Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Loud whistling sound at >120mph

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 04:44 PM
Enron Exec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud whistling sound at >120mph

I got a chance to flex my Z's muscles this weekend comming back down from Austin on 290. I was only able to hit 132mph because my passanger was getting a little faint hearted and asked not to go any faster.

Anyways... has anyone gotten a fairly loud whistling sound from the right rear of the car when doing 120+? What is causing it and how did you take care of it? Thanx.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:20 PM
stork_69

Talking

Duct Tape
Old 06-02-2003, 05:38 PM
Ricky
Banned

Maybe their window was slighty cracked, because I never experienced it.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:43 PM
Jason

No whistling at 120+ MPH in my Z.

Boy, won't this make a good warranty claim.

"Uhm, hello, yeah, my car makes a noise at over 120MPH."

"Oh.... yeah..... we'll, we're going to have to take it out and verify the problem."
Old 06-02-2003, 10:12 PM
Splurt

Default I get that too

I just got back from SD trip i took and I played with her a bit with my buddy's e36 m3. He was takin me around and while i was keeping up with him at like 120 or so i think I hear a whistling too.. I thought maybe my friend opened the window or something but it happenned like 3 or 4 times. Maybe it is something to worry about?
Old 06-02-2003, 11:11 PM
AmyCroft

Default Wind Sound at Speed

All:

Yes there is a vent to reduce pressure in the car. So one's ears don't pop. At speed that is normal. Don't let it distract you.

Cheers Amy -
Old 06-03-2003, 07:18 AM
WashUJon

Default Re: Wind Sound at Speed

Originally posted by AmyCroft
All:

Yes there is a vent to reduce pressure in the car. So one's ears don't pop. At speed that is normal. Don't let it distract you.

Cheers Amy -
Where???

Old 06-03-2003, 08:06 AM
professor

Default VENT?

To test if there is a vent, turn the "recirc" on and off.

If you close off the in coming air, there should be no air pressure increase in the cabin that has to get out.

Scott
Old 06-03-2003, 08:14 AM
WayneTN

Default Re: VENT?

Originally posted by professor
To test if there is a vent, turn the "recirc" on and off.

If you close off the in coming air, there should be no air pressure increase in the cabin that has to get out.

Scott
I'm not sure that would be an adequate test. At 120+ there would be a sizeable positive pressure on the front cross-sectional area of the car and a considerable negative pressure on the trailing surfaces. These pressure differentials could still cause air leakages through the car. Plus, the air inlet damper probably doesn't seal perfectly anyway. Also, it may not even be air leakages that cause the sound. It could be a surface underneath the car vibrating at a high frequency.

WayneTN
Old 06-03-2003, 08:57 AM
professor

Default Vent

I'm not sure that would be an adequate test. At 120+ there would be a sizeable positive pressure on the front cross-sectional area of the car and a considerable negative pressure on the trailing surfaces. These pressure differentials could still cause air leakages through the car. Plus, the air inlet damper probably doesn't seal perfectly anyway. Also, it may not even be air leakages that cause the sound. It could be a surface underneath the car vibrating at a high frequency.

Wayne,
I lived in Germany for 7 years and know (and miss) the Autobahn.
if you turn the recirc. on and off, there will be a change in the amount of air coming into the cabin. (and a change in the amount of air going out the mentioned vent)

BTW, cabin air is brought in at the high pressure area at the base of the windshield, and cabin pressure is not dependant on "front cross sectional area".

I totally agree that a under car surface could be responsable for the whistling noise.

Scott
Old 06-03-2003, 11:45 AM
indulf

0 whistles in my Z at 140+

FYI its a touring 5AT w/aero package.
Old 06-03-2003, 03:10 PM
WayneTN

Default Re: Vent

Originally posted by professor
Wayne,
I lived in Germany for 7 years and know (and miss) the Autobahn.
if you turn the recirc. on and off, there will be a change in the amount of air coming into the cabin. (and a change in the amount of air going out the mentioned vent)

BTW, cabin air is brought in at the high pressure area at the base of the windshield, and cabin pressure is not dependant on "front cross sectional area".

I totally agree that a under car surface could be responsable for the whistling noise.

Scott
Scott,

OK, I see your point now. You could go from recirc to fresh air mode (and back) while the noise is occuring. Yes, that might tell you something. If the noise doesn't vary much or go away, then it is caused by other leakages or vibrations and is probably not in the main fresh air system.

WayneTN
Old 06-03-2003, 03:25 PM
ranger5oh

That whistling noise was the sound of your warranty claim getting sucked out of the window.
Old 06-03-2003, 03:30 PM
WayneTN

Originally posted by ranger5oh
That whistling noise was the sound of your warranty claim getting sucked out of the window.
Funny you should mention that. Many years ago I came across a car upside down in the middle of the street near a subdivision (no one was hurt). The driver had veered off of the road at a curve, run the right side of the car over a fire hydrant, and it flipped the car over and it slid down the street on its top.

I heard the cop point out to the driver that the car had no tags. The driver stated that it had a driveout tag in the back window. Not seeing one, the cop said, "Buddy, you must have been going so fast it blew it right out the window."

WayneTN
Old 06-03-2003, 03:39 PM
Z_Pride

Hm I say it's a turbo.
Old 06-03-2003, 03:59 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Jason
No whistling at 120+ MPH in my Z.

Boy, won't this make a good warranty claim.

"Uhm, hello, yeah, my car makes a noise at over 120MPH."

"Oh.... yeah..... we'll, we're going to have to take it out and verify the problem."
This kinda rasises an interesting issue. If the Z from the factory has a top speed of 'X', shouldn't the dealer address any issue up to that speed regardless if that speed is legal? If they say "no", isn't that like them saying that "The problem occured at 66 mph and the posted state speed limit is 65, sorry we cannot address that problem.". Thoughts?
Old 06-03-2003, 05:13 PM
ScottC

Default Re: Wind Sound at Speed

Originally posted by AmyCroft
All:

Cheers Amy -
1. your ears dont pop because of pressure caused by speed. Its due to pressure caused by altitude or depth that your equilibrium is not used to.
2. true there is a little more pressure (against the car) at 120 compared to a "normal" 65-70, but your car by all means doesn't need to "vent."
3. if this vent were real, how would it know how fast you were going?

Talley-ho Scott
Old 06-03-2003, 05:28 PM
03 Z for ME

Default Tell them you took a road trip to Montana

This kinda rasises an interesting issue. If the Z from the factory has a top speed of 'X', shouldn't the dealer address any issue up to that speed regardless if that speed is legal? If they say "no", isn't that like them saying that "The problem occured at 66 mph and the posted state speed limit is 65, sorry we cannot address that problem.". Thoughts?

I had this issue in my 95 Trans Am. I had a distinct Vibration at 85mph + The dealer didnt want to do anything since he couldn't "reproduce" the problem...

I told them I was in Montana and on SOME of the out of way highways, there is NO speed Limit. (The police however CAN give you a ticket for driving too fast for conditions however)

What finally happened after I bitched enough and offered to take the Dealer / Service Tech for an 85mph+ ride was that I got a new Aluminum driveshaft under warranty.

No where that I can find soed it say that you void your warranty if you go too fast. So maybe you took the car to Montana, maybe you're rich and shipped it to Europe to run on the Autobahn just for fun...
Old 06-03-2003, 08:55 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Wind Sound at Speed

Originally posted by ScottC
1. your ears dont pop because of pressure caused by speed. Its due to pressure caused by altitude or depth that your equilibrium is not used to.
2. true there is a little more pressure (against the car) at 120 compared to a "normal" 65-70, but your car by all means doesn't need to "vent."
3. if this vent were real, how would it know how fast you were going?

Talley-ho Scott
1. Pressure is pressure. It doesn't matter what causes it.

2. There is a HUGE amount of additional pressure at 120 than there would be at 65-70. There is an exponential increase in wind resistance as velocity increases.

3. This vent could be passive, and simply let air flow in any direction to allow equalization. It would never need to know the car's speed.

I doubt that it is a vent though. It more likely would be to a loose window seal, maybe rear hatch weather stripping that's loose, maybe some turbulence over a different part of the car that happened due to whatever cross wind that was occurring. On the right side....maybe something with the fuel filler door? I'd guess antenna, but it's on the wrong side.

I think this calls for additional "experiments"!!

-D'oh!
Old 06-04-2003, 03:38 AM
ScottC

Default Re: Re: Re: Wind Sound at Speed

[QUOTE]Originally posted by D'oh
[B]1. Pressure is pressure. It doesn't matter what causes it.

Not the type of pressure that causes your ears to pop. You dont have to plug your nose and pop your ears because you are driving 120 on a motorcycle/car! You do however need to do so when you take a scuba dive.

Quick Reply: Loud whistling sound at >120mph