Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Anyone have comments on the license plate holder on StrictlyZ.com?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 04:06 PM
orhanz33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have comments on the license plate holder on StrictlyZ.com?

I was thinkin about getting it, but it's expensive (imo, for what is pictured)...what are your thoughts, is it worth it? I don't have holes in the bumper yet, but might just tell the dealer to mount the stock bracket and drill the holes...besides the fact that the holder is 40$ there's also the fact that it doesn't look stable...does it hold the plate tightly, or does it vibrate at highway speeds?

p.s. don't know if this is a real concern with that bracket, but does it restrict airflow enough to make a diff. in perfornance?
Old 06-03-2003, 07:42 PM
hypersonicaz

While I agree that the frame is rather expensive, it is definitely a quality part. I have the Black Pearl version and I love it.

As for your front bumper, I'd suggest mounting your plate with the bracket specified here. With it, you won't have to drill any holes in your bumper. And from the reports I've read, airflow restriction shouldn't be a problem.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:30 PM
n8vz

just received it over the mail today. The license frame holder could have been made from plastic and probably cost a lot less. But it wouldn't be as nice. The Zee Bracket as it is called, is fabricated from all metal construction. worth the price IMHO
Old 06-03-2003, 08:37 PM
fdao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Zee Bracket and the quality of the material is top notch! Worth the price! It is very durable and able to withstand 100+ MPH jaunts , as well as numerous 1/4 mile runs.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:37 PM
Inova

anyone got a link to the site to buy the bracket from>?
Old 06-03-2003, 09:52 PM
hypersonicaz

Yes: http://www.strictlyz.com/customer/pr...f05efa9bc5a9b6.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:19 AM
fdao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or www.courtesynissan.com
Old 06-04-2003, 01:58 AM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

This may be one of the most absurd rants you'll ever see, but like all good ones, it's straight from the heart.

I know some of you have such frames, and if you do I don't mean to put you down, but I find them hideous. They are some of the most grotesque tasteless vile things you can attach to your car. I can't even put into words how much this violates my sense of aesthetics. On a scale, of 1 to 10, 10 being the worst, it first goes back to -5 just to get a running start. It's just about as bad as you can get without killing puppies.

License plate frames should not have any text or symbols. They should be plain and simple to minimize intrusion. The license plate is already an eyesore and a foreign element to the design (the color and design of the plate, I mean). To draw attention to it, rather than away from it, is like drawing a red circle around a puss-filled zit. Instead of decorating it with redundant information, let the 350Z logo that's already present draw any attention, as it's designed to do. Everyone knows what the car is, and it's not the job of the license plate frame to re-communicate that. It is only the job of the frame to form a buffer zone between the beauty of the car and the symbol of tyrannical oppression that is a license plate.

To add such a plate is like spitting in the face of everything that good and just in the world. It's like stealing cookies from a girl scout and not even eating them. Most aptly, it's like eating your own barf over and over again, until it's such a color that you can't even remember what it was the first time you ate it, although you're fairly certain it wasn't girl scout cookies, and then throwing it on your car.

But if you already have one, don't mind me. If you like it, or get some kind of satisfaction out of it, like people often do, I'm happy too. I mean, jeez, it's just a license plate frame. You don't have to insane about it. I'm telling you, some people go off about the slightest things!

Last edited by nbdyfcnsqnc; 06-04-2003 at 02:38 AM.
Old 06-04-2003, 10:04 AM
orhanz33

how hard is the Z bracket to install? does it require drilling?
Old 06-04-2003, 10:23 AM
MrLoutish

At one point someone on this forum described the needed parts for a "do it yourself" plat holder that did not require drilling.

I've been trying use the search feature to find the thread to no avail.

If anyone w/ a bit more skill could like that info here it might be helpful.
Old 06-04-2003, 10:42 AM
Cyase

Originally posted by MrLoutish
At one point someone on this forum described the needed parts for a "do it yourself" plat holder that did not require drilling.

I've been trying use the search feature to find the thread to no avail.

If anyone w/ a bit more skill could like that info here it might be helpful.
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=24586
Old 06-04-2003, 10:44 AM
WashUJon

Originally posted by nbdyfcnsqnc
This may be one of the most absurd rants you'll ever see, but like all good ones, it's straight from the heart.

I know some of you have such frames, and if you do I don't mean to put you down, but I find them hideous. They are some of the most grotesque tasteless vile things you can attach to your car. I can't even put into words how much this violates my sense of aesthetics. On a scale, of 1 to 10, 10 being the worst, it first goes back to -5 just to get a running start. It's just about as bad as you can get without killing puppies.

License plate frames should not have any text or symbols. They should be plain and simple to minimize intrusion. The license plate is already an eyesore and a foreign element to the design (the color and design of the plate, I mean). To draw attention to it, rather than away from it, is like drawing a red circle around a puss-filled zit. Instead of decorating it with redundant information, let the 350Z logo that's already present draw any attention, as it's designed to do. Everyone knows what the car is, and it's not the job of the license plate frame to re-communicate that. It is only the job of the frame to form a buffer zone between the beauty of the car and the symbol of tyrannical oppression that is a license plate.

To add such a plate is like spitting in the face of everything that good and just in the world. It's like stealing cookies from a girl scout and not even eating them. Most aptly, it's like eating your own barf over and over again, until it's such a color that you can't even remember what it was the first time you ate it, although you're fairly certain it wasn't girl scout cookies, and then throwing it on your car.

But if you already have one, don't mind me. If you like it, or get some kind of satisfaction out of it, like people often do, I'm happy too. I mean, jeez, it's just a license plate frame. You don't have to insane about it. I'm telling you, some people go off about the slightest things!
Nice rant. However, I think you need to know something. The license plate bracket is Audiopat's bracket. Its simply a mounting bracket made of aluminum. None of the bracket shows unless you look behind the mounted license plate. There's no "Z" emblem or polished chrome nonsense. Its a simple bracket designed to eliminate the need for drilling into the painted part of the bumper. Click on the Courtesy link, as I think you don't realize that the bracket is as spartan as they come. Its even less noticeable than the OEM plastic mounting kit.

(I assumed you were talking about the Audiopat bracket sold by Courtesy and StrictlyZ.)
Old 06-04-2003, 10:50 AM
POWERZ

Looks like half the people are talking about the "bracket" and the other half the "frame."
Old 06-04-2003, 10:57 AM
MrLoutish

Cyase - nice job on linking that information about the do it yourself option.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:42 AM
orhanz33

i was gonna do that "do it yourself" project to, but couldn't find that 2.99 bracket that was described...I went to Pep Boys, and they had this big metal one (and it was like $10), so I bought that, but couldn't figure out how I was gonna get this thing to fit, so I said Fkit I'll just get the bracket from Strictly-Z....

P.S. I just called strictly Z, and they're out of stock on the brackets, he also said they were coming up with a new design for them...what's up with that?.......I went to courtesy parts, and discovered that you still have to drill holes(but in the grill) to get the bracket on...
Old 06-04-2003, 01:13 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

Yeah, in my crazy-go-nuts late night rant, I was talking about the frame. What could possibly be wrong with a bracket?
Old 06-04-2003, 02:18 PM
orhanz33

i just wanna make sure it isn't cheap or a bad design before I give up 40$ for it...it doesn't look real stable, but i'll take everyones word for it...i hope it doesn't vibrate or anything on the highway
Old 06-04-2003, 04:41 PM
stevew

I have had the bracket on for two months and am very happy with it. Very simple installation, black anodized aluminum. The two holes you drill are in the back, flat part of the grill near the towing hook, takes 30 seconds to drill. The holes would not even be noticable if you removed the bracket.