Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Quick question about dealers

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 01:04 AM
vanstorm16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question about dealers

Do dealers get a discount off of the "dealer invoice"? If so, any ideas of how much?
Old 08-08-2002, 02:52 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as I know, invoice is what the dealer pays the manufacturer for the car. In other words the place where you buy your car, buys it from Nissan for invoice price. There is something called a "dealer holdback" that the manufacturer pays the dealer for every car they sell (usually 1-2 per cent of the price of the car). So in essence, they (dealers) do get the car for a little less than invoice.
Old 08-08-2002, 04:59 AM
FLZMan

A few years back I talked to a dealer that sold cars at invoice. I asked him how he made his money. His response was he got a holdback on each car at 3% (holdback differs by manufacturer and this guy was a chevrolet dealer) He also said he was reimbursed the transportation costs to. This dealer did not keep much of an inventory and you basically factory ordered the car. His sales force was on salary. He didn't throw into the equation the most lucrative part of a new car purchase which is when you see the friendly Finance and Insurance guy. He is the one to watch out for....higher interest rates (he will charge you what ever you agree to ) then he puts the squeeze on you for extended warranty, rust proofing etc the cost of which is 85-90% profit to the dealer. If you go to Edmunds.com I think they will tell you the holdback for each model and make.
Old 08-08-2002, 05:03 AM
2003z

thats why I always lie and low-ball them when they ask what rate my credit union gave me. Twice I've had them beat the credit union. The game is much more fun and fair when you know the rules
Old 08-08-2002, 05:26 AM
Boomer

Default ? Dealers

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
As far as I know, invoice is what the dealer pays the manufacturer for the car. In other words the place where you buy your car, buys it from Nissan for invoice price. There is something called a "dealer holdback" that the manufacturer pays the dealer for every car they sell (usually 1-2 per cent of the price of the car). So in essence, they (dealers) do get the car for a little less than invoice.
Check w/ Edmunds.com. They have an explanation about dealer holdback. Since, at first, all the Zs dealers deliver to a customer are preordered, disregarding the people who had to drop out, they keep all of the holdback plus MSRP(approx. $4000 per sold car). Any charges over that are pure greed or, they are using their Z overprofit to defray their costs on unsold inventory or overhead expenses.

If they need to do that, they may fall into the category of poor sales and service and will seize any opportunity to maximize their profit on a popular car. Check with the Better Business Bureau when a dealer tries this crap, it might be enlightening and give you some leverage with the dealer(they may not need any more negative reports with the BBB).

Boomer--just a thought.
BR/FR/AT