2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

RWD Tips/differances

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 04:08 AM
jerry_2612

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RWD Tips/differances

Hey everyone,

I searched and couldn't find anything as explicit/to the point that I'm curious about, and googling just returned a bunch of FWD/RWD advantages and disadvantages pages..

Basically, I'm moving from a FWD car to a RWD car (the Z) and don't want to look like a your typical 21yo dip**** who can't drive his lovely new sports car. The car will only be a daily driver (no track trips) so is there anything in particular that RWD cars do to make the experience of driving different from a FWD? or am I just thinking too much into it... the test drives (though only short) didn't feel all too different.

On a side note, if you're going to make a clever one-liner response, please close the window and have some chocolate instead
Old 12-02-2007, 04:23 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you are thinking way to much into it. I can say that FWD was more forgiving but it's easier to correct RWD when going out of control. Just take it easy on the gas when turning. Besides that, i can't really think of how it's that different.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:26 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is only one way to get good at it, go out and drive. no amount of explaining how to do it on a internet forum is going to yield anything useful to you at all
Old 12-02-2007, 04:42 AM
PM-Performance

go out and drive and you will see the difference. I was big into FWD for a while. I got into RWD cars and you never want to go back.
I drive my wifes fwd car every once in a blue moon and deff hate it.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:12 AM
MoJ

During conservative daily driving you won't notice much difference. If you have somewhere to play around you should get a feel for the point at which the rear end will break lose.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:28 AM
shadykilla717

Ok.. Here's a question. Any tips or tricks to driving in the snow? And get a beater is NOT an option. This will be driven in the winter. And everyone going crazy on here makes me nervous.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:35 AM
MoJ

Originally Posted by shadykilla717
Ok.. Here's a question. Any tips or tricks to driving in the snow? And get a beater is NOT an option. This will be driven in the winter. And everyone going crazy on here makes me nervous.
Ideally, snow tires.

Otherwise, accelerate slowly, corner slowly, and allow plenty of distance to brake. (same as any other car)
Old 12-02-2007, 05:39 AM
my05350z

twice in a month the rear end has broken loose in a hard left turn. Cant tell if its the wheels (low thread) or it reached its limit. I wasnt pushing it any harder than i used to push my audi a4.

When it goes loose, its unstable and the tcs cuts in. Now thats a really wierd experience for me. Could turn it off, but i am still learning and until i figure out who's messing up, me or the car, i think its smart to stick with whats been working.

The point is, do like that guy said and take it easy on the turns!!!
Old 12-02-2007, 05:43 AM
SRTtoZ

I too am goin from FWD to RWD and ive only noticed 1 difference. If you get on it on a turn you are goin to fishtail like crazy but its fun...

Other than that, the same really...
Old 12-02-2007, 05:45 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i hope some of you will learn how to counter steer or else one day you will crash and find out the hard way of this so called "fun".
Old 12-02-2007, 05:54 AM
SRTtoZ

Ive kept control of my 450hp/almost 500ft pounds of torque FWD car for 2 years, I think I can conrol this and countersteer.

torque steer anyone?

Last edited by SRTtoZ; 12-02-2007 at 05:57 AM.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:57 AM
shadykilla717

Yea my civic was faster then a 350z. And I even had the back of that car kick out alot and I was able to catch it. Granted the technique to catch it would be a bit different. Because wit FWD I would let go of the gas. Try and str8 it out and when I hit the gas It'll pull it back straight. With a RWD I don't know how much of that effect remains true. But I learned go with how the are is. Don't force it back. Work with the car to make it wanna go back straight. Weight and hard to explain but yea..

Guess I do need snow tires too. I mean. I know everyone says its horrible to drive a Z in the snow. But its horrible to drive any car in the snow.... Just gotta learn to drive with the elements.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:58 AM
SRTtoZ

Yea, 350z' seem to wannna go sideways a lot...

This is my first RWD car but my friend who drifts tells me thast why this car is used for drifting so much...
Old 12-02-2007, 06:23 AM
shadykilla717

So should all of us in snow learn to drift?? I mean I did wanna learn.... It's only expected to have the trouble.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:28 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You will notice a difference with spirited driving:

FWD: Acceleration transfers weight from the front to rear. Braking moves the weight over the drive wheels.

RWD: Acceleration transfers weight from the front to rear (the drive wheels). When accelerating through a turn, you will notice that the rear wheels have traction, and are pushing the car through the turn.

Tapping the brakes in a turn is a general no-no: you have just decreased drive wheel traction.

The differences are subtle not drastic. An experience driver will learn the differences in a couple of days, and adjust driving style accordingly.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:31 AM
davidv

Any tips or tricks to driving in the snow?
Don't.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:36 AM
shadykilla717

Originally Posted by davidv
Don't.
I said that is not acceptable lol. I have to drive it in the snow. I mean I'm lucky I hit a main road or a highway in long island I'll be ok for the most part. Side streets will be tricky. I'm lucky I don't get many with where I live. But I'm gonna go with the same ones I always do. Drive slow where I see more slush and crap. Slow on turns.. If I slide slowly accelerate off the slide and hope for traction to gain so I stop sliding.. Gonna be funn..
Old 12-02-2007, 08:46 AM
SRTtoZ

This is going to be my ONLY winter in the Z. And I will not drive it if it snows badly but it will still be in the elements (which I HATEEEE)....

Next year I will have a beater and store it for the winter.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:48 AM
davidv

I said that is not acceptable lol. I have to drive it in the snow. I mean I'm lucky I hit a main road or a highway in long island I'll be ok for the most part. Side streets will be tricky. I'm lucky I don't get many with where I live. But I'm gonna go with the same ones I always do. Drive slow where I see more slush and crap. Slow on turns.. If I slide slowly accelerate off the slide and hope for traction to gain so I stop sliding.. Gonna be funn..

LOL. Same problem in Baltimore. From my house to the highway is only 3 blocks. The highway is clear - side streets are hell.

There are plenty of wheel-snow tire suggestions in the tire forum. Thin is in: 6 or 7 inch wheels with snow tires.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:56 AM
banshee

I've noticed that when in a turn and with acceleration, the front may want to float around a little... especially when going over a bump or on rough pavement... This may be a tread issue as well... Just something I noticed after getting my ride.

Quick Reply: RWD Tips/differances