras in cars that they took to various valet services. They caught the valet guys stealing everything from change to CDs and phones. They also caught many of them joyriding and being VERY abusive to the cars.

Now, not all valet guys are ******. Most of them just want to do their job and make money. But it only takes ONE bad apple to ruin your day and your car.

STAY AWAY and take the time to park it yourself! Trust me...
Old 05-29-2003 | 07:56 AM
plezercruz

Default You rich jerks are all alike...

Listen to you thieves, complaining about your poor little richmobiles. Did it ever occur to you that if it wasn't for my valet job, I'd never get to drive a sweet car like a 350Z? Where is the justice in that, that you get to have a cool car YOUR WHOLE LIFE and then you ***** if i should dare go out on a 15 minute joyride. I am ENTITLED to it. You're just trying to rob me of my share of your car.

And do you know how much valets get paid? If it wasn't for the perk of being able to try out some sweet sets of wheels it wouldn't even be worth it. And I'm learning how to drive stick...slowly but surely. Your precious transmission is training me to serve society better.

And so what if we steal a little something or do a little damage...you're rich, what's a few hundred bucks to you. I work for $5 an hour, and my daddy is unemployed. Why should I be responsible for damage i cause. It's your own fault for having an expensive car anyway. If i had damaged my car in the same way it woudn't cost half as much. So you should just pay for my mistakes, because you're rich.

If you rich brats don't valet your cars, we valets will all go on strike. Then there will be chaos at your fancy-schmancy restaurants, and we'll see who gets the last laugh.
Old 05-29-2003 | 08:01 AM
WashUJon

Default Re: You rich jerks are all alike...

Originally posted by plezercruz
Listen to you thieves, complaining about your poor little richmobiles. Did it ever occur to you that if it wasn't for my valet job, I'd never get to drive a sweet car like a 350Z? Where is the justice in that, that you get to have a cool car YOUR WHOLE LIFE and then you ***** if i should dare go out on a 15 minute joyride. I am ENTITLED to it. You're just trying to rob me of my share of your car.

And do you know how much valets get paid? If it wasn't for the perk of being able to try out some sweet sets of wheels it wouldn't even be worth it. And I'm learning how to drive stick...slowly but surely. Your precious transmission is training me to serve society better.

And so what if we steal a little something or do a little damage...you're rich, what's a few hundred bucks to you. I work for $5 an hour, and my daddy is unemployed. Why should I be responsible for damage i cause. It's your own fault for having an expensive car anyway. If i had damaged my car in the same way it woudn't cost half as much. So you should just pay for my mistakes, because you're rich.

If you rich brats don't valet your cars, we valets will all go on strike. Then there will be chaos at your fancy-schmancy restaurants, and we'll see who gets the last laugh.

ROFLMAO

Oh no... not the commie jokes again...
Old 05-29-2003 | 08:33 AM
s9am_me

Old 05-29-2003 | 09:06 AM
Zmoney

The only time I valet is when I can watch them park my car right up front. At these places you can eat outside and watch their every move.
Old 05-29-2003 | 09:52 AM
Jason Bourne

I, like all of you, hate valet with a passion. Unfortunately I live in NYC and the only way I can park my car anywhere near my residence is to valet it. I pay $450 per month and I can use my car whenever I want, but I never get to park it. Some valet guy goes and does it for me. The reason for not offering self-park is that they can fit 100 cars in a lot that would only hold about 40 if it were self-park with normal space for the cars. It's absolutely horrible (especially given the cost) but it is the only option I have.

Anyway, the first day I had my Z, with 100 miles on the clock, they managed to create a 4 inch by 1/4 inch scratch on the front bumper (scratched the paint fully off, revealing the black plastic of the bumper). I told them I understood that the car would end up with dings and scratches and that I could live with it but asked if there was anyway that they might be able to be careful for the first few weeks to let me enjoy the new car for a little while. I was just amazed that they had managed to screw it up so badly on the first day! And I'm pretty tolerant, I don't care what happens to the wheels, I don't mind small door dings, etc... But this is a major scratch.

Oh well. Valet sucks. You guys are all lucky that you can avoid it!

Jason
Old 05-29-2003 | 09:57 AM
iris

Originally posted by Jason Bourne

I told them I understood that the car would end up with dings and scratches and that I could live with it but asked if there was anyway that they might be able to be careful for the first few weeks to let me enjoy the new car for a little while.

And I'm pretty tolerant, I don't care what happens to the wheels, I don't mind small door dings, etc... But this is a major scratch.
You are a VERY tolerant guy. I would have punched them out.
Old 05-29-2003 | 10:18 AM
WashUJon

I, like all of you, hate valet with a passion. Unfortunately I live in NYC and the only way I can park my car anywhere near my residence is to valet it. I pay $450 per month and I can use my car whenever I want, but I never get to park it. Some valet guy goes and does it for me. The reason for not offering self-park is that they can fit 100 cars in a lot that would only hold about 40 if it were self-park with normal space for the cars. It's absolutely horrible (especially given the cost) but it is the only option I have.

Anyway, the first day I had my Z, with 100 miles on the clock, they managed to create a 4 inch by 1/4 inch scratch on the front bumper (scratched the paint fully off, revealing the black plastic of the bumper). I told them I understood that the car would end up with dings and scratches and that I could live with it but asked if there was anyway that they might be able to be careful for the first few weeks to let me enjoy the new car for a little while. I was just amazed that they had managed to screw it up so badly on the first day! And I'm pretty tolerant, I don't care what happens to the wheels, I don't mind small door dings, etc... But this is a major scratch.

Oh well. Valet sucks. You guys are all lucky that you can avoid it!

Jason
The company has insurance (if they don't they're really really shady), so demand compensation. There is NO reason why you should accept AND expect damage to your car when they are paid (either by you or the establishment they work for) to do a job correctly.

Damaging YOUR property shouldn't be tolerable, especially something that will cost hundreds of dollars to fix. I, like you, am a very patient person. However, I'd NEVER put up with that kind of BS.

Do you expect that YOU will cause your own car to end up with dings and scratches everytime you park it? Why expect it from someone PAID to park your car?

I can see it not being a big deal if you simply don't care, but I don't think you'd mention it if you didn't care at all.

Point: they have no incentive to change their service and behavior if no one cares when they damage property...
Old 05-29-2003 | 10:37 AM
Jason Bourne

I do care, but not as much as some of you guys. I'm not really into appearances - I prefer performance. But I do still prefer to have my car undamaged. The problem with asking for compensation is twofold:
- They have an explicit policy that they are not responsible for damage to bumpers - it is written in the contract that I have signed and on placards in the garage area.
- These guys have been valet-ing my car for 3 years, I have no plans to move any time soon. Cars have come and gone in that time, but I have to maintain my relationship with these guys. I have one of the cheapest cars in that garage (for example, there are 3 Ferrari 360s out of 100 cars) and if those guys don't complain about small scratches, I don't want to be perceived as the a$$hole who complains about dents in his Nissan. Plus a lot of the guys who park there tip those guys every time (which I think is ridiculous) so I just need to manage the relationship carefully.

Basically, I have been polite and tolerant but asked genuinely for more attention in the future. At least they are polite and quick in getting my car.

I think that without living in NYC, it's hard to understand the mindset that you have to take a lot of $hit and just deal with it. Kicking and screaming is rarely surprising.

Jason
Old 05-29-2003 | 12:51 PM
TheLex

I don't understand that at all. Unless NY state law says differently, it doesn't matter a hill of beans what they have posted as to not being responsible for scratches. If they scratch your car, and you bring em to court, they'll lose. And if they're consistent or egregious about this, I'd bet there's a way you could get their business license yanked. Don't put up with that kind of crap. It only wears you down inside.

As for valet in highly congested areas, oftentimes there's no choice. But unless the restuarant or other business that offers the valet service plain doesn't care, I can't see how they would put up with customer's cars being abused. It's bad PR.
Old 05-29-2003 | 12:59 PM
Jason Bourne

Originally posted by TheLex
I don't understand that at all. Unless NY state law says differently, it doesn't matter a hill of beans what they have posted as to not being responsible for scratches. If they scratch your car, and you bring em to court, they'll lose. And if they're consistent or egregious about this, I'd bet there's a way you could get their business license yanked. Don't put up with that kind of crap. It only wears you down inside.
Well, the thing is that I have a contract with them for monthly parking, it's not just a restaurant or somewhere where I might park once. The contract is a legal document, signed by me that specifically absolves them of any responsibility in damage to the bumpers (or other plastic trim I might add). So, once I've signed it, I could take them to court but all they have to do is provide the court with the contract and I lose. It certainly isn't worth pursuing in court and I prefer to reserve my right to get pissed and ask for retribution for when (or if) they do something major.

Jason
Old 05-29-2003 | 01:08 PM
WashUJon

Well, the thing is that I have a contract with them for monthly parking, it's not just a restaurant or somewhere where I might park once. The contract is a legal document, signed by me that specifically absolves them of any responsibility in damage to the bumpers (or other plastic trim I might add). So, once I've signed it, I could take them to court but all they have to do is provide the court with the contract and I lose. It certainly isn't worth pursuing in court and I prefer to reserve my right to get pissed and ask for retribution for when (or if) they do something major.

Jason
That's not exactly true and any lawyer will agree with me. There are lots of factors involved. For one, their contract may not be legal. Secondly, courts often find that some contracts have unreasonable stipulations and often rule against such contracts. Believe it or not, if I write a contract for a service I'm providing you and I write off an unreasonable amount of liability into that contract, a judge may still rule against me, even if you have read, signed and agreed to my contract.
Old 05-29-2003 | 01:43 PM
Jason Bourne

Originally posted by WashUJon
That's not exactly true and any lawyer will agree with me. There are lots of factors involved. For one, their contract may not be legal. Secondly, courts often find that some contracts have unreasonable stipulations and often rule against such contracts. Believe it or not, if I write a contract for a service I'm providing you and I write off an unreasonable amount of liability into that contract, a judge may still rule against me, even if you have read, signed and agreed to my contract.
I imagine that you are right. I just don't feel (personally) that it is worth the hassle. Going to court would be a PITA and then having to deal with the dirty looks and poor service from the garage for the next couple of years would be even worse. Keep in mind, these are the guys who have my car for about 90% of the time - I would like to avoid ticking them off as much as possible.

Jason
Old 05-29-2003 | 01:56 PM
synth19

OMG- yesterday I went to dinner downtown and I was walking toward the restaurant...I saw 3 valet guys run to the cars they were picking up, peeled out, and drove like maniacs.......but of couse slowed down when they got closer to the restaurant....after that display of pure lack of respect, I def wont ever valet

Quick Reply: Beware of Valet Parking