Old 11-02-2007, 05:57 PM
shanki456

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wont wanna drive around in a junkbox haha
Old 11-03-2007, 05:34 AM
marhot

Originally Posted by Tubbs
no it's not... but there's a little less concern when it's a 500 dollar car... no? You don't have to love your beater.

+1
Old 11-03-2007, 10:31 AM
deftones1

Originally Posted by shanki456
Well if I don't get a Z, wtf do I get? I really don't like the new G at all. I love the new Lexus IS350, but kinda pricey.
The IS350 is rear wheel drive, so it isn't going to do any better than the Z you could get the IS250 AWD but you are going to give up a lot of HP. I live in Salt Lake City and i drive mine all year round. Just throw a good pair of snow tires on and it will do just fine. if you don't you can expect a wrecked car. I am not joking. the stock tires are terrible in the winter. i have heard the blizzaks are great. I have the Dunlop sport M3 tires and they are well worth the money
Old 11-03-2007, 03:22 PM
SOZ

I had 4 Dunlop Sport M3 snow tires mounted this morning. Surprisingly, they are quieter than the stock Bridgestones that came on the car.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:28 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

There is lots of good points and counter-points on this thread. Of course there is no right answer, and there is a lot room for an endless debate. Here are some more thoughts (many of which are stated here, but I just brought them together into a single message)…

1) The Z is very drivable on snow and ice. The only requirement is mounting good snow tires. LSD is very helpful. You may need to toggle TCS on/off depending upon the conditions and know how to counter-steer in a skid (a car with RWD and a shorter wheel base rotates more easily), but that’s about it.

2) The big disadvantage of a Z in snow is its lower clearance. In deep snow you can high-center the car and become stuck. If you live in an area where the DOT plows after a snowfall, then it isn’t much of a problem.

3) Damage from salt and sanding in the winter is a reality, but it is minimized by frequent washings (cleaning the undercarriage is important) and occasional detailing. It’s the cost you pay when living in a harsh climate. Modern cars resist damage from salt and other chemicals. I haven’t noticed any rusted Z’s, and they are driven in the winter where I live. In fact you can face harsh conditions if you live on the ocean (salt spray), in the desert (oxidized paint), or drive the expressway (chips and stone damage). There is hardly anywhere you are completely safe from the elements or the environment. For example: You’ll get quite a splattering of bugs (damages paint if not removed) on your car if you drive in the summer in northern Minnesota.

4) Driving a “beater” may appeal to some, but others want to drive a decent car anytime of the year. The Z is has some good safety features that protect you in a crash, and maybe that “beater” isn’t quite so safe. It’s actually relative to the owner’s income. A Z is not that expensive.

--Spike
Old 11-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by Spike100
There is lots of good points and counter-points on this thread. Of course there is no right answer, and there is a lot room for an endless debate. Here are some more thoughts (many of which are stated here, but I just brought them together into a single message)…

1) The Z is very drivable on snow and ice. The only requirement is mounting good snow tires. LSD is very helpful. You may need to toggle TCS on/off depending upon the conditions and know how to counter-steer in a skid (a car with RWD and a shorter wheel base rotates more easily), but that’s about it.

2) The big disadvantage of a Z in snow is its lower clearance. In deep snow you can high-center the car and become stuck. If you live in an area where the DOT plows after a snowfall, then it isn’t much of a problem.

3) Damage from salt and sanding in the winter is a reality, but it is minimized by frequent washings (cleaning the undercarriage is important) and occasional detailing. It’s the cost you pay when living in a harsh climate. Modern cars resist damage from salt and other chemicals. I haven’t noticed any rusted Z’s, and they are driven in the winter where I live. In fact you can face harsh conditions if you live on the ocean (salt spray), in the desert (oxidized paint), or drive the expressway (chips and stone damage). There is hardly anywhere you are completely safe from the elements or the environment. For example: You’ll get quite a splattering of bugs (damages paint if not removed) on your car if you drive in the summer in northern Minnesota.

4) Driving a “beater” may appeal to some, but others want to drive a decent car anytime of the year. The Z is has some good safety features that protect you in a crash, and maybe that “beater” isn’t quite so safe. It’s actually relative to the owner’s income. A Z is not that expensive.

--Spike
To me, the biggest problem with the Z is the torque and little weight over the rear wheels. It gets worse when people put very wide wheels on the back.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:53 PM
shanki456

ya, I might end up, instead of getting an 09 when they come out, get a new 07 thats on the lot for a real good price, and since my 02 maxima has been payed off, I dont need to insure it in the summer, and just pay the Z of as quick as I can, and ill be fine having those 2 cars.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Tubbs
To me, the biggest problem with the Z is the torque and little weight over the rear wheels. It gets worse when people put very wide wheels on the back.
For sure. 17" wheels with 225's all around is best. Of course those 225's must have the correct aspect ratio to meet the correct front/rear staggered overall diameter.

--Spike
Old 11-04-2007, 09:50 AM
shanki456

Im sure Ill be fine Thanks guys.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:59 AM
jtabraham

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove my Z every day from Charlton to Springfield (110 miles roundtrip) for a year. In the winter, I slapped on some snow tires, and made sure that my TCS was never off. The combination performed beautifully and I was able to handle just fine for the few days it snowed hard.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:42 AM
saberphx

Hey people, I'm from RI and I put my Z in the garage as soon as snow is in the forecast.
Good luck with your car cover but I would cry if I had to leave my car like that.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:43 AM
shanki456

you would cry? Its a car.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Ziggyrama

I think Spike100 had lots of valid points and summed it up pretty well.

I'd like to just say one thing about discussion about driving on stock Z tires in snow. I think this is a no brainer. In case someone is actually thinking about it, the stock tires are called SUMMER tires and are rated as such. That means that they have no rating in snow. Don't even try to use them in winter...even if there's no snow on the ground. The temps alone make them dangerous as summer tires loose lots of their traction below 40F. All of this means that if you try on them in winter, an accident is a pretty sure bet. If you still think you can pull it off, look up term Darwinizm and understand what it means

I put my Blizzaks on my Z last week since it's been getting cold in MA now in the mornings. They're actually significantly quieter than the stock Potenzas.

As far as tire width, going with wide winter tires is dumb. Go with 225s for best dry/snow traction compromise. Wide tires will skid more in snow and will not be able to get as good of a grip as thinner tires will. Also, weight distribution in the Z is actually not that bad. It's a 53/47 split so assuming my 03 Z weighs 3100lbs, that means 1643/1457. That's a 186lb difference between front and rear. I think the short wheel base is more at fault here.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Dubfound

I dont get the rust thing people are talking about? The car will be fine in the snow and winter. I drive my G year round with snows and it is fine!
Old 11-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Zmazing03

Blizzak WS-55 225s all around = you will be fine.

Just don't go out when there is 3-5 inches or more already on the ground. Even snow tires won't help you then.

Just remember this one simple fact: The 350Z, even with snow tires, is an escape vehicle only. You do not intentionally go out in it "to play" or if you don't have to go somewhere. You just jump in when the storm is hitting and you need to take off.

The snow tires get better wet traction, but the dry traction leaves something to be desired. Please do not attempt summer driving on snow tires (even if the road is dry), it won't work out in your favor. Also, I don't have the stock Bridgestone Potenzas, but my snow tires are definitely louder than the Goodyear Eagle RS-As on there now.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:53 PM
CelticPride2

This will be my 5th Massachusetts winter in the Z. As long as you put four snow tires on it and don't drive like an idiot, you'll be fine. I've never gotten stuck in the winter, and I don't plan to start this year.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:26 PM
JET MECH

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am originaly from salem MA i feel for you, live in las vegas now. i enjoy driving my z year round even though it is not my DD. i hate the snow! sorry man..........
Old 12-05-2007, 12:04 PM
gixxerk3

Mine gets parked for the winter. It is just a toy and has its own garage space. I have another daily driver anyway that I put all the miles on for work, so I dont see the point in letting it get covered in salt in the winter.

Mine has never seen snow but Im sure it cant be that bad with snow tires. A few years ago I had a Lightning that I drove through thwinter, in storms and all. If that is possible then a Z is definatly possible.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:34 PM
leakyfawcet

i live in methuen right next to haverhill....haha i attempted to drive mine last year in the snow and it definately didnt work out...i got a awd chevy astro for the winter months and the work week , i mostly drive my z on the weekends and when the roads are't covered with snow and salt....
Old 12-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Ziggyrama

Originally Posted by leakyfawcet
i live in methuen right next to haverhill....haha i attempted to drive mine last year in the snow and it definately didnt work out...i got a awd chevy astro for the winter months and the work week , i mostly drive my z on the weekends and when the roads are't covered with snow and salt....
Did you have snow tires on?

Quick Reply: driving a Z in Massachusetts!