Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NO DRILL front plate bracket! LOOK!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 08:15 PM
zcar70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation NO DRILL front plate bracket! LOOK!!

My gift to all you fellow z-car nuts:

You do not have to drill ANY holes to mount the 350Z front plate.
Here's how:
- Go to your local auto parts store and buy the $2.99 "Universal License Plate Bracket". It is about 8 inches long with LOTS of holes and slots so it will fit any application.
- Go to your local hardware store and get two 3" x 1/4" toggle bolts.
- Mount the bracket with the toggle bolts through the grill to each side of the tow-hook area. DO NOT drill holes! Snug it down.
- Mount your plate TO THE BRACKET.

That's it! The bracket fits over the tow hook area and is easily removed by simply loosening the toggle bolts. Since the plate is mounted to the bracket and NOT the grill directly, there is not contact to painted areas and thus no rubbing/scratching.Total cost about 4 bucks......lots cheaper than the one Courtesy is selling!

Z on!
Old 04-02-2003, 05:27 AM
zcar70

I have do it...it looks GREAT! Like a factory fit. i will try to post pics this weekend.
Old 04-02-2003, 08:21 PM
Canadian350Z

Are those toggles stainless?

Will it pose a problem in the future is they're not?
Old 04-22-2003, 10:12 AM
kilroywuzhere

Originally posted by zcar70
I have do it...it looks GREAT! Like a factory fit. i will try to post pics this weekend.
What ever happened to the pics?
Old 04-22-2003, 10:43 AM
BloodRed

Default Alternative...

...you could just skip all that, throw your front tag in the trash and tell the officer you lost it and you're going to DMV to get a new one in a couple days.

A front tag on a sports car is like a fly in your beer...ruins an otherwise perfectly good thing - unless you get rid of it.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:42 PM
vance45

zcar70,

Thank you very much! It works and looks great.

I wasn't comfortable with 2 toggle bolts so I used 4, which made the bracket super tight. I also added a chrome license plate frame, with plastic cover, that matched the chrome on the Z's grill.

It's dark out now. I will try to take pictures tommorrow.

Total cost=$14

Vance

PS: How do I post pictures?

Last edited by vance45; 04-24-2003 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:53 PM
Canadian350Z

Still wondering about the stainless?

Aren't you afraid the toggle will rust?
Old 04-24-2003, 09:41 PM
phile

My license plate is screwed right into my front bumper. I'm pissed. I've had my car since february... But I took the front plate off today because I added the chrome door edge molding to my grill. When I took the plate off, I see two big ugly looking holes (where the mounting bracket was screwed in), and two dents where the plate was screwed in. Since the dealer used a screwdriver, it drew some of the urethane outward (so the holes are actually MOUNDS!) I really didn't hit me till I took the plate off. The plate really detracts from the look of the car. I might get the balsarini front bumper and rear spoiler. If I do, no more plate on the front of my car.
Old 04-25-2003, 02:21 PM
zcar70

Default NO Drill details..................

Hi again......

Sorry, but my digital camera died and I haven't as yet been able to post pics.

BUT, if you give it a try, you will see that this is the simplest, most direct temporary but secure option for those of you requiring a front plate. It can quickly be removed for car shows and such and at the same time is very secure and looks like how the factory SHOULD have done it!

If you are concerned about severe rusting, you can use stainless, aluminum or zinc plated toggles. They are more expensive, but should take that worry away. My Z won't be driven in inclement weather at all, so it isn't a concern for me.

Try it folks, it works!

Z on!

www.zccr.net
Old 04-25-2003, 03:27 PM
TereP

Default A Cheaper Alternative

1. Put plate in vinyl sleeve (protect against sharp plate edges)
2. Strap it to passenger's sun visor, thusly...
Attached Thumbnails NO DRILL front plate bracket!  LOOK!!-frtplt2.jpg  
Old 04-25-2003, 03:37 PM
stevew

The visor solution isn't legal everywhere, including in California I believe.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:57 PM
TereP

Originally posted by stevew
The visor solution isn't legal everywhere, including in California I believe.
Weeel... If you apply a little creative thinking, the sun visor solution does meet the letter of the law in California.

I've attached the pertinent sections of the California Code below my analysis.

Analysis of Code:
1. Attached to the vehicle -- yep
2. Attached to the front of the vehicle -- yep, front half for sure
3. Securely fastened -- secure enough (not a road hazard)
4. Not swinging -- yep, not flapping in the breeze
5. Clearly visible and legible -- yep (when it's flipped down)
6. Not more than 60" above the ground -- yep, for sure
7. Casing -- Most likely OK; believe the vinyl cover meets specs

Basically, the way most state codes are worded, all they're concerned about is that it is visible from the front and is fastened in such a way that it doesn't pose a road hazard by flying off the vehicle. If you look at most state codes, you'll see similar wording. Thus far I have not read any state codes that actually specify "attached to front bumper." Of course I haven't read them all...

California:
VEHICLE CODE
SECTION 5200-5206

5200. When two license plates are issued by the department for a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear. When one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof.

5201. License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging and shall be mounted in a position to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground, except as follows:
(a) The rear license plate on a tow truck may be mounted on the left-hand side of the mast assembly at the rear of the cab of the vehicle, not less than 12 inches nor more than 90 inches from the ground.
(b) The rear license plate on a tank vehicle hauling hazardous aste, as defined in Section 25117 of the Health and Safety Code, or asphalt material may be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 90 inches from the ground.
(c) The rear license plate on a truck tractor may be mounted at he rear of the cab of the vehicle, not less than 12 inches nor more than 90 inches from the ground.
(d) The rear license plate of a vehicle designed by the manufacturer for the collection and transportation of garbage, rubbish, or refuse and which is used regularly for the collection and transportation of that material by any person or governmental entity employed to collect, transport, and dispose of garbage, rubbish, or refuse may be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 90 inches from the ground.
(e) No covering shall be used on license plates except as follows:
(1) The installation of a cover over a lawfully parked vehicle to protect it from the weather and the elements does not constitute a violation of this subdivision. Any peace officer or other regularly salaried employee of a public agency designated to enforce laws, including local ordinances, relating to the parking of vehicles may temporarily remove so much of the cover as is necessary to nspect any license plate, tab, or indicia of registration on a vehicle.
(2) The installation of a license plate security cover is not a violation of this subdivision if the device does not obstruct or impair the recognition of the license plate information, including, but not limited to, the issuing state, license plate number, and registration tabs, and the cover is limited to the area directly over the top of the registration tabs. No portion of a license plate security cover shall rest over the license plate number.
(f) No casing, shield, frame, border, or other device that obstructs or impairs the reading or recognition of a license plate by a remote emission sensing device, as specified in Sections 44081 and 44081.6 of the Health and Safety Code, shall be installed on, or affixed to, a vehicle.

5202. Every license plate issued by this State or any other jurisdiction within or without the United States shall remain attached during the period of its validity to the vehicle for which it is issued while being operated within this State or during the time the vehicle is being held for sale in this State, or until such time as a vehicle with special or identification plates is no longer entitled to such plates and no person shall operate, nor shall an owner knowingly permit to be operated, upon any highway any vehicle unless the license plate is so attached. Special permits issued in lieu of plates shall be attached and displayed on the vehicle for which issued during the period of their validity.
Old 04-26-2003, 04:42 PM
breakerboy

This is all cool etc, but I'm with BloodRed on this one...
Old 04-28-2003, 04:47 PM
Cargui

The folks in PA are lucky; the state government there actually brags about not issuing front tags because of saved resources and money. I happen to agree with them, but live in Ohio where they are required.

Neither my wife's vehicle nor mine sport front tags. We happen to be lucky that the local police seem to care less. However, about ten years ago, when I used to live in Columbus, a cop downtown picked me up twice. He about had a heart attack the second time, but strangely enough didn't give me the ticket.

Both my wife and I do carry our front tags in the trunk, under the carpet. If we get pulled over for it, we will pull it out and tell a white lie about how the bracket broke and we're waiting for the dealership to call us with the new one.

When I do finally get a ticket for it, the years of driving without it will probably be worth the cost.

Cargui
Old 04-29-2003, 09:18 PM
kilroywuzhere

Default thanks!

this worked perfectly and was much easier on my current budget. Even found the universal plate mount for $3.99!

Total install about 8 bucks.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:02 AM
Cargui

Cool Even Better Solution

I was going to go as far as purposefully breaking the mounting bracket to show an officer--in case of getting pulled over for it--that it was indeed broken. If you want to be as covered as possible, it's not a bad idea.

But it all depends on where you could store it. Even in my wife's SUV, which I think we can all agree has about 100X more room than the Z, I didn't want to take any cabin room with the bracket or have it sliding around making noise or scratching up the interior. But one thing I hadn't thought of it stowing it with the spare. IF it would fit, that's a good place.

However, then you need to retrieve it when the officer pulls you over. While you could always say, "it was sliding around, making noise, scratching my interior," you don't want it to be too difficult to pull out.

I think it all depends on the level of enforcement in your particular area. We're lucky here; they are so lax we actually forget the law exists (this thread reminded me!). Other municipalities are relatively strict.

PA has some very interesting info and statistics on one of their Web sites. Couldn't hurt to site some of that data when writing a letter to your state rep. In these tough budgetary times, a politician might jump on the idea of saving millions of dollars by eliminating the front tag, especially with security focused on terrorism and not whether a criminal eluded the law because he wasn't sporting a front tag.

(Hopefully GPS and other emerging technologies will do away with the need for a front tag in ALL states. Eventually the cost/benefit ratio will simply get too expensive to justify spending taxpayer dollars.)

Cargui
Old 04-30-2003, 08:44 AM
kilroywuzhere

Default Re: Even Better Solution

Originally posted by Cargui
I think it all depends on the level of enforcement in your particular area. We're lucky here; they are so lax we actually forget the law exists (this thread reminded me!). Other municipalities are relatively strict.
CA is on fire strict, at least in SoCal can't speak for NorCal. I actually have an uncle who was cited in long term parking at LAX for no front plate....the cop aparently just wandered long term parking and gave citations for no front plate...welcome back from business/vacation!
Old 04-30-2003, 09:14 AM
Cargui

Kilroy,

That stinks, for sure. I guess in some cases you either have to sport a front plate or just not care if you have to pay fines!

Cargui
Old 04-30-2003, 10:07 AM
kilroywuzhere

Cargui,

Well, since I am currently between jobs 8 bucks beats fines...and to be honest the plate in the grill and not on the bumper doesn't actually look to bad.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:18 PM
doc2be

Can someone post the law for CT or direct me to where I can find it? I've been looking for it and know that it requires 2 plates but I'm looking for a solution such as the visor but want more info.

thanks

Quick Reply: NO DRILL front plate bracket! LOOK!!